What Will I Pack? (Apa Yang Akan Saya Bungkus?)

“Prove it through the alignment between your words and your actions. Prove it by standing up for what’s right. Prove it through measurable tangible signs of progress. Prove it through your own experience. Prove it through your phenomenal successes. Prove it through your glorious failures. And prove it all on these three levels:

1. Prove it to others.
  2. Prove it to yourself.
  3. Prove to others that you’re proving it to yourself.

Whenever humanly possible, make sure that your actions and behaviors live up to and reflect the words and ideas, promises and commitments that come out of your mouth.”[1] The first leadership book that truly inspired me is, The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership by Steve Faber. Faber’s voice gave me a sense of boldness.

In exploring Simon Walker’s book, “Leading Out of Who You Are: Discovering the Secret of Undefended Leadership, I remember the same sense of excitement I felt when I first encountered Farber’s work in 2008.

The Undefended Leader refers to a leader who operates from a place of authenticity, vulnerability, and openness. Such a leader is not guarded or defensive but embraces their true self. Walker’s book resonated with me, and I found myself pondering the questions he posed at the end of each topic.

“Think of your life as a leader like a journey.”[2] This statement invited me to embark on an interesting voyage. I was curious to find out about me (my leadership destination, the powers I exercise and my ego patterns):

1-What will I pack, what will I need to make it to my destination?

What provisions did Nehemiah and Esther packed for their respective journeys? And what essentials did the disciples pack when they were summoned to spread the good news two by two? Nehemiah, Esther and the disciples were destined for specific journey. Nehemiah started his journey with prayer, Esther started her journey from a place of not knowing and while the disciples questioned their abilities to preach the good news. They all packed a bag / sack of courage to make it to their destination. It takes courage to confront fear and not give into it.[3]

I am not a light traveler – I meticulously plan my travels, ensuring I have all the necessary essentials to make my as smooth as possible. As a leader, I recognize that my journey requires deliberate preparation. The essentials I will pack include (but not limited to) faith, courage, skills, knowledge, values, and qualities, each a compass guiding me on this transformative path.

Walker stresses that leadership is about who you are, not what you know or what skills you have.[4] Absolutely! Leadership transcends mere knowledge and skills. While expertise and competencies are valuable, they serve as the foundation. Who is Shela?  My character, values, authenticity, and emotional intelligence form the essence of my leadership.

Consider a symphony conductor – His/her technical knowledge of music theory and conducting techniques is essential, but it is their passion, ability to inspire, and connection with the musicians that truly elevate their leadership. Similarly, a business leader armed with industry expertise can steer a company, but it is his/her integrity, empathy, and vision that shape the organization’s culture and success.

2-What kind of power should I exercise?

Different situations call for different kinds of powers. The undefended leader does all he/she can acknowledge the exercise of power, and the flow of power in an organization, and to make them both explicit and accountable.[5]  This statement emphasizes that an undefended leader actively engages with power, understands its flow, and ensures transparency and accountability in its use within the organization. “Personality Power, Resource Power, Experience Power, Expert Power and Positional Power”[6]

For me, it is about adapting these powers based on the task. In my daily work, I predominantly exercise ‘expert power’ – A subject matter expert (SME) who procures services and equipment for hydro power generation plants. So, claims, Walker, ‘Expert power derives from having a great degree of relevant expertise than your colleagues.’

Characteristics of Expert Power:

• Depth of knowledge
  • Credibility
  • Problem-solving skills
  • Guide decision-making
  • Teaching and mentoring

Application in Leadership:

• Guidance
  • Influence
  • Learning Culture

Balancing Expert Power:

• Allowing the Holy Spirit to keep me grounded. While expert power is valuable, I exercise awareness, humility and openness.

Walker describes four ego patterns: Shaping, Defining, Adapting, and Defending that form during our childhood. These patterns influence our drives, fears, and needs as leaders.[7]

3-Which of the four ego patterns do I most relate to?

As I observe these four ego patterns, the one that resonate the most with me is the ‘The Defining Ego.’ I do not handle failures easily, but that does not mean I want to win at all costs. I do agree that I live in the future, I worry about tomorrow. As a result, I often reside the scriptures, Matthew 6:34, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

In summary, Walker’s book encourages me to lead fearlessly, drawing from the wellspring of my authentic self.

[1] Steve Farber, The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson In Extreme Leadership. (Chicago, Kaplan Publishing, 2004). 174.

[2] Simon P. Walker, Leading out of Who You Are: Discovering the Secret of Undefended Leadership. (Carlisle, UK: Piquant Editions Ltd, 2007). 35.

[3] All scripture citations are taken from the NIV translation unless otherwise noted.

[4] Walker. 17.

[5] Walker. 56.

[6] Walker. 51-53.

[7] Walker. 136.

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

14 responses to “What Will I Pack? (Apa Yang Akan Saya Bungkus?)”

1. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Great Post Shela. I love the travel metaphor and your own self-assessment. How might Walker’s text help you better understand your NPO?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Ryan,
      Thank you for reading my post and for the question.
      How might Walker’s text help you better understand your NPO?
      Walker’s book suggests that ego can be a barrier to effective leadership and that leaders should strive to lead from a place of inner authenticity and humility.
      Ego is a sub-topic of my NPO. Walker talks about letting go of the need to protect one’s ego and instead leading from a place of authenticity, vulnerability, and humility. He believes that true leadership comes from embracing one’s true self and being open to learning from others, rather than trying to maintain a facade of strength and invulnerability.

2. Jeff Styer says:

I’m picturing you with a backpack on ready to start a long journey. I love how Jesus sent the disciples out two by two, they were not alone. I am wondering if you ever find yourself in situations where it seems you forgot to pack something on your list (faith, courage, skills, knowledge, values, and qualities)? Is there someone traveling along with you that helps you when this happens?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Jeff,
      Thank you for reading my post and for the questions.
      Yes, there have been numerous occasions where I found myself unprepared. Most recently, I lacked the knowledge and skills required for a new project I was assigned. Because I had never encountered a project like this before, I hesitated to ask questions – lack of courage. I was on this project by myself. It would have been easier if I had some guidance from a subject matter expert – not alone!

Hi Shela, Thank you for the strong visuals in your post as you likened your personal journey to Walker’s book. Can you see a particular strategy that might help when your defining ego might get in your way or feel overly discouraged if you were to not succeed in something?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Diane,
      Thank you for reading my post and for your question.
      Can you see a particular strategy that might help when your defining ego might get in your way or feel overly discouraged if you were to not succeed in something?
      Yes, I receive/received guidance from my mentors (professional and spiritual) to talk about my experiences. It helped! Prayer is the answer.

4. Graham English says:

Thanks Shela. Appreciate your awareness of the need to balance your “expert power” with allowing the Holy Spirit to keep you grounded. What sorts of practices, disciplines or rhythms do you find helpful to keep you attuned to the Holy Spirit?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Graham,

Thank you for you reading my post and for the question.
      What sorts of practices, disciplines or rhythms do you find helpful to keep you attuned to the Holy Spirit?
      Praying, listening and discerning – spending time with the Holy Spirit. I pray the scriptures.

5. Adam Cheney says:

Shela,
    Thanks for your post and the introduction. As I reflect on the idea of “prove it” I am wondering what it is about this program that you are wanting to prove? Are you trying to prove it to yourself or others?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Adam,
      I don’t have the need to proof to others but myself – that I can do this. In the secular world, title carries weight when it comes to public speaking (inspirational).

6. Chad Warren says:

Shela, I appreciate your approach to this material. As you described your leadership journey as packing for an adventure, I was challenged to think about what I would pack for my own adventure. I tend to overpack when traveling, so I wondered how I might overpack in the leadership journey. Using your analogy of packing for a trip, what are the things, if any, you don’t really need for the leadership journey?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Chad,
      Thank you for reading my post and for the question. …. what are the things, if any, you don’t really need for the leadership journey?
      I will leave behind pride, ego and loud. Quiet confidence is powerful.

7. mm Chris Blackman says:

Hi Shela,
    I love your confidence. It shows in your writing. I have no doubt you lead your team well,
    I smiled at your quote from Matt 6:34. That is the scripture that brought me to Jesus. (I will have to share that with you one day).
    If you are mentoring one of your team to become a leader one day, how would you teach them to lead fearlessly and through their authentic self?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Chris,
      Thank you for reading my post and your empowering words. Yes, tell me about it when we are in DC.

— Awareness is very important. Just not self-awareness but awareness of the people around you.
      –Courage. I don’t mean Ra!Ra!Ra! Ask questions when in doubt, ask questions when something seems not right. Asking questions make others accountable. (Just do not be rude!)
      –Integrity. Be honest. We all make mistakes. Own the mistake and move on.
      –Invest in relationships. I am personally successful as work because of relationships. I work with demanding personalities, but I am able to influence agreement.