Vocation as a Means of Grace

Are our vocations a means of grace? Do we fulfill the very calling of God by being employed? These are some of the questions that are considered by the investigation of Max Weber in his work, The Protestant Ethic and the “Spirit” of Capitalism [1]. Weber concludes that the rising Protestantism gave the context and impetus for the establishment of capitalism as the dominate characteristic of society [2]. This perspective is critiqued in the dissertation by Jason Paul Clark in which the historical accuracies of Weber’s work are scrutinized with the implications being that the examples given to not accurately capture the theological ascetic that underpins the connection to the “Spirit of Capitalism” [3]. What I want to focus in is the implication of calling as contributing force that perpetuated capitalist forces and the implications upon the vocation of a person as a means of assurance of faith.

A Modern Example

Much can be said about a theology of work, in particular, the sacred vocation that person performs as means of serving God. Typically (traditionally?) the “calling” that is associated with a sacred vocation is reserved for those who are in engaged in religious vocations. As Weber highlights from Luther, “that one’s duty consists in pursuing one’s calling [Berufspflicht], and that the individual should have a commitment to his “professional” [beruflichen] activity…” [4]

As Weber points out, this was not always a familiar idea [5] but it is regularly used now. This weekend, I ran into a church member who just rotated off the board. He gleefully informed me that he only had “two more meetings” before he rotated off the school board, then he was going to spend his days on the lake. His wife, over hearing the conversation, retorted, “You must fulfill your purpose!” The point being, that his purpose or calling is to provide leadership in the community and church and would not be fulfilling his God directed purpose by taking it easy on the lake. While I am grateful to have this person in leadership in the church and community, it did make me wonder if this is indeed the purpose that he must fulfill. 

Weber’s Observations

Weber observed that the gift of Protestantism to the capitalism is the “calling” as a means of production. Weber writes, “Here is the most fertile ground for the growth of that attitude to work as an end of itself, as a “calling,” that capitalism demands. Here, as a result of religious upbringing, the chances of rising above the familiar old traditional ways are the greatest” [6]. Weber argues that the associations were sociologically causal and mutually beneficial and theologically substantiated, with Benjamin Franklin being the central example [7]. The historical and theological connection is adequately critiqued by Clark to show that Weber’s argument is not best situated on Benjamin Franklin as the case study for the religiously motivated prototypical capitalist [8].

Work and Identity

Clark argues that a better understanding of Weber is to delineate multiple Protestant ethics at work, rather than just one [9]. The motivation to work and consume became a locus of the self that interfaced with the internal pleasures in addition to finding identity in the capitalist milieu [9]. Which makes me consider the example shared about a board member who fills that he has served his time. He wants to move to a season of consuming, while he receives pressure to continue to engage with the identity of “calling to serve” out of a divine (or spousal) obligation. It seems to me that the stronger force is not the engagement in the economic location, but the wrestling with perceived and constructed identity. Is the person called to be employed or is the employment a means of grace? The person seems to have confidence in his assurance – enough to live out his days on the lake. His spouse, on the other hand, seems to see it as a means of grace. Perhaps, her insight should be considered further. 

1. Max Weber, Peter Baehr, and Gordon C Wells, The Protestant Ethic and the “Spirit” of Capitalism and Other Writings (1905; repr., New York: Penguin Books, 2002).
  2. Clark, Jason Paul, “Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship” (2018). Faculty Publications – Portland Seminary. 132. https://digitalcommons.georgefox.edu/gfes/132. p. 77. 
  3. Clark, 95. 
  4. Weber, 13. italics in original. 
  5. Ibid. 
  6. Ibid., 18. 
  7. Ibid., 19. 
  8. Clark, 95. 
  9. Ibid., 104. 
  10. Ibid. 

Chad McSwain

Chad is a systematic creative serving in pastoral ministry for nearly 20 years, Chad is a professional question-asker and white-board enthusiast, who enjoys helping people discover their own passions and purpose. A life-long learner, he has a B.A, Philosophy - Univ. Central Oklahoma, M.A Theology - Fuller Seminary, M.Div. Perkins School of Theology at SMU and is pursuing a Doctor of Leadership - George Fox University. He is an ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church, currently serving as Lead Pastor of Whitesboro UMC. Chad and his wife, Brandi live in Prosper, Texas along with their three children, two pugs and a chameleon.

3 responses to “Vocation as a Means of Grace”

Chad,
    Thank you for your comments on Benjamin Franklin. This makes me want to go back and get clarification on what Dr. Clark states. Franklin does not strike me as a good religous example.
    I would be interested in continuing this conversation about calling and vocation. Are we always called to produce/serve? Using your example-could the school board member enjoy going to the lake but also serve in different capacities? I am curious how retirement fits into this conversation. Is retirement Biblical? When is is appropriate for the elderly to not engage in official employment?
    Thanks for getting me thinking

2. mm Daron George says:

Chad

I enjoyed reading your post! This stood out to me “but the wrestling with perceived and constructed identity.” This stood out to me because I am in this very struggle right now. I have served in ministry or been in the role of a pastor since I was 16 and now I feel like I am being pulled a different direction but I don’t know if that is just me or if it is a “calling” in a different direction. Thanks for sharing that story about the gentleman and his wife’s view that “His spouse, on the other hand, seems to see it as a means of grace. “

Thanks, Chad. Great post as always. This is an interesting take. I really like the example of the individual looking for a little rest. Where is the line in which we serve and rest? Is it once a week on Sabbath, summer time, retirement, or after a certain amount of boxes are checked off? I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here but it is interesting to pick it apart. Perhaps we don’t need an entire season of consuming but a nice balance that allows for work, rest, pleasure, and exploration.