Do Over

Written by: on August 24, 2023

Endeavor, Lewis, and Morse

I’ll spend a few minutes providing a brief synopsis for those unfamiliar with who or what these three words mean. The words are titles of a top-rated, long-running series based on a fictional character, Inspector Morse, and his partner/mentee, Lewis. Their names represent three standalone series with three different lead characters. However, all three shows are based in Oxford.

Anyone familiar with the shows and characters will recognize that I have them in reverse order regarding when they were televised. The first show to premiere was Morse which ran from the late 1980s – 1990s. His partner or mentee was Lewis. Lewis premiered in 2006 and ran for nine years.[1] The latest was the PBS hit Endeavor, Morse’s first name, and it recently ended ten seasons. I started watching the Endeavor series first then randomly found Lewis on one of the British streaming channels a few years ago. And alas, I discovered Morse over the summer. Unbeknownst to me, I had found a hidden gem in Morse, and the shows were all related. Eureka! As I started watching Morse, my excitement was through the roof because of our upcoming trip to Oxford. I was more tuned into the names of the Oxford Colleges and scenery – those things had escaped me when I watched the other two series. I tried to make mental notes of where I wanted to visit.

Oxford History

Then I read The Secret History of Oxford and watched the video by Alice Loxton, “The Secrets of Oxford’s Streets/And What Lies Beneath the University.” I discovered that, once again, I had read/watched in reverse order. If I had read the book and watched the video before watching Morse, I would have gleaned more from the show’s historical setting. Hence my title, Do Over.

The Secret History of Oxford reminded me how old Oxford – and all of Europe – is compared to the United States. Reading about the historical narratives with dates as far back as possibly 1009 BC according to the Prehistory and Mythology section in chapter one [2] is almost unfathomable for me to comprehend. Additionally, the Brief History Chapter intertwined the historical facts with the mythical tales, which also sheds light on how vulnerable our historical narratives are – especially today with the attempts to rewrite and whitewash our American history. Let me not digress. I would have loved to have the opportunity to sit in the pub with two of Oxford’s celebrities, C.S. Lewis and Tolkien, while they discussed their writings.[3] And, the Radcliffe Camera, a frequent site used in the Morse series, was another highlight discussed in the video. What could a certain Lead Mentor do with 600,000 square feet of space?[4] How long would it take him to fill it with his Dewey Decimal system of cataloged books?  Again, I digress.

Merton Street

I was able to find another video about Oxford. It focused only on Merton Street in Oxford because of its frequent use in the Morse, Lewis, and Endeavor series. Viola! I had found a reference that merged my love of the series with the task at hand – to write a post about Oxford. The video was filmed and directed by Kit Sullivan, who walked down Merton Street and pointed out the specific locations and corresponding episode(s) the referenced site was used in. He pointed out the cobblestone street, the Oxford University Examination School (seen in Lewis series 7, episode 1 and Lewis series 4, episode 1)[5]; Merton College, Magpie Lane, Merton Grove Walk, and many more historic locations.

Final Thoughts

However, I still need a do-over. Having watched the shows and read my assignments in reverse order, I missed out on the interrelationships and historical aspects between the three series. One of the strengths of all the series is its character development. The shows established a deep connection with Oxford (historically, politically, and socially) and expanded those connections to demonstrate how they formed and informed the characters as people. Indeed, I missed out on many of the intended nuances in each storyline because I lacked background knowledge. Because of this lack of knowledge, one of the things I failed to grasp was how Endeavor’s love for the classics was a key component of his identity starting with the original Morse character.

As I dig deeper, the study of history can inform us about the culture and nature of the people groups inhabiting the area and era when told with as much objectivity and truth as possible. It can help us understand the interrelationships of various community groups, the vulnerabilities and strengths of the people, and the nuances reflected in their behavior and attitudes. It even has the potential to motivate us to reach across the sea of divide with excitement to make new friends.

[1] Jim McDermott, “Endeavor, Inspector Morse and Lewis: A Trinity” (August 6, 2020): https://crc.blog.fordham.edu/arts-culture/endeavour-inspector-morse-and-lewis-a-trinity/

[2] Paul Sullivan, The Secret History of Oxford (Stroud: The History Press, 2013), 10.

[3] Alice Loxton, “The Secrets of Oxford’s Streets/And What Lies Beneath the University,” February 22, 2023, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jck5VOnNL0s

[5] Kit Sullivan, “Merton Street and Morse,” June 26, 2020, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNvL1XLmhN8

Audrey Robinson

10 responses to “Do Over”

Audrey, thank you for sharing. I have now added these three shows to my “watch list.” Having grown up in Southern California, I am accustomed to seeing sights used for various television shows and movies, but I always love traveling abroad and visiting places that are in one show or another. There is something about standing in that place, especially a place with as much history as Oxford. If only the walls and the streets could talk! What stories they would tell us… Standing there, placing my hand on a wall that is older than my country, it is a surreal experience. Is there one specific spot you most look forward to seeing?

• mm Audrey Robinson says:

Becca,
      I can’t imagine having attended school there and what it must have been like for you. Life-changing is what comes to mind.

I would most like to go to Merton St. and to the pub where C.S. Lewis visited – even though I know it is closed. I think wherever I am available to go I will treasure.

I look forward to seeing you.

2. Audrey,
    Thank you for digging deep in your blogs. You will always add more to what the authors communicated to us. Thank you and safe travels to London.

3. mm Shonell Dillon says:

I am not quite familiar with any of the characters that you mentioned. I imagine that they have left a last impression on you and placed hopes in your heart while experiencing Oxford. I pray that all of your expectations are met and more.

Hi Audrey
    Wow! I had not heard of these shows until our zoom session last week. I had no idea that you are a fan of these shows. I bet you will be able to lead some walking tours of Oxford based on the episodes you watched!
    Looking forward to catching up!

• mm Audrey Robinson says:

Chad,
      I am so looking forward to our excursions – not sure I can lead them – there is so much to see. I will be like a kid in a candy store.

Yes, same here, I’m looking forward to catching up.

Audrey,

Were you able to go to the spots on your list? I know we all had the most amazing time there…. I sure will remember that time we ran in the rain with our luggage.

What was a spot that you visited that will hold the most meaning?

• mm Audrey Robinson says:

Alana,
      I did not get to see many of the places I mentioned in the blog other than seeing the place where C.S. Lewis frequented. But I had a blast going to the places with my peer group. The most meaning? Wow. I would have to say Christ Church – it was the most amazing place.

Running in the rain – priceless.