Women In Leadership

Written by: on December 7, 2017

When I picked up Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice edited by Nitin Nohria and Rakesh Kjurana I will admit I had some fear thinking about how big the book looked. That was before South Africa and learning through our readings this semester this very important lesson, I will not be able to fully read every book we are assigned in our program.  This brought a huge sense of relief to me, I was worried going into this program that I would have to make decisions on cutting down my ministry responsibilities so I could concentrate on all the reading required for my Dmin journey.  Happily that has not been the case, I have been able to work through keeping up with both, not that has not been some moments of panic, but I have worked through those times.

This being the case I chose to focus on one area in our book for this week.  The first was the chapter by Robin J. Ely and Deborah L. Rhode, Women and Leadership: Defining the Challenges.  Most people who know me would find my time spent on this chapter curious.  I have a wife who has dealt with many of the issues discussed within this chapter. She has been called a Nazi for making people actually work, been called many other names I will not grace this page with. She has had men come on to her that were both subordinates and superiors, and had to talk me out of going to have “talks” with these men. I may not be a woman who has had to deal with the issues discussed but I have seen its results. It has always been my opinion that women generally make better bosses. I am not sure where this comes from but there it is. One of the statements made by the authors “Until the home becomes and equal opportunity employer, women will pay the price in the world outside it” [1] struck home with me. My mother instilled a sense of it was everyone’s duty to help around the house.  It was because she also was a working single mother. I have been married since 1991 and my wife and I have always shared all of the duties.  Whither it was inside cleaning or outside earning we have always strived to share the load. She does not hold it against me when I have gone on trips for two or more weeks for work, nor have I. It was just an accepted part of the relationship.

So you may ask, how does this apply to my dissertation problem. Well, if my problem is getting the church out of its mindset of self centered that is a leadership problem. I know most in my denomination do not see most women as eligible to serve in a leadership position other than children’s ministry, youth ministry (sometimes), and missions (again sometimes).  The verse given to justify is always the same, 1 Timothy 2:12 “I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man: rather, she is to remain quiet.[2]  I have come to believe that Paul was speaking to a specific situation. Women in the Ancient Near East were not seen as having the same value as men. Jesus came along and made some radical changes, there were women always traveling and ministering with Jesus. Paul writes to us in Romans and Philippians to remember the women who were working along side him, Euodia and Syntyche in Philippians and Phoebe, Priscilla, and Mary in Romans, describing them as fellow workers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, this seems to be at odds with what he wrote to Timothy. One possibility for the difference could be this “women in Ephesus at this time were uneducated and secluded, Paul was warning that they could be misled by the false teachers trying to lure new Christians away from the church Paul wanted to establish. Those circumstances don’t necessarily exist today, because many women, when trained, have gifts that can bring blessing to both men and women.” [3] If this is the case, then this would allow women who are properly educated and trained to be a leader in a church other than what was discussed above. I would argue this is a possibility, especially in light of Paul’s writing in Galatians 3:28 which states “There is neither Jew or Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus”[4]  All of this to say, the church needs as many leaders working to reach the lost as possible, who am I to say you cannot work.  It would be akin to telling an African American, you cannot preach in the church where I serve, this was the case for many years in the United States, now I know of no churches or pastors who would say this would be a good thing. I know there are some in my denomination who would condemn me for writing this but, so be it.

There are many issues confronting the church today. In my opinion, we should look for as many good leaders as we can, no matter their gender or race. There are too many other issues facing the church today, to focus on something that could be bad theology.

[1]Ely, Robin J., and Deborah L. Rhode. Handbook of leadership theory and practice an HBS centennial colloquium on advancing leadership. Edited by Nitin Nohria and Rakesh Khurana. Boston, MA: Harvard Business press, 2010. 382.

[2] 1st Timothy 2:12, ESV.

[3] Briscoe, Jill. “Does the Bible Really Say I Can’t Teach Men?” WomenLeaders.com | Women Called to Ministry. Accessed December 07, 2017. https://www.christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/2007/january/does-bible-really-say-i-cant-teach-men.html.

[4] Galatians 3:28 ESV.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

5 responses to “Women In Leadership”

Jason,

Good job learning how to “time-share” between your priority tasks like ministry and our DMin program.
    I think Christian leaders make better leaders, if they are wearing their armor of God, keeping short accounts on life’s matters, and allowing the indwelling Holy Spirit to guide their paths. The quality of leadership, like many of God’s promises, is conditional. You must do “A” to obtain “B”. Sadly, most of the Christian leaders I see in the world are very poor leaders, because they try to lead out of their own strength, are living in sin, and not leveraging the “God in me” who has the right answer for every situation imaginable.

While God knows race, gender, and ethnicity because He created us, He gives us all the same Word, same source for salvation, and the same promise to be our Helper.

2. Jason,

I applaud your observations on women in leadership in the church and your courage in stating it in a context that might not be enthusiastic.

I wonder if your background of being raised by a single mother has given you increased sensitivity and passion for this issue, and for the marginalized in general? I’ll never forget your bold leadership in sharing at the Presbyterian Church in Guguletu Township on the privilege you’ve experienced, and how you are learning to let go.

Thank you for all you’ve done this fall in contributing to a wonderful cohort and learning experience. I pray you and your family will have a merry Christmas!

Hi Jason,

Wow, you took on a formidable one. Thank you for your candor. I also wrestle with this issue of women in leadership using the same Bible verses you do. I keep coming back to the same question, “Do they have a calling from God?”

I have seen good leaders, both male and female, with a calling. I have also seen leaders with personal agendas, both male and female…

Jason, I know for some this is not a courageous post, but a necessary one; for others it is purely controversial. For myself, I believe there is some tough issues that require love regardless of how you deal with the issue. I was raised in a very conservative church that does have certain roles limited according to sex. As I have grown and studied for myself, to be completely honest, I still believe that there are roles that have been assigned according to scripture. However, with that said, I do not believe that these roles should be designated through prejudice or sexism. I believe we can all be equal in the eyes of God and yet still serve different roles. We are taught that the church is the body of Christ, and that we are all separate parts of the body though we work together as a whole. A hand is part of the body, but does not serve the same role as foot; and yet, they are both vital and important to the body. I also believe that there is a huge difference between gender roles in scripture and racial roles that are not in scripture. Leadership requires the need to find the best roles for all of those who you lead, but we must still maintain to those teachings in scripture to guide our leadership. Social and modern views should not alter scripture; we should only accommodate God.

The major obstacle that I still see is the perception of outsiders from other groups that believe they understand the teaching of someone else’s program. In our congregation, some of the hardest working and most supportive members of our congregation are women. In no way are they oppressed or discriminated against, however, they are in agreement to the roles that they see defined in scripture. The relationship we have with one another is still founded in brotherly/sisterly love.

Jason, I appreciate that you and your willingness to be challenged by a topic that is controversial (at least in your denomination). Thanks for allowing us to hear your heart and what you have found looking in the Word. Keep studying the Word and keep having God teach you what you need to learn. We all are sojourners learning, struggling and seeking the Truth. Have a great Christmas!!