You Don’t Know the Power of the Dark Side…No Really You Don’t

In reading Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: How to Become an Effective Leader by Confronting Potential Failures by Gary McIntosh and Samuel Rima, I could not decide what scared me the most. The fact that I could see in myself all five of the unhealthy leadership patterns, or the examples given in each of those patterns and how easy it seemed they succumbed to those dark sides. As I read on, I was encouraged by the stories of triumph such as Abraham Lincoln. His dark side tendencies were driven from family issues that gave him a “sense of inferiority and lack of self worth”[1]. If a man can overcome those things to become a great man there is hope for all.

Thus the move to my title, yes it is cheesy, yes I am a nerd/dork/geek, but who cares. If we are not careful, our dark side tendencies can overcome and eventually destroy anything good we may accomplish. The authors argue the dark side is not necessarily a harmful think if we are aware of it. In fact, like Lincoln, we can harness the energies derived from these things and focus them in a positive way. Lincoln recognized his dark side, he put measures into place that would ensure his dark side would not negatively impact his leadership.[2] Another example of overcoming the dark side was the example of Bill Hybels the founder of Willow Creek Community Church. His dark side consisted of working himself to the point of exhaustion 24/7 365 was his calling card. Fortunately, for him he was able to confront his dark side and overcome his issues to become effective in his ministry.[3]

Of course, for every story of overcoming, there are two who have fallen. Whether it is Jim Bakker and his shady dealing in both money and adultery, or Richard Nixon whose paranoia led to a disastrous downfall, our dark side can quickly take over and drive us into destruction. When reading the different traits listed of each trait, I felt as if a magnifying glass was on my inner being. Reading through some of the qualities of a obsessive leader, there I was, worrying if what I have done is good enough, hating the interruptions of my routine among others. [4]  In the narcissistic leader I see someone who once thought he was bullet proof at his church, and even though it led to stepping down, he never flinched in his thoughts. In reading about the paranoid leader I see a man who is worried if someone wants to “discuss” something with him, it has to be bad. Looking at the co-dependent who would rather everyone be happy with each other rather than fixing a problem. Finally, the passive aggressive leader makes himself known with a ridiculously short fuse. In short, I am the perfect dark side leader, you might as well rename me Darth Idiot. Why on earth would anyone hire me into a leadership position?

That question leads me into my favorite part of this book. In chapter four, Shedding Divine Light on the Dark Side, the McIntosh and Rima start off with an extremely wise statement. “If we are ever going to understand the sources and effects of our dark side well enough to overcome it and keep it from destroying our ability to lead for God’s glory, we must seriously consider God’s original design for us and the corruption of that design”.[5] This is the chapter where the rubber meets the road for a church leader, or a secular leader who is a Christian. Through out the chapter the authors give examples of the dark side of leadership and the scriptural answer to said problem. In his review of this book John Engler highlights the fact that biblical character examples are used exhaustively. [6]

To me, the dark side is one of two things in our lives. One, is the enemy, Satan,  John 10:10 states “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy”. So, how do we fight this, well armor up. Ephesians 6 commands us to put on the full armor of God, that we may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil (Ephesians 6:11). This is not a fight we have to rely on ourselves to overcome. Through the word of God, his truth and righteousness we can stand against the attacks of Satan. The second is ourselves. I am not downplaying the influence Satan can bring against us, but I also do not want to give him to much credit. I feel that sometimes I have found it to easy to blame him for my short comings, when I was the one to blame. The authors quote Proverbs 16:2 “All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, but the Lord weighs the motives”.[7] Pastors can be our own worst enemy, this is the takeaway from this book for me. We have to watch the pitfalls of the dark side of being put in a position of authority. It is an a gift and we should treat it as such. Not lording it over others, not wearing out selves out worrying what others think, not thinking of ourselves in a haughty manner. But to accept the mantle of leadership and as Christ showed us, be a servant to thase we are called to lead.

72

[1] McIntosh, Gary, and Samuel D. Rima. Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: How to Become an Effective Leader by Confronting Potential Failures. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2007. P. 150.

[2] Ibid. p 151.

[3] Ibid. p. 53-55.

[4] Ibid. p. 109

[5] Ibid. p. 57.

[6] Engler, John. “Review: Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership.” Review: Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership. 2002. Accessed March 01, 2018. http://www.barnabasministry.com/review-darkside.html.

[7] McIntosh, Gary, and Samuel D. Rima. Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: How to Become an Effective Leader by Confronting Potential Failures. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2007. P. 62.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

13 responses to “You Don’t Know the Power of the Dark Side…No Really You Don’t”

Jason,
    Dear Darth J,
    I am sure you were hired into your pastoral position because you were called, you answered the call, and the elders, pastor, and search committee for your church also felt your calling and confirmation from the Holy Spirit. Praise the Lord we don’t have to figure these things out on our own.
    Thanks for being an Armor of God supporter! I find that a lot of Christians and even Pastor’s acknowledge the command, but very few regularly apply it to their own daily preparation. I think deep down, many worry about their armor being tested.
    I have given many armor of God messages to 12 Step Recovery program members, and I always use the Surgeon General’s Warning- paraphrased from smoking and contextualizes for the armor of God application. While the armor of God is not hazardous to your health, wearing it rightly requires practice, practice, practice; followed by testing and then more practice. I think taking the mantle in ministry leadership requires practice and testing too. How do you prepare for your day; do you consciously put on the armor of God every morning? I know for me, I sometimes have to check my armor several times in a day, depending on the spiritual attacks that are on-going.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mike,
      If I don’t check my armor multiple times a day, I am assured of a miserably used day. I get so distracted that I have to continually go to God for reinforcement, (prayer, word, etc). Probably what Paul was referencing when he exhorts us to “pray continually”.

• Kyle Chalko says:

Great job, Jason, in my dark moments I too wonder how God could have placed me here. I think I’ve been prideful in how I’ve held on to some of my sin. I hold on to it saying, this sin is so bad it can’t be really forgotten. I also know that I struggle with the “Battlefield of the mind” as Joyce Meyers calls it. I can be my own worst enemy throughout the week. If someone else talked to me the way I talk to myself, I would punch them in the face.

Hi Jason,
    Thanks for your application of the text to your own life. From the blogs I’ve read, most people had the same moment of self-realization at the start of the book and hope after reading the shedding the light chapter with scripture reference. You are absolutely right in this statement – “We have to watch the pitfalls of the dark side of being put in a position of authority.” This is especially true when you are leading in God’s name. Things that may be forgivable or overlooked in corporate America will be highly scrutinized in ministry. Do they prepare you for that in seminary?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jean,
      You know in seminary they say it till they are blue in the face, but, in reality until you experience it for yourself you are not ready for it. At least, that has been true for me. It may just be how I learn, but I am really good at “burning my hand on the stove” and then figuring out where I went wrong.

Hi Jason,

I am thankful for your honesty about seeing all five dark side components in yourself. I wondered if I might be the only one who saw that in myself.

As always, thank you for your Scripture references. And thank you Lord for putting imperfect people in your Word!

Was there one Bible character who most closely resembled your dark side tendencies? Mine was Moses…

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jay,
      Since I did not find Christ until I was 30 I have always had an affinity for Paul. I grew up going to church but until then it was just lip service. I see in myself some Samson, I desperately want to please people, and it gets me in over my head way to often.

4. Jason,

I really appreciate your vulnerability in discussing your dark side in this post. In fact, you have done this before (I’m thinking of the church in South Africa), and it is a good quality in a leader who will thrive.

I’ve been really helped over the years to have had a deeply insightful therapist who walked with me through profound darkness. She saw me once a week at my worst and was thoughtfully present through that time. It was an expensive but life changing investment. Now I am cultivating a relationship with a spiritual director who also helps me perceive God at work in me and to nurture openness to His Spirit on a monthly basis. I recommend either of these highly if you are able!

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mark,
      Thanks for your comments about therapy. My mom is an LPC and has always encouraged me to go to therapy. It is funny you are the third person in the last month to talk about the benefits received from therapy, maybe God is speaking to me…man I hate it when he has to hit me over the head. ;).

5. Great post Jason. I resonated with the Star Wars reference as well and couldn’t agree more with you that many pastors are very naive about the power that the dark side can have on their leadership and ministry. Your vulnerability was great also when you said…”We have to watch the pitfalls of the dark side of being put in a position of authority. It is a gift and we should treat it as such. Not lording it over others, not wearing our selves out worrying what others think, not thinking of ourselves in a haughty manner. But to accept the mantle of leadership and as Christ showed us, be a servant to those we are called to lead.” Great takeaway from the book and a great reminder to us all.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jake,
      Thanks for your encouragement, I always want to be humble but man I find my pride taking over way to much. I know you probably see this often in your time spent helping others. I appreciate what you do more than you can know.

6. Chris Pritchett says:

Thanks Jason for your humble and thoughtful post. I also resonated very much with the authors’ discussion on the leadership and the dark side of Abe Lincoln. I did not know that he had those struggles until I read this book. I also related to the sense in which I can fall prey to any of those categories of “dark” leadership described in the book. I appreciate your humility.

Jason, I always tell my congregation that the “Devil made me do it” comment will not work at our church. He may know what buttons to push, but we have to make the decision to sin…we did that all on our own. I appreciate the opaque view of self you always present in your post; I think that is the true secret to overcoming the dark side. I know that I am not always eager to face my short-comings, but that is the only way to conquer them; we have to be honest with those things that weaken us. Though it is not so obvious now, I use to be very much into fitness and working out; there is no sense in going to the gym to work out your legs and then deciding that it is too much work so you will just work on your arms instead. You always strengthen that which is weakest.