When Reasoning is Unreasonable

Written by: on December 7, 2022

John McWhorter is a faculty member at Colombia University, contributing writer and editor to well-known publications and podcast host focused on language and author of over twenty books. In his most recent book Woke Racism: How a New Religion Has Betrayed Black America, McWhorter delves into how some extremist views on antiracism in America has formed into a religion, one that many subscribe to without understanding the fullness of what they believe. In this work, McWhorter addresses this ‘Third Wave Antiracism,’ complete with a ‘Catechism of Contradictions,’ is ultimately disserving the black population in America. He terms those who subscribe to this religion ‘the Elect’, and in broad terms explains their hyper focus on white supremacy and fighting racism, however, very little action in true service or empowerment of the Black community is at play. Early in his narrative he pointedly identifies the ways in which he will be dismissed and discredited, even as a black man, by those within the religion and the reasoning for that. Ultimately, McWhorter explains that the Elect cannot be reasoned with as there is little logic to their beliefs and offers three practical solutions to serve Black America, being an end of the war on drugs, teaching everybody to ready and elevating the path of vocational training.[1]

While reading this week, much of what McWhorter explained made sense to me and even provided language for what I have been experiencing over the last several years, especially in my work of higher education with Gen Z students. I have watched our society grow in its quickness towards offense (for themselves or others), an immediate call towards cancellation for anything deemed racist, and an inability to answer basic questions as to what or why certain feelings or beliefs are prompting such intense response. While reading, there are a few areas I wish that could have been elaborated on more:

• A clearer definition of racism in the context of his work
  • If and how the Elect would distinguish between racism and bias, prejudice, discrimination, or stereotyping
  • More statistical data to support some of the claims, both by McWhorter and the Elect
  • Further details on the three solutions, specially on how to implement the changes
  • Explaining what being an ally or ally-ship looks like in this context

Although I largely found myself in agreement with McWhorter, the main area of tension that I experienced was that while he would argue much of the rage of the Elect comes from feelings and not necessarily truth, in my view he fails to genuinely acknowledge that there are still significant experiences of racism today. Several of my closest friends are people of color and would identify as Black, Asian American, Hispanic, or multi-racial. One of my friends and former bosses is Black and I can distinctly remember when I realized that while she would show up to work some days in a bad mood, it could have been due to her child being sick and she therefore didn’t sleep the night before, or that she was once again pulled over on her way to work, racially profiled by a police officer for a violation that I know I’d never be as a white female. Some of my other friends are consistently suggested to be on committees or councils, oftentimes knowing that they are simply the designated diversity of the group. Is this racism? Maybe. Are these micro-aggressions? Certainly. But again, each of my friends would have different definitions for racism and how they engage with racial tensions in society today. I have found that it is in the context of relationship that I am able to listen to understand in meaningful ways that creates a safer place for them to be and process.

The area that I found I related to the most in context of my work in higher education, and more specifically global education, is with McWhorter’s chart he calls the Catechism of Contradictions. My role is to expose students to diverse cultures, to empower them to engage with those different than themselves, and to foster environments of cross-cultural learning. Where I have found this more difficult in recent years is that there is an expressed desire from students and faculty alike to engage specific student demographics or clubs on campus in doing so, and yet when I do, there is resistance and expressed feelings of ‘they shouldn’t have to be the ones doing this.’ More often than not it feels like a lose-lose situation regardless of the motivations behind it, which can easily turn into a paralysis leading towards inaction out of the intention of not wanting to cause greater harm. I have found utilizing assessments like the IDI that we have recently done as a cohort to be helpful, but simply leaving it there is not a best practice of comprehensive internationalization.

Here are questions that my team and I are actively working through:

• How do we foster cross-cultural learning environments that feel empowering and equipping for our specific higher-ed community?
  • How to be provide meaningful opportunities for students to serve Black America and other underrepresented populations without it founded on a savior-complex model?
  • How do we help Gen Z students to develop and grow in critical thinking skills, especially on topics of cancel culture and the like?
  • What does collaborative, solution-based programming look like for our students and faculty?
  • How do we create safe spaces on campus for our students of color to feel seen and heard, while also being able to explore/challenge some of the popular/cultural ideologies they may subscribe to?
  • If the role of higher education is to help students learn how to think and develop tools for them to be able to articulate the why behind what they believe (on any given topic), how do we do that when anything deemed remotely offensive is quick to be attacked or cancelled?
  • As a leader, how do I develop a staff culture where diverse opinions, experiences, and perspectives can be shared without fear of retaliation, cancellation, or disrespect?
  • As a leader who is also white, how to I leverage my inherent power and privilege to empower others?

Once again, I’m left with more questions than answers – and after Peterson a few weeks ago, I am a bit more comfortable in that space.

[1] McWhorter, 140.

Kayli Hillebrand

Associate Dean of International and Experiential Education

10 responses to “When Reasoning is Unreasonable”

Ms. Kayli: Nice analysis of the book. I found the book very helpful because I have not paid much attention to the “woke” movement. I instinctively sensed “The Elect” take things too far, like McCarthy seeking out communists in the 1950’s. I now feel like I understand the movement and their motives better. McWhorter does a good job of describing the situation and then offering his three solutions at the end.

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

Troy: I agree. I think some things he forces to extremes that they may not be and oversimplifies some of the solutions, but overall, this gives a decent macro-level map of woke racism in the US.

Kayli, thanks you for sharing the relevance racism to your current role and recent interactions, especially with Gen Z. I appreciate your balanced interaction with the book, both the positive and the negative. I also resonated with your bullet points seeking more information on certain issues McWhorter raises. I curious, you mentioned one of your responsibilities in your job is to expose students to diversity. How do you do that? The best advice I got during the George Floyd season was simply: “sit down with a person of color and ask them their story – just listen, don’t talk.”

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

Thanks Roy. This is an ongoing challenge. My role specifically mobilizes students around the global for study and service programs. But I also work with other groups of students and try to engage in multi-cultural environments, mostly getting them to start understanding that different people groups and cultures approach things differently.

For diversity on a higher ed campus, it can look all sorts of ways. Predominantly, we have different student ethnic clubs but as I’ve observed and engaged over the years, I’m not sure they are meeting the needs intended to. The alternative is what we wrestle with on an ongoing basis. What is diversity within unity? Do micro-groups end up leading towards silos and less conversation?

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

For diversity on a higher ed campus, it can look all sorts of ways. Predominantly, we have different student ethnic clubs but as I’ve observed and engaged over the years, I’m not sure they are meeting the needs intended to. The alternative is what we wrestle with on an ongoing basis. What is diversity within unity? Do micro-groups end up leading towards silos and less conversation? It tends to lead to more questions than answers.

Kayli, love the title! I appreciate your points for further clarification. Personally, his solutions seem to fall short of a truly useful educational plan. Great questions! I am particularly interested in this question, “How to be provide meaningful opportunities for students to serve Black America and other underrepresented populations without it founded on a savior-complex model?” and any possible solutions your team has tried.
    I also found the behavior of many white people in the wake of George Floyd to be disingenuous, emotional, and narrow. I love Roy’s advice.

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

Thanks, Denise. The best approach I have found so far is to mobilize towards core issues that impact all students and then it allows students to find areas of calling, interest, etc. on their own. We have specific partners dedicated to tutoring/mentoring, working with children of incarcerated parents, refugees in our area, addiction recovery and housing & food insecurity. We are in a significantly diverse area of Southern California which allows us to dive into further conversation.

Great blog. Per usual. I love your questions at the end that you pose.

I know that you are still figuring it out, but have you begun to see any themes that are consistent with possible solutions to those questions?

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

Thanks, Eric. I think what I’ve been learning more over the years, is that our best course of action when working with undergraduate students is to as best we can tie these conversations into their specific academic courses. In one way it ensures the conversations are happening and not just with students it is impacting or who have interest towards racial reconciliation. However, it is only a first step and we are constantly navigating best practices as we go.

Kayli, as Roy said, I appreciate too your reflection on this book in light of your current context.

What definition of religion does he give?

As you ponder what McWhorter’s thesis is, what would he say are win-wins in his approach?