Wow! That went quickly!

Wait! What? This is our final advance and we finish in London/Oxford. I was nervous about Pecha Kucha in front of all of you stunning intellectuals already. Now I have to do it in the auspicious halls of English academia? Sorry, I’m out!! Have a good time y’all. (That is my inner TN redneck coming out. It happens when I get nervous.)

I’m not too concerned about culture shock even though Jason Clark tried to lay it on me with his books for this week. I am used to driving on the ‘other’ side of the road. (I still find myself occasionally getting in the wrong side of the car to drive when I am not paying attention.) I am looking forward to some fish n chips, I really miss having a good biscuit with my morning tea, and it has been a long time since I have had a good ‘banger’ (Now before you all think I am being rude, get your minds out of the gutter and check the glossary of your ‘Culture Shock’ books)

I have travelled to many parts of the world and passed through some cities in Europe I have never stepped outside of an airport on that continent. This will be my first time on the European side of the Atlantic to escape from an airport. (Assuming the US and UK are still on good terms by September and we are still permitted to enter.) Though London and England are a far cry from New Zealand and Australia the cultural connections are strong, and the similarities will in some ways make this advance seem a little like returning home or at least visiting a distant relative. No, the rugby isn’t as good for sure but their ‘footy’ is likely better. Whether it be sport, food, visiting iconic venues, walking the streets or whatever else is in store for us, I will do my best to blend into the crowds and watch, ever concerned about standing out as another loud, arrogant American tourist.

Mostly I expect the advance to be as amazing as the past two have been. The speakers and presentations have been solid in Cape town and Hong Kong and there is no reason to expect anything else from our amazing George Fox faculty and staff. While there I want to take advantage of every opportunity to connect with you all, talk about our dissertations, eat together, laugh together, pray together…

The time has flown by. There is still a lot of work to do before we get there not the least of which is preparing a Pecha Kucha that makes sense of my dissertation topic. I probably also ought to start looking at flights.

I am looking forward to this time with great expectations, mostly because of you and the experiences of the past two advances. The only thing that could possibly make this trip even better is if anyone has a contact with Paul. I would love to get a pic with him! Bucket List!!

Dan Kreiss

Former director of the Youth Ministry program at King University in Bristol, TN and Dean of the School of Missions. I have worked in youth ministry my entire life most of that time in New Zealand before becoming faculty at King. I love helping people recognize themselves as children of God and helping them engage with the world in all its diversity. I am particularly passionate about encouraging the church to reflect the diversity found in their surrounding community in regard to age, gender, ethnicity, education, economic status, etc. I am a husband, father of 4, graduate of Emmanuel Christian Seminary, an avid cyclist and fly-fisherman still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

8 responses to “Wow! That went quickly!”

1. Great post, Dan!

I know what you mean. I can’t believe that our last advance is coming soon! I’m actually looking forward to giving the presentation at Oxford. One, because of the splendor and two, because it’ll feel like we’re all attending Hogwarts. lol

What have you found was the biggest culture shock in your travels?

Dan, let’s find a good pub that serves bangers n mash. Love it!! I’m also willing to do a little Paul stalking 🙂

I too am thinking about the Pecha Kucha since someone has to go first (ME!) This quotes seems appropriate :-)…”Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.” 🙂 Welcome back and happy writing Dan!

3. Yes, yes, and yes. I’ll be walking with you, as I almost always have a near death experience crossing streets in British colony countries where they drive on the wrong, I mean LEFT, side of the road. I don’t care much for the bangers, but fish n chips, a good beer, and mushy peas are all faves for me. That, and a proper English tea, with scones and clotted cream.

Is cross-cultural living on your radar for next steps?

Dan!

I am petrified of driving on that side of the road. No fair you have experience. We were going to rent a car in Scotland, but I chickened out. There is not enough insurance in my portfolio to cover the potential accidents…

Welcome back from your mission trip. I can hardly wait to hear about it.

Jay

Dan,
    I was smiling through the entire read. Yes, the London advance will be incredible to culminate our journey together. Love the TN redneck influence – Ohio has some rednecks too. I have no contact to Paul but I will be thrilled to eat, pray, and chat together!

Hey Dan,

we might just run into him on the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

great examples of how we might get in trouble by using the queens english inappropriately

• Dan Kreiss says:

That is my absolute favorite car pool karaoke. I have it saved on my dvr and still watch it from time to time. Not sure we will get to liverpool so not likely we will get a pic with him at the statue or his childhood home. But if you can pull some strings and make something happen I will be eternally grateful

• Mark Petersen says:

When Dan mentioned wanting to meet Paul, I thought of the same Carpool Karaoke episode, Kyle. 🙂 Love this…