Who’s Gold Are You Minding? Errr … I Mean Mining?

Dark blue watercolor background with gold specks. Asian woman on right wearing bright yellow jacket, white shirt and green pants with arms at shoulder height with palms facing up.

Created in Canva by Nancy Blackman

The title Mining for Gold is such an appropriate phrase for the coaching process because a coach isn’t panning on the surface but hoping that the coachee is willing to dig deep for the gold within them. The gold is already there because God put it there. They just need to find it and come to the realization that it’s been there all along.

I call those aha! moments, and watching a person have an aha! moment is like watching the sun ripple across the ocean. It is beautiful as their face lights up and the Light literally turns on. Priceless. When you watch the movement from “things I still didn’t understand and hadn’t addressed inside me”[1] to that precious space where “clarity helps them make concrete next steps that lead them forward. Those small steps lead to small wins, and a string of small wins leads to momentum.”[2]

And, in my perspective, when a person can dig down deep through the pains and joys of life, they see a true version of themselves and God. And … that person leads and exists in the world much differently. They laugh a little bit more. They’re more authentic. They even allow themselves to shed a tear in front of others instead of running away because … last I checked God created humans with many emotions and crying (whether because of sadness or joy) is part of that bag of emotions. So, it’s ok to cry, even in public.

I’m still working on that part—the crying in public. Part of digging down deep for me is knowing that it’s ok for me too. It’s ok for me to laugh at your funny joke and also cry when something deeply touches me, which is all part of my God-given identity, and yours, too.

When a person reaches that place something wonderful happens. The genuine and true aspects of their character, which embody the leader that God intended them to be, radiate brilliantly. People become drawn to them like a magnet attaching to a refrigerator. Why? Because they authentically show up being who God intended them to be in the first place.

Don’t you think it’s interesting that Camacho points out that part of the multiplication process is about investing in other people? I love the connection he made between Jesus going off to pray and then knowing who to choose. [3] This isn’t about who to choose on the playground but more about who God knows you can invest in because not everyone is meant to meet everyone where they are, right?

And, just as Camacho has also pointed out, “The gold and gifts inside people were given for the good of all. We don’t own our lives or our gifts. All we have, we have received. Our role is to be faithful stewards over all God has entrusted to us.”[4] There is a process with this, or rather, a caution maybe. We all need to be careful with the who and how. Who is God inviting you to invest that kind of energy and time into and how are you meant to do that?

As a leader in our last church, I had to learn that lesson when being pulled in many different directions. I also needed to tap into that lesson when I was a missionary to Russia. The word “to” is used intentionally because Americans aren’t granted long-term visas, so I traveled 3-4 times per year, and in between I met virtually with women leaders. But when I was on the ground, my time was theirs because I was only there for a short time, but I had to be careful. I’m an extreme introvert. I learned how to politely let the women know that in the evenings when they would stay up very late, I needed to step away and recharge. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to be with them, but I always told them that if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be any good the next day.

Camacho shares that sentiment so eloquently, “As leaders learn how to sow and reap, they enter into the powerful dynamic of this parable. God wants to entrust more to us, but he wisely doesn’t do so until he is sure we are mature enough to handle it all.”[5] And that there became my process of maturation, knowing when to sow and when to witness the reaping because that last part – the reaping – can be life-changing and magnificent.

Here’s the other aha! moment for me. When I noticed what Camacho refers to as the vein of gold within me, I knew I was moving in too many directions that weren’t meant for me. I’m a writer and artist. Those are my sweet spots. “Our sweet spot is a vein where our gold keeps showing up.”[6] Some people refer to the sweet spot as the “zone” or the place or thing that doesn’t feel like work. That’s what writing and creating does for me. Recently I have added editing to that. Editing, to me, especially helping students with their final portfolios or dissertations is no different than a coach helping someone uncover their gold. I get to witness the glimmer of gold through their writing, and, in some small way, help them cross the finish line.

Years ago, as I made my way through one job after another, always feeling like I was trying to be the orange when really, I was the apple. Or, here’s a better visual—you know those kids’ toys where they have to put the square object into the right hole? I was always the square trying to fit myself into a circle.

But no more. I’m done. My body is done and now I do my best to live in my sweet spot so the world can see the vein of gold.

[1] Tom Camcho, Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders Through Coaching (London: IVP Press, 2019), 50.

Nancy Blackman

17 responses to “Who’s Gold Are You Minding? Errr … I Mean Mining?”

1. Adam Cheney says:

Nancy,
    It seems that you have found your sweet spot, in writing and in artistry. How long were you trying to be a circle in a square hole? When did you realize that you were meant to be a square in a square hole? Or when did you realize and lean into your sweet spot? Can you expand a bit on how being an editor might be like coaching? I tend to see editing as just pointing out all my errors so I would love to hear your approach on it.

• Nancy Blackman says:

Hi Adam,
      Thank you! I feel the long embrace of God when I am iin my sweet spot.

The answer to how long is a loooooooong time. I realized I was trying to fit myself into society’s norms one day with my Spiritual Director. Admittedly, part of the length of time is because, racially, I was being pushed to the margins when I arrived in the US, so it might have taken me a bit longer than some because creative people are socially marginalized as well and having to figure out whether it was because I was an artist or because I have almond shaped eyes created too much confusion.

I have always wanted to be a writer and there’s a long story behind that — also racially obstructed by the Dean of my first Uni experience.

To answer your last question: yes, some editors can be very rote and concise, which you need to be, but the encourager in me wants everyone to see they can write as well, so I leave comments along the way. I have been told by others that my comments are what fuels people to keep going. So, maybe not a coach in the exact manner, but sitting on the sidelines helping another person see what I (and probably God, too) sees.

I was recently hired as a writing coach and realized that maybe God was just waiting until the right time. The differences between a life coach and a writing coach are just semantics.

2. Noel Liemam says:

Thank you, Nancy for your sharing. First, I would start off by saying that congratulations on your find the ‘sweet spot.’ In my earlier years, I went through a lot of different ways to find what to do with the rest of my life. When I gave up and said, “whatever,” I finally realized that I was moving somewhere.

I like when you mentioned that when a person can dig down deep in their lives, it is when they see the true version of themselves and God. That’s what I think of when Camacho talked about refining the gold within the leaders. I think of digging down deep and burning off the impurities, so the pure gold is shown. Thank you for your sharing!

• Nancy Blackman says:

Hi Noel,
      I wonder if your “whatever” moment can be viewed as letting go and that’s why you realized you were still moving forward? That’s a fair amount of self awareness!

May your pure gold always be evident as you lead.
      Blessings to you!

Nancy, Your post reminded me of a conversation during Christmas break when someone was telling me about working in a writing lab helping students edit papers. She would ask why they were writing about a specific topic or question, but the answers weren’t allow to be to pass the class. She wanted to know what they wanted to learn, do, discover, or whatever. She had an excitement in her voice when she was describing how she was able to help someone find their voice. Knowing the God given gold that lies within us allows us to honor God in our use of them. Your comments sound as though that is just what you are doing. Praise God.

• Nancy Blackman says:

Hi Diane,
      I love that you witnessed the woman at the writing lab. She sounds like a lovely writing guide.

And, I hope I am living out what you picked up on!

Thanks!

4. Graham English says:

Nancy,
    This sentence caught my attention, “And, in my perspective, when a person can dig down deep through the pains and joys of life, they see a true version of themselves and God. And … that person leads and exists in the world much differently.” Leading is not something we do simply as a skill set, but it comes out of the work that God has been doing in our lives through all of our experiences. In my devotional time today, Selwyn Hughes wrote, “History records countless testimonies of those who have plumbed the depths of emotional and spiritual suffering and yet claimed that they would not have missed the experience for the world.
    Obviously, good coaching experiences help us to see those experiences as God’s hand in our lives.
    Thanks for your post.

5. Daren Jaime says:

Hi Nancy! I love your aha moments! I ditto the exuberant feeling of helping and then watching somebody get it. That feeling is priceless. Camacho speaks of the sweet spot and you seemed to have found it. I think when a person discovers it it puts gas in one’s tank. I think you will uncover another one or two sweet spots by the conclusion of this program. Keep Mining! (wink-wink)

• Nancy Blackman says:

Ohhhhh, I love that …. “puts gas in one’s tank.”

Maybe between the two of us we will find those sweet spots being in community here. 😁

Thanks brother, Daren!

6. Christy Liner says:

Hi Nancy, I enjoyed your post!

I’m so glad that you’ve learned to embrace being an apple rather than an orange!

How do you help others get to that place of ‘being done’ and live in the sweet spot? It takes wisdom and maturity to even embark on the journey of discovery, and even more to embrace it.

I tried being an orange for many years, and it’s exhausting. I’m praying for you as you help people find the same freedom you now experience.

• Nancy Blackman says:

Hi Christy,
      Thanks so much for your kind words.

So, helping someone find their sweet spot requires not just the miner (coach) but a willing minee (coach), right? But … and this seems like a big BUT … because I believe everyone knows who they are and what they need, it’s up to the coach to ask the right questions to help the coachee (minee) dig out or dig through the weeds and rough spots of life to find the gold within them.

I’m praying for you, too! And, you’re right, it’s exhausting!

7. mm Jennifer Eckert says:

Nancy, you found comfort in the identity that Christ gave you. That is a very special place of surrender and liberation. Once the doctoral program ends, how do you see yourself using Camacho’s suggestions to multiply other leaders?

• Nancy Blackman says:

Thanks Jennifer.

My research is going to be how to build a safe, inclusive community for creative people, so I imagine Camacho’s suggestions of multiplying leaders (or possibly more editors for a publication) will be hanging the shingle and creating a space where I not only pour into the community of creatives but coach and guide editors and leaders in a way that not only allows them to be coachees but also learn to lead from a place of helping others. The short answer is empowerment.

8. Akwése Nkemontoh says:

Amen, amen, amen! I am standing in agreement with you as you Matt 5:16 it and ” let your light shine” Nancy!

Oh, how I love bearing witness to your “sweet spot” simply by reading this. Knowing ourselves and holding boundaries is so key to being able to use our gifts to benefit the world. Sounds like so much freedom and ease as you’ve learned to give yourself more and more permission to be your FULL self <3

"But no more. I’m done." — yaaaas!