You Had Me at Tools and Tactics

Ronald Heifetz and his co-authors Alexander Grashow and Marty Linsky had me at the subtitle of The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: “Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World.” Heifetz, Grashow, and Linsky all lead Cambridge Leadership Associates, a leadership development firm that spans international borders and sectors of industry. Having additional experience in educational capacities, this business and leadership book combines the theoretical framework with practical tools for leaders to feel empowered to address and positively impact their sphere of influence. This book very quickly rose to my short list of books from this program that I am confident I will return to over and over again.

The authors begin by emphasizing that truly adaptive leaders are able to “keep one eye on the events happening immediately around [them] and the other eye on the larger patterns and dynamics” as “systematic and personal realities always play out simultaneously.”[1] The book then dives into the theory of adaptive leadership, the importance of diagnosis (a key component may leaders fail to do), and how to make significant change, all with the goal of building adaptive capacity. Throughout the chapters, two sections are prominently included: “on the balcony” which challenges the reader to think and question the given topic from a higher perspective and a “on the practice field” which equips the reader with tools and tactics that can immediately be deployed including questions, activities, or specific areas to consider. Personally, it is these components that distinguish the book from others as it is easy to talk about something, but much harder to guide people through something with such intentionality and specifics. Additionally, the authors include various charts, assessments, and examples to make the concepts and theories discussed more tangible.

As one in a middle-upper leadership role at my university and in conversations about continuing to advance my sphere of influence and scope of my role, I found myself marking the tools that I can envision implementing immediately for not only my teams but myself personally. A few of the nuggets that I do not want to forget:

• “Exercising adaptive leadership is dangerous.” I had never heard that explanation for the origins of the term leader and I think it even further delineates those who truly lead versus those who manage.[2]
  • With the term inspire meaning to “take breath in, to fill with spirit,” I am all the more encouraged and convicted to more deeply seek the One who has placed me in any given leadership role than I currently do.[3]
  • I want to “say a hard no” each day. There is risk involved and different choices will need to be made if I truly want to engage in adaptive leadership.[4]
  • Get comfortable with disappointing people. From the diagnosis to implementation of the new, people will be disappointed for one reason or another – this is not a bad thing as long as the reasons for the disappointment have been navigated with intentionality, wisdom, and prayer.
  • Make it a habit of showing my incompetence. Whether a subject matter or skillset, it will be critical for me to model incompetence in a society that so aims for perfection.[5] I would like to think I have done this plenty throughout this program!

Additionally, a few of the primary connections to previous readings that stuck out to me:

• Friedman: an adaptive leader needs to be a well-differentiated leader.
  • Poole: there is an art to practicing and experimenting, which if done well, open the doors for others to feel comfortable to do the same.
  • Warner & Northouse: management and leadership are two distinctly different modalities and one does not necessitate the other.
  • O’Toole: practicing adaptive leadership will lend itself more naturally for those under the scope of influence to speak truthfully.
  • Nettle: personality will play into individual purpose.

If I were to identify some components that I wish were included in this book it would be further cultural considerations for some of the topics discussed when working in intercultural teams and contexts. As their subtitle suggests changing the world, I believe it is therefore crucial to have a more comprehensive understanding of different cultures and people groups. Pairing this book with Meyer would provide a fuller picture for how adaptive leaders can navigate such challenges. The other would be a discussion on biases and how they could play into a false diagnosis depending on the context or limit engagement from some under your sphere of leadership. However, a fool for the practical tools, I walk away from the reading this week feeling more empowered towards practicing adaptive leadership and equipped for what challenges and opportunities that may come in doing so.

[1] Heifetz, et al, 8.

Kayli Hillebrand

Associate Dean of International and Experiential Education

9 responses to “You Had Me at Tools and Tactics”

1. mm Andy Hale says:

Kayli,

Wow, what a fantastic connection with Meyer. You are so right. I have been a Heifetz fan for years but could not put my finger on why I had a different insight this go around in reading this book.

Ms. Kayli: You mentioned your agreement with the authors about how we must, “Make it a habit of showing my incompetence.” It is being vulnerable and willing to learn as opposed to pretending and posturing. It is OK for a leader to say “I don’t know, but I will find out.” And then go and learn. Ahh, the pressures of leadership…

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

The best leaders I have been under all showcased their incompetence. I think what is authentic to that leader in lack of knowledge or skillset is really what this is driving at. I often use “I don’t know but I can find it out” in conversations with administration, colleagues, and students.

3. mm Denise Johnson says:

Kayli,
    Thanks for your post. I appreciate how you tied the previous readings. I thought about them but didn’t do it. I’m curious, how might you “teach” your students to be “on the balcony” while engaging in an unfamiliar culture?

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

Such a fun question, Denise! I think specifically when I think of our study and service programs, there were several ‘on the balcony’ questions that I’d love to incorporate into our debriefing while on the field and off. Many of which could also be included in pre-departure orientations without them knowing it.

Kayli, I appreciate your personal engagement and takeaways from this post. Near the end, you mention the need for more inclusion of non-Western cultural aspects of adaptive leadership. Are there a couple of examples of that need that you have encountered in your experience in your role?

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

Hi Roy: I really wish I could point to specific authors or books on this but I cannot. For me, most of my engagement has been in conferences and professional relationships with global partners. I think we can see that even in our reading selections throughout the years how challenging it is to find a wide range of global scholarship.

5. mm Nicole Richardson says:

Kayli, It makes good sense why you appreciated this book. What ways do Friedman’s call for personal responsibility inform Heifetz’s call to not be disappointed? How might those ways help nurture your work?