Who do you say that I am? or what makes someone Evangelical?

What does it mean?

As those of you that have read my posts before know, I almost always have some image at the top of my posts.  There is something I like about giving a visual clue as to the point I am trying to make, and it helps me focus in on the direction I am trying to head.  I almost always find these images with a simple google image search, usually using my title or something similar as the search term.

This week was no different, so before writing anything I went to google, typed in ‘Who is Evangelical?’ and hit search. That is when things took an unexpected turn.  Much to my surprise, 5 of the first dozen or so images were of Donald Trump and three others were American politicians as well (Mike Pence, Tim Kaine & Bob Dole).  Regardless of your political persuasion or your opinion on Trump as a person or as a soon-t0-be President, I don’t believe many people regard Trump, himself, as an evangelical.  In fact, I don’t believe I have heard even the religious leaders that have supported him identify him as such.

And while, as holder of a degree in history, I found lots of interesting elements in Bebbington’s book, Evangelism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730s to the 1980s, what stuck with me and what I am still thinking about is the discourse from the first chapter about who was called an Evangelical, how that term was used and what the hallmarks of an Evangelical were and are.

This historical account of the usage of the term, Evangelical, informs the very current discussion ongoing in this country.  The questions of what makes someone an Evangelical, who has ‘ownership’ of that term and what claiming that title means are ones that are still very much open for discussion and debate.  All of these questions have also been greatly influenced by the election of Donald Trump and the role that self described ‘Evangelical’ voters played in securing his narrow victory, (a strong majority of these voters voted for Trump).

In light of the current American discussions about what makes someone Evangelical – which often center around specifically excluding certain people and/or beliefs – I had a sad, sarcastic chuckle as I read Bebbington describe how there was reticence in the 1700s (particularly in Scotland) to attach the term to any one group because there was a desire not to brand anyone as ‘not of the gospel’ (Bebbington, Kindle location 77)

Despite the desire to not brand groups as ‘in or out’ of the Evangelical circle, Bebbington does layout four qualities or traits that are present in Evangelical religious expression:

There are the four qualities that have been the special marks of Evangelical religion: conversionism, the belief that lives need to be changed; activism, the expression of the gospel in effort; biblicism, a particular regard for the Bible; and what may be called crucicentrism, a stress on the sacrifice of Christ on the cross (Bebbington, Kindle Locations 108-111)

The four qualities: Conversionism, Activism, Biblicism and Crucicentrism do form a fairly clear ‘definition’ of the Evangelical expression, as evidenced by the four statements found in the 2015 Christianity Today article entitled  ‘What Is an Evangelical? Four Questions Offer New Definition’  I found the article as I followed the ‘internet rabbit hole’ that I fell down after my Trump-Evangelical image search.  This article (which can be found here: here) describes the work of the National Association of Evangelicals (noted as one of the ‘stewards’ of the term) and LifeWay research as they attempt to define the term in more explicitly theological terms, instead of the mishmash of religious, political and ethnic points that currently go into what is often meant as the term is applied in the U.S.

The team took a list of 17 theological statements and eventually narrowed them down to four that they deemed essential to claim the title Evangelical.  They are:

• The Bible is the highest authority for what I believe.
  • It is very important for me personally to encourage non-Christians to trust Jesus Christ as their Savior.
  • Jesus Christ’s death on the cross is the only sacrifice that could remove the penalty of my sin.
  • Only those who trust in Jesus Christ alone as their Savior receive God’s free gift of eternal salvation.

As you can see they align very closely with Bebbington’s attributes.  This certainly speaks to Bebbington’s insight as well, I think, to the consistency of Evangelical expression – even across continents.  As accurate as these statements or attributes might be, I wonder if the Scots didn’t have the right idea.

As I am writing this post, I am also thinking about the inauguration that will happen tomorrow and the sermon I will be preaching on Sunday, based on this week’s lectionary readings (1Cor. 1:10-18 & Matthew 4:12-23).  The sermon is still in process, but it will focus on our call to be united in Christ.  All of this seems so dissonant and at the same time so interconnected.

It certainly seems like human nature to want to categorize our beliefs and even ourselves, there is a reason that the question of ‘who is an Evangelical?’ is still being asked 300 years later (there is a similar question in the Reformed tradition about what are the ‘essential tenets’ of the faith – they are often talked about, even in our denominational documents, but they have never been universally agreed upon).

At the same time, as Christians that have been called to united to Christ, but also united IN Christ (as in, to each other), what is the benefit of drawing circles that intentionally exclude some of our brothers and sisters?  This question goes well beyond Evangelicalism and asks questions about denominational identity and what unity might actually look like.

I don’t have the answers to these questions, but in a moment in time when I am studying the question what it means to be Evangelical and at the same time reading blog posts and articles from Christians reacting to the most recent election with titles like ‘Why I can’t call myself an Evangelical anymore’, I am struck by the fact that while there is incredible diversity of Christian belief and expression there should not – and need not – be any division (1Cor. 1:10), for if we are united in the mind of Christ, what can truly separate us?

Chip Stapleton

Follower of Jesus Christ. Husband to Traci. Dad to Charlie, Jack, Ian and Henry. Preacher of Sermons, eater of ice cream, supporter of Arsenal. I love to talk about what God is doing in the world & in and through us & create space and opportunity for others to use their gifts to serve God and God's people.

10 responses to “Who do you say that I am? or what makes someone Evangelical?”

Chip, thank you for the well-written, thoughtful and pastoral post.

“At the same time, as Christians that have been called to united to Christ, but also united IN Christ (as in, to each other), what is the benefit of drawing circles that intentionally exclude some of our brothers and sisters?”

Amen!

If you live-stream or post your sermons could you post the link; would love to hear your sermon on this Sunday.

Chip, as I mentioned in response to Jim’s post, I’ve never referred to myself as an evangelical, but always as a Christian, or an old-fashioned Bible believer. I’m not sure why.
    Maybe you have hit on it for me – the term “Christian” is surely more inclusive than the term “evangelical”.
    I also used to associate the term evangelical with fundamentalism, and THAT I am definitely not.
    I enjoy your illustrations!

3. Chip, I liked your four summary statements of being an evangelical. Seems simple enough. Makes me wonder what we are often arguing or splitting about as evangelical Christians? Maybe an answer to staying unified, to your questions posed, is to stay focused on the simple facts that brought us together to begin with? Where every argument about doctorinal beliefs or opposing opinions ended with what it was that truly unifies us and an exhortation to put greater emphasis on this versus what we disagree about. How to implement this is another matter altogether. I enjoyed your post as it reminded me what truly matters in the body of Christ…living in unity and harmony.

4. Pastor Chip!!! This was truly a great reflective post. I was shocked when I first heard others associate Evangelical with Donald Trump. All my life I had never ever ever (LOL) say that until the campaigns took place. It is disturbing that the four statements of faith that are meant to unify the Evangelical movement are the ones that do not apply to many who now consider themselves Evangelical.

I think when it comes to unity we must also celebrate our diversity. The church community today struggles to recognize the beauty of our diversity without feeling like we are glorifying our differences. As for me, I think of it musically. It seems as though the Evangelical community wants to force everyone to sing in unison. That at times can and should be the case but harmony is a beautiful sound that comes from blending different notes that collectively allow for an amazing harmony. What a beautiful witness to the world if we sang more in harmony than forcing us to sing in unison 🙂

Enjoyed your post Chip! The in or out debate is an interesting one. We must define certain things, draw lines, clarify boundaries, do you not think. Maybe our problem us that we fudge the issues too much, want to include everyone, are unwilling to be too “exclusive”. I think Bebbington’s terms are fairly helpful, and do indeed correlate with the article you referenced. One author I read referred to the “evangelical pot of goo” in the States. Maybe that’s the problem. We have become too “broad minded”! Calling Trump evangelical is a case in point!

• We really are mostly just a pot of goo over here….. Is it too late to take back all of that revolution stuff? Will you take us back?

More seriously, I do think it is important to draw lines – all of us tend to do better when we know and understand the boundaries (try playing soccer/football without the lines, right?)

What I struggle with is how we draw those lines in a way that might be faithful to Jesus, who seemed to break or bend many of the boundaries of his day. Honestly, this is really hard for me, by my nature I am a rule follower – so I would be very happy to just know the rules and follow, but I don’t think it is that simple?

I wonder if the bigger mess (or pile of goo) in the US is do to the continued unholy mixture of religion and politics…. are you Brits more free to actually use and define Evangelical on actual religious and theological terms?

I was told in seminary that our independent Christian Church movement was not Evangelical (big E) but that we were evangelical (little e), as ones advancing the gospel. I have always struggled with who was considered “in” the Evangelical circle, and who was “out,” especially when I hear about “Evangelical Catholics”. I see surveys that distinguish between “Mainline” and “Evangelical.” Are mainline denominations not evangelical? I’m much more comfortable with porous boundaries, yet also want to know where people (and churches) fit into my paradigm.

7. I think I agree, Chip, that the Scots had the right idea. I have great respect for the evangelical tradition, but I have grown weary of the gatekeepers who determine who is in and who is out. Even those four statements haven’t been good enough because certain factions shift the order, place higher significance on one over the others, or interpret the statements in a way to exclude certain people.
    The divisions are strange. I was raised evangelical and I would love to walk away from the whole thing, but God keeps reminding me of the importance of those roots. Whether or not I agree with all evangelical (I mean, how is that even possible), they are my tribe. I could leave, but those roots remain with me, making me who I am. Maybe we just need to get rid of the gates.