Whose Dream?

What is to be taken from a book largely about entrepreneurial leadership in a program dedicated to the development of leadership for the Church? Has the Church not already adopted more of a business mindset thus diminishing the role of the Spirit in guiding it to accomplish the desires of God? It might be easy to dismiss ‘Insight Out’ by Tina Seelig as just such a book, written for those who hope to establish themselves in business, academics, medicine, technology etc. by developing a product or service as yet untapped. Yet, there is much of value in this brief book that leaders in the Church could or should potentially heed if they desire to continue to connect the essential truths of the Gospel in a manner that transforms the contemporary world.

First, we need to recognize that much of what passes today for theology in the Church is nothing short of pablum, soft, tasteless, and easily digested food that is bland and generally unappealing. It is little wonder that significant portions of emerging generations are eschewing the faith of their childhood as it has little significance for the questions they are facing in adulthood. Jesus was a purveyor of radical thinking and action. In ‘Jesus: Social Revolutionary’Peter McVerry believes he understands the reason Jesus was ultimately put to death. “I believe,” he says, “Jesus was put to death by good people acting for good reasons, because the God that Jesus revealed had radical consequences for ordering behavior and structures of society, consequences that threatened the existing order of society.” [1]Yet, since the conversion of Constantine the Christian Church has often struggled to re-order the maladaptive structures and self-centered behaviors evident throughout society. It could not address these issues fully while attempting to maintain a grip on the power and influence now available to it. Seelig hints at this in her section on Envisioning. She says; “Many of the ‘prompts’ we get in life unwittingly stifle free expression and imagination”[2]I know she probably did not have the Christian Church in mind but perhaps we should think about this in light of how we convey the ‘appropriate’ expressions of faith to our congregants. Are we encouraging a free expression and use of imagination in faith or simply more of the same culturally comfortable Christianity that sufficed for previous generations? If we as leaders in the Church are not taking the time to consider 100 new meaningful ways to connect with a disappearing generation then it is likely that we are still using tools from a previous era. [3]

Secondly, several of you are aware that the past year has been particularly challenging for me personally. I have been on the brink of dropping out of this program on several occasions and continue to wonder whether or not the financial and personal investment is right for me. Without going into the sordid details much of that struggle has been attempting to discern where it is that God desires to place me for the next season of my life. I feel like for the past several years that I have been working neither to fulfill God’s desires nor dreams of my own, but those external expectations foisted upon me by others. Maybe it’s a ‘mid-life crisis’. (But, I pray that God doesn’t make me live that long if mid-fifties represents mid-life.) Seelig again recognizes this tendency when she states; “Many wake up one day, deep into their career, and realize that they’ve been following someone else’s dream, not their own.”[4]I wonder too whether or not this is a common situation for those in leadership in the Church. Maybe we have been called to a specific and unique task but have settled for the ordinary, the comfortable, the secure role from which sufficient kudos is garnered, ‘waking up’ one day to realize that God had so much greater, but we settled for something less. Again, is it any wonder then that emerging generations are loathe to follow us when the path we are on is far from inspirational. What is it that God would have for us? This is more than some ‘challenging’ sermon that makes people uncomfortable for a few minutes until they walk out and start contemplating where they are going for Sunday lunch or which game they are going to watch that afternoon. No, this is more about demonstrative expressions of our faith, lifestyle decision we embody that consistently cause consternation. If we are surrounded by people just like us who largely approve of how our faith is lived out then perhaps we should consider whether or not we are in the correct ‘dream’. “Universal approval also suggests that you probably aren’t stretching far enough or seeking out objective critics.”[5]

Maybe this book is out of place for a Christian D Min program seeking to develop a covey of leaders for the Church. However, perhaps it is the perfect text to foster a new perspective and a willingness to utilize the ‘invention cycle’ as a tool of the Gospel. As Augustine writes; “Nay, but let every good and true Christian understand that wherever truth may be found, it belongs to his Master…” (II.18).[6]

[1]Battle, John. “Jesus: Social Revolutionary?” Thinking Faith: The Online Journal of the Jesuits in Britain. May 28, 2008. Accessed September 14, 2018. https://www.thinkingfaith.org/articles/book_20080528_1.htm.

[2]Seelig, Tina. Insight Out: Get Ideas out of Your Head and into the World. New York, NY: Harper One Publ., 2015. P. 43

[3]Ibid p. 149

[4]Seelig, Tina. Insight Out: Get Ideas out of Your Head and into the World. New York, NY: Harper One Publ., 2015. P. 68

[5]Ibid p. 154

[6]Mathison, Keith. “All Truth Is God’s Truth – A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture.” Ligonier Ministries. May 11, 2012. Accessed September 14, 2018. https://www.ligonier.org/blog/all-truth-gods-truth-reformed-approach-science-and-scripture/.

Dan Kreiss

Former director of the Youth Ministry program at King University in Bristol, TN and Dean of the School of Missions. I have worked in youth ministry my entire life most of that time in New Zealand before becoming faculty at King. I love helping people recognize themselves as children of God and helping them engage with the world in all its diversity. I am particularly passionate about encouraging the church to reflect the diversity found in their surrounding community in regard to age, gender, ethnicity, education, economic status, etc. I am a husband, father of 4, graduate of Emmanuel Christian Seminary, an avid cyclist and fly-fisherman still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

9 responses to “Whose Dream?”

Dan,
    Excellent “ethnographic” approach to pablum and the baby picture!
    Thanks for the transparent reflection on “what now” God? Amen! I hear you friend. I pray sincerely that you will “stand firm” and be filled with divine wisdom and discernment for the path God has asked you to take. We may take different routes along the way, but I am sure we will see each other and our LGP8 cohort in eternity with the Lord.
    Run your own race my friend.

2. Hey Dan! I really appreciate your thoughts here. I know I live across the ocean, in a culture that has long been considered “post- Christian,” (all that to say,my context is quite different from yours!) but I am feeling majorly hopeful and inspired by the next generation of Christian leaders here in France. The may be few in numbers, but they are great in vision and committment. So when I read this: “Again, is it any wonder then that emerging generations are loathe to follow us when the path we are on is far from inspirational.” I began to wonder what IS inspiring the emerging generation in France?

In essence I think they have been raised by parents who have rejected God in an country that has rejected God, and they see the misery that results from that worldview. When they come to faith it’s like the see color for the first time. And then they are completely motivated to share that with their friends.

I agree. 100 new meaningful ways. Maybe a thousand. What ever it takes. Maybe even reviving some ancient ways that we have lost. I can’t wait to read your dissertation and learn from you!

3. Dave Watermulder says:

Thank you for your honesty and sharing here, Dan. I was especially struck by this line that you wrote: “I feel like for the past several years that I have been working neither to fulfill God’s desires or dreams of my own, but those external expectations foisted upon me by others.”
    Isn’t that the truth?! It actually reminds me of the quote from Henri Nouwen where he talks about seeking something from external factors. Sorry for this long quote, but here it is: “Aren’t you, like me, hoping that some person, thing, or event will come along to give you that final feeling of inner well-being you desire? Don’t you often hope: ‘May this book, idea, course, trip, job, country or relationship fulfill my deepest desire.’ But as long as you are waiting for that mysterious moment you will go on running helter-skelter, always anxious and restless, always lustful and angry, never fully satisfied.”
    Maybe it is middle age, maybe it is just discontent with the normal, regular stuff of life. But, I guess in a way, I’d rather that you wrestle it out and figure it out (especially as part of our group!), than not to feel it, or not to give it thought or action. Anyway, I’m glad you are here and I will see you soon!

Woah, love that quote by Augustine. I had not seen it yet but I say all the time, “all truth is God’s truth.”

Dan, you’re a badass. I always love going to your posts and seeing your insights. Selfishly I am glad you are in this program with me.

speaking to the relevancy of this book, my question for you is what idea have you had that would revolutionalize youth min, higher ed, or church services, but you have not been successful in implementing? I think this is where that book comes in to be a resource. Assisting us in implementing our God-sized dreams.

I think I just had my quarter life crisis a couple years ago. does that count?

5. Dan,

Having finally emerged out the other end of a decade-long midlife crisis, I stand with you, brother, and say, keep struggling. I hope our cohort can be a sounding board for you as you find your way forward.

The fact that you are struggling to me shows there will be good fruit on the other side. I find it hopeful, promising. You might not feel that right now, so maybe you can just let me feel that as we walk together.

A year and a half ago we moved to the poorest province in Canada: New Brunswick. It’s a small, insignificant place with negative growth. A lot of people struggle here, the population is aging, the youth migrate out. But one of the things I love is that the provincial slogan is “Spem Reduxit”, Latin for “Hope is Restored”. And thankfully, we are starting to see signs of growth in our town.

I pray that for you, too.

I hear you Dan and understand in so many ways myself. I am also walking some of that road myself. I don’t have any questions just wanted to say that I too appreciate you insight and deep thinking.

7. Jason Turbeville says:

Dan,
    Wow, great post and insight. I came across this quote while preparing for my sermon this week by George Bernard Shaw, he was asked if he could come back as anyone who would it be and he answered ““I would choose to be the man George Bernard Shaw could have been, but never was.” I feel like this sometimes in my ministry. Am I doing the things God is asking or someone else, and I have to stop and seek God and he usually provides the encouragement I need. If not then I have to stop what I am doing and seek where I should step next. I have found when I don’t do this I severely lack in what I should be doing. I feel your angst in seeking God’s will, I appreciate your willingness to share your struggles.

Thanks

Dan, it is your ability to write thought-provoking post like this that shows you still have much to offer. I believe we are all united in saying how glad we are to see that you are sticking in there.

With that said, first I’d like to address your comment, “Are we encouraging a free expression and use of imagination in faith or simply more of the same culturally comfortable Christianity that sufficed for previous generations?” I have encountered this type of question a number of times in my ministry; it is a fragile question to say the least. On one edge of the blade you have the problem you mentioned, this sort of stifled ministry that has not changed in generations; on the other edge you have the caution of changing in order to entertain or attract. When we see scripture that tells us that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever; we hold to the purity approach and pray for the best. However, we also see that Jesus performed miracles that drew the crowds for miles; an approach that definitely entertained and attracted. So I suppose the real question is, “Where do we draw the line?” I’ve always described myself as a “scripturalist;” in other words, I’m not liberal or conservative, but I try to support all of my decisions with scripture. Sometimes that gives me a lot of room for experimenting; other times, it nails my feet to the floor.

Second, you also asked the question, “What is it that God would have for us?” Often I fear for some in my congregation because I see these stagnate Christians that are simply coasting through life; I’m not saying it will land the in Hell, I’m just saying that discouragement usually sets in. However, then we are treated to those people that slap on their running shoes and sprint toward the next opportunity; I pray I am one of those people. I look at our class and see a group of people that have decided that God has more in store for them that what they have already been handed; with that glint of hope, I see all of us strapping up the laces and getting ready for the race to come; including you. This course is an opportunity for God to grow us, teach us, correct us, and use us.

9. Chris Pritchett says:

I always appreciate your honesty and willingness to express your wrestling with God and the church and invite the reader into that with you. I am looking forward to talking and catching up in Hong Kong, and I’m so glad you’re still with us. But things can be tough and seasons of life can really suck, so I hope HK will be a positive and uplifting time.