Where’s My Box?!?!

Before there was the “bi-racial” box on examines, as a kid I felt the need to find a creative way to show my race when filling out the pre-information before answering questions in English, science, or math. Most of my friends would simply color in the “white” box. Most expected me to fill in the “black” box, but I never felt like that fully expressed who I was since I was “half” white as well. I also did not want to fill in the “other” box. This put me in a dilemma, which eventually inspired me to fill in half the “black” bubble and half the “white” bubble. These half-filled bubbles felt like a more accurate representation of who I was when it came to “color”. It also illustrated how I consistently felt when it came to race and ethnicity. I did not fit in the box…or bubble, I guess.

Yascha Mounk, in The Identity Trap, mentions this growing dilemma in America as “mixed race” people (like me) increase. He argues, “A society that encourages all of us to see the world through the ever-present prism of identity will make it especially hard for people who don’t neatly fit into one ethnic or cultural group to develop a sense of belonging.” [1]

From my childhood to my teens, I was much more familiar with “white southern culture”. I was raised by the white side of my family on a farm, attended a predominately white school, was part of a white church, and, ironically, drove a white truck. However, the small white town where I lived, my school, and even my church reminded me often that I was different. Looking back, there were plenty of struggles and hurt, especially when it came to dating, but I wouldn’t change it, even though both subtle and blatant racism was part of my experiences. My early formative years coupled with my faith gave me ample opportunity to develop and practice forgiveness, grace, courage, and tenacity. It also gave me a lived experience that allowed me to better relate with other groups who are marginalized, dismissed, rejected, misunderstood, or silenced.

Due to my painful experiences surrouning race, I, like many others, want human equity, respect, and appreciation for diversity. The trick is finding the right avenues to achieve it with the least amount of unintentional side effects.

Yascha Mounk’s theory and arguments concerning identity synthesis reminded me of those pharmaceutical commercials that promote a new medicine as a remedy for (fill in the blank), then lists side effects from A to Z. Mounk admits that identity thesis, at its core, is motivated by a legitimate desire to fight injustice and bring human equality, but many of its methods and mindsets seem to be proving counterproductive. This possible overemphasis of embracing and highlighting race, gender, and orientation may be giving westerners a too simplistic of a lens to perceive one another and a faulty way of interpreting social and cultural dynamics.

Are certain strategies for diversity and inclusion actually perpuating division?

This book reminded me of a peculiar situation that happened during my master’s graduation ceremony. My graduate program was extremely diverse. We had people of all races, religions, and sexual orientations. Social justice, diversity / inclusion, and tolerance were major values emphasized during my time there. Part of the ceremony included bringing in and celebrating alumni from 50 years ago. The row behind me, all African American students, many of them my friends and several of them going into ministry, refused to stand in honor of this group because there were no African Americans represented. I could hear one of my classmates say, “I’m not standing, there is not a single black person in that group up there” and the rest of the row fell suit. To an extent I get it, for them they felt the group on stage represented historical oppression, racism, and exclusion and to stand and clap would be celebrating that. However, I had a different viewpoint that would not allow me to stay seated. I saw a common bond between us and them, my class and theirs both worked hard to earn our degree, and with the history of the school, I believe many on the stage likely fought for the equality we were pushing for as well.  This isn’t meant to be a “whose right” scenario, but this incident was the culmination of many moments when I felt some of the things Yascha discussed in his book.

I can’t help but resonate with Mounk when he says, “By encouraging us to interpret every historical fact and every personal interaction through the lens of race, gender, and sexual orientation, advocates of the identity synthesis make it impossible to understand the world in all of its complexity. And by portraying society as being full of bigots who pose a constant threat to members of every conceivable minority group, they encourage more and more people to feel adrift in a relentlessly hostile world.”[2] I believe there are certain mindsets and assumptions that unintentionally nurture division and hostility in the pursuit of fighting for equality in the west. The current day fight might actually be, as Yascua proposes, against the extremes of both ends of the conservative to liberal spectrum. As Jonathan Haidt says in, The Righteous Mind, humans are naturally “groupish”.[3] We love to join teams, but when we bind to one group it naturally and subconsciously blinds us to other groups and views them as a threat which is what Mounk is exploring with identity synthesis and its emphasis on categories of race, gender, and sexual orientation.

A while back I watched an interview where an African American rapper known as Lil Wayne talked about a cop who saved his life after he shot himself at the age of twelve.[4] I understand many African Americans have had the exact opposite experience with cops, which shows the complexity of these dynamics. However, in Lil Wayne’s case, the only person that took interest in his bleeding body was a white man he now calls Uncle Bill. Uncle Bill chewed the rest of the police force out, some of them black, for stepping over this kid’s body with a bullet hole in his chest. He grabbed him up before the ambulance could arrive and personally drove him to the hospital, which ultimately saved his life. This experience forever shaped Lil Wayne’s worldview. In the interview he says, “Racism doesn’t’ exist”. I can’t agree with that statement and not sure what he really meant by it, but I do think it is important to acknowledge and broadcasts these types of stories for healing to occur.

Honest question:

Is identity synthesis causing minorities and oppressed groups to immediately view, consciously or subconsciously, other groups as a threat, oppressive, and prejudice?

[1] Mounk, Yascha, The Identity Trap: A Story of Ideas and Power in Our Time, (New York: Penguin Press, 2023), 14.

[2] Mounk, The Identity Trap, 285.

[3] Haidt, Jonathan, The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion, (New York: Vintage Books, 2013), 221.

[4] 1. Lil Wayne Stands by His “no Such Thing as Racism” Comment.YouTube (YouTube, 2016), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwwwJr36HFk.

Adam Harris

I am currently the Associate Pastor at a church called Godwhy in Hendersonville, TN near Nashville. We love questions and love people even more. Our faith community embraces God and education wholeheartedly. I graduated from Oral Roberts University for undergrad and Vanderbilt for my masters. I teach historical critical Biblical studies at my church to help our community through their questions and ultimately deepen their faith. I love research, writing, learning, and teaching. I oversee our staff and leadership development. Before being at Godwhy I worked as a regional sales coach and director for Anytime Fitness. I've been married for over 13 years to my best friend and we have two amazing boys that keep us busy.

15 responses to “Where’s My Box?!?!”

1. Kally Elliott says:

“Honest question:

Is identity synthesis causing minorities and oppressed groups to immediately view, consciously or subconsciously, other groups as a threat, oppressive, and prejudice?”

I don’t know. Probably. But, also, do they need to bind together in a group to work through their grief? Also, I don’t know, but probably.

I really don’t have any answers, just a lot of questions. I really enjoyed your post though, your thoughtful way of engaging Mounk, and your sharing of your own experiences. I also appreciated your suggestion that stories like Lil Wayne’s, positive stories, need to be broadcast alongside those that are not so positive.

Your story about filling in half the black circle and half the white circle on your tests really made me pause and consider how because of my white skin I’ve never had to think twice about things I considered “simple” like test bubbles. Thank you for opening my eyes to your experience. Also – super impressive that as a child you thought to fill in half of each circle! Love the genius of that!

• Adam Harris says:

These questions make me think as well. I know its a weird analogy, but I could not help but compare identity synthesis to chemo treatment that attacks cancer, but also inevitably attacks good cells. Its an intense treatment, but many times effective, that has unfortunate side effects. There is still prejudice, injustice, major blind spots, unequality, etc. Is the best solution at this time in history? Maybe we need the intensity. Just like we are looking for alternative treatments for cancer, I think many are searching for alternatives for injustice and inequality that are not producing these side effects.

Ha, eventually the bubbles thing became a running joke with some of my teachers and friends, and I was laughing with them. Thanks for the response.

• mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Kally,

I thought the same thing. What a genius idea to fill half the circles!

2. Scott Dickie says:

Thanks Adam…a thoughtful and, from my perspective, a hope-filled post that still acknowledges the ugly realities that exist for many people (including your own experiences). In some respects, I think your post reflected a similar tone as Mounk’s book–one that doesn’t minimize the challenge on the one side or take up the ‘accusatory outrage’ on the other–and, as such, it creates the environment for meaningful dialogue to take place (something Mounk says must happen to move beyond our unhealthy group identities). With your ‘un-boxed’ racial identity and your gracious communication, I suspect God will (and likely has already!) use you in significant ways to bring people together in healthy and beautiful ways.

• Adam Harris says:

I appreciate that Scott, I do agree with Mounk that extremes on both ends of the identity issue spectrum need to be resisted. I’ve seen and experienced the fruits on both ends and they do not align with what I feel is the heart of the Judeo-Christian faith. I feel they are also producing results that are more divisive then unifying which is the nature of polarized extremes I suppose.

Its great to have you back by the way!

Hi Adam,
    Your post is thoughtful, grace-filled, and elegantly written. Thank you for sharing your experiences and process. Your insights are inspiring especially for a young person dealing with situations that felt confusing and hurtful. Your honest question is impactful and courageous, “Is identity synthesis causing minorities and oppressed groups to immediately view, consciously or subconsciously, other groups as a threat, oppressive, and prejudice?” Your question has me reflecting on how identity synthesis might have impacted me in unconscious ways. I had never heard the term identity synthesis before reading this book, but the discomfort I felt in certain encounters in which it was likely at play was confusing and in the broader sense destructive to the community and connection to others I strongly desire. I need to reflect on how my feelings of threat and discomfort may have impacted my abilities to respond in a sensitive matter, rather than to default into silence.

• Adam Harris says:

Thank you Jenny, this is a subject near and dear to my heart. I think your intuition was probably on point. Espeically after reading many of the books we have so far, I’m trying to pay attention and examine those feelings more and more myself in these situations. I love that this program is making us more mindful in day to day interactions. Thanks for the response!

I’ve said it before but I want to write like you when I grow up. 🙂

You quote Mounk: “….every historical fact and every personal interaction through the lens of (identity)…”

I think the word EVERY is key here. I think we should frame, interpret and perceive “some” facts and interactions this way. To not do so would be ignoring reality. But crossing the line to “every” means that the answer to your final question is “YES”

But I don’t think it’s limited to minorities and oppressed groups. I think majority races and dominant groups also can end up viewing other groups as threats when their world is built around only their ‘group identity’ too.

• Adam Harris says:

Ha, oh wow, that means a lot buddy!

I agree, what a complicated and layered issue this can be. Dysfunction is never far behind when overcompensation happens to correct a problem. I feel like that is what Mounk is getting at with identity synthesis. We get into this conversation a lot among our staff. It can be tempting to interpret someone’s actions through the lens of racism, sexism, ageism, and all the other ism’s, when they are actually just having a bad day, or more commonly, that’s how they are with every person they interact with. However, sometimes an “ism” is at work.

I had to be very careful of this in my town growing up. If someone didn’t talk to me or was unpleasant I had to be careful not to automatically assume they didn’t like me because of my race since I was in a small town and racism was a legitimate issue. I don’t want to live always assuming the worst. Thanks for the response and kind words man!

5. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

I appreciate your post because it acknowledges some of the concerns I have. I am wrestling with my inner cynic which I usually do not have. Is this rhetoric even possible? It seems like it needs to be a both and scenario, where we work towards this synthesis but also walk alongside those who need to have justice, heal. Perhaps there is synthesis on the other side? Maybe Mounk is our way to somehow stabilize the pendulum in the middle instead of swinging back and forth?

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks Jana, it helps me to step back and see how far we’ve come as a society (at least in the West) when it comes to diversity and inclusion. We are not in utopia by any means, but sensitivity and consideration for minorities have increased. I think some of that has been overshot a bit, which is what Mounk is exploring. As someone with a dog in the fight, I myself feel like sensitivities and offence are incredibly high at times. That pendulum does like to move to the other side though huh!

6. Man! That was a deep blog! I felt your words, whoa! Brilliant how you engaged your life with Mounk! To answer your question: Is identity synthesis causing minorities and oppressed groups to immediately view, consciously or subconsciously, other groups as a threat, oppressive, and prejudice?
    I lean toward “yes” but this also goes for groups on the opposite side. It appears groups each each side see the other one as a threat. Therefore, I have more questions than answers.

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks Todd and I would have to agree. I think it is nurturing that lens of seeing the world. When you eat a steady diet of all the “isms” racism, sexism, Marxism, etc. you can’t help but view most interactions through that lens. Appreciate your response!

7. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Adam!
    Your writing is very interesting and insightful. The narratives from your past and the story of Lil Wayne that you shared highlight two events underscoring the comprehension of racism and, conversely, actions that go beyond racism are also a reality that cannot be ignored.
    My question is, as a Christian leader, what role do you think the church and Christianity play in the struggle to support the attainment of equality and human dignity regardless of racial background or identity? Thank you.

• Adam Harris says:

I think our main role is to keep teaching and embodying the message of grace, forgiveness, understanding and compassion for and by those of us who are still being hurt by the majority or “powerful” while emphasising the Christian message that God seems to most identify with the weak, suffering, lowly, poor, and overlooked. I think it’s important to create spaces in our faith community to listen and highlight “the others” lived experience and point of view.

I also think its crucial that we, Christian leaders, counterbalance this overidentification with race, class, sexual orientation, status, etc., by always looking for common ground in our human nature. That’s my two cents. Thanks for the question and response Dinka!