Unveiling the Unconscious: A Deep Dive into Mindful Business Practices

The transformation of my business, Coleraine Communications, into Leading With Nice represents a journey to a transformative process. This shift aligns closely with the wisdom found in Daniel Liebermans Spellbound and the leadership principles discussed in Simon Walker’s The Undefended Leader. This transformation goes beyond rebranding; it reflects a dedication to principles such as honesty, gratitude, empathy, trust, generosity and prioritizing service. It demonstrates a commitment to fostering connections and conducting business ethically[1].

In his book, Spellbound, Lieberman explores the powerful workings of the mind. He uncovers how it can effectively handle volumes of information influencing our feelings, instincts and creative ideas[2].This idea reflects my experience, in the world of business, where planning intersects with the deep, sometimes overlooked, motivations within. My transition towards promoting kindness and empathy in business signifies a departure from profit focused approaches. This change aligns with Lieberman’s concept of integrating contrasting elements and shifting perspectives resonating with the notion of transforming components into something more precious and honorable[3].

In retrospect, now having read The Undefended Leader, I can see I may have been inspired by Walker’s universal truths and went about out on a journey of self-reflection and readjustment[4]. This path pushed me to step beyond my boundaries embracing roles that required openness and honesty – essential qualities of leadership (I figured). Being an ‘undefended leader’ meant revealing parts of myself that I had previously kept hidden embodying the process of growth and change[5].

Lieberman’s exploration of the role of the mind in decision making as discussed in Spellbound resonates with my experiences by unveiling perspectives and instructions that are not readily apparent to our conscious awareness. This dynamic interplay, between planning and the subtle influence of our faculties reveals how our conscious mind offers organization and structure while our unconscious mind adds depth, ingenuity and profound insights. It seems clear that guidance of the mind is in line with my principles and convictions.

In the Soul Share podcast Lieberman shares an insight into the purpose of life; to grow our ability to love[6]. This idea perfectly resonates with the philosophy of Leading With Nice. In this context love goes beyond being a feeling; it becomes a guiding principle that influences our choices and interactions. By prioritizing love, empathy and trust we not only challenge business practices but also pave the way for meaningful and significant success. This approach highlights how incorporating these values into our business strategies can lead to transformative outcomes.

The transformation of my business and leadership style has been a journey. It goes beyond adapting to change; it’s fully embracing it and uncovering valuable lessons within challenges. Leading With Nice serves as an example of how empathy, trust and a service oriented mindset can shape the business world resonating with the wisdom found in Spellbound and the transformative spirit advocated in The Undefended Leader.

Moreover, this expedition highlights the significance of self reflection and individual development in leadership. The Undefended Leader teachings underscore the notion that genuine strength in leadership stems from recognizing and confronting one’s vulnerabilities instead of concealing them. This concept aligns with Lieberman’s exploration of the subconscious mind in Spellbound, proposing that by comprehending our underlying motivations and fears, we can lead with greater efficiency and authenticity[7].

In my experience, combined with the insights shared by Lieberman in Spellbound and the principles outlined in The Undefended Leader, I have come to realize a truth; the success of leadership and business is deeply intertwined with our inner psychological processes. By comprehending and aligning ourselves with our motivations and values as well as embracing vulnerability and openness we have the power to not only transform our businesses but also ourselves.

This transformation leads to a fulfilling and meaningful existence. Such harmony allows leaders to navigate the complexities of business with a renewed sense of purpose and clarity demonstrating that genuine leadership goes beyond achievements – it encompasses leading with empathy, intellect and passion[8].

1. Daniel Z. Lieberman, “Spellbound: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind” (New York: Random House, 2021); Simon P. Walker, “The Undefended Leader” (Gloucester: Piquant Editions, 2010).
2. Lieberman, “Spellbound” page 150
3. Ibid. page 152
4. Walker, “The Undefended Leader” page 68
5. Lieberman, “Spellbound” page 155
6. Daniel Lieberman, interview by Positive Head, “Soul-Share” podcast, audio, February 23, 2023, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnWFlmqmbms.
7. Lieberman, “Spellbound“; Walker, “The Undefended Leader
8. Ibid. page 156

How I used AI in this post

• I listened to the podcast but wanted to see the words so I could read a few sections without having to go back and try and click around to find what I wanted. The podcast was on YouTube so I copied the transcript and pasted it into GPT, the formatting was horrible. I asked it to give me a clean output, formatted well between two time stamps. It gave me a nice clean output of only the parts I wanted so I could reference it while I was writing
  • I wanted to reflect on my own change but wasn’t sure how to tell the story without it becoming the whole blog post and not referencing Spellbound and The Undefended Leader like I wanted to. The first draft of this post I was 350 words in and hadn’t mentioned either resource. I input into GPT that I wanted to become more concise in how I relate my story (I pated what I had written in) and then I summarized the points from the two books I wanted to write. Then I asked GPT to ask me some questions to help me focus my writing and include the resources. These are the questions it asked me:
    • In the process of shifting your business focus during the pandemic, did you experience a personal or professional transformation that you could liken to the alchemical process of turning a ‘base’ situation into something ‘noble’ or more valuable?
    • How might the symbolic aspects of alchemy, such as the transformation and unification of opposites, relate to your journey in reconciling different aspects of your business and personal growth?
    • How did the principles of vulnerability and open leadership, as might be discussed in “The Undefended Leader,” play a role in your decision-making process during this challenging time?
  • And finally, I always ask it for help when writing headlines. I did the same this time. My original idea for a headline was “Leading with Alchemy: Embracing Love and the Unconscious in Business Transformation”

Mathieu Yuill

While raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens may be a few of Julia Andrews' favourite things, here are a few of mine: Talking to strangers, Learning about what you do for fun, Conversation over coffee. I own a marketing and communications company in Toronto, Canada called Leading With Nice. There are a lot of names I could have given the company but a trusted friend encouraged me to name it that because I really value the humanness in us all. Bah - this is starting to sound like a horrible LinkedIn post. So whatever, let's have coffee. I'd love to hear about what you do for fun!

10 responses to “Unveiling the Unconscious: A Deep Dive into Mindful Business Practices”

HI Matthew,
    You are my hero. I remember you saying you “fired” some of your clients for behavior not honoring your staff…Nice.

You wrote, ” I have come to realize a truth; the success of leadership and business is deeply intertwined with our inner psychological processes.
    By comprehending and aligning ourselves with our motivations and values as well as embracing vulnerability and openness we have the power to not only transform our businesses but also ourselves.

THIS IS BRILLIANT.

I FEEL I MISSED THIS WHEN I READ THE BOOK. THANKS FOR MENTIONING Leading with Nice.

Shalom….

• Hello Mr. Chun!

I have to say, for someone who has served in the armed forces, I appreciate your kind words but I am sure you have seen actual heroism in your work. But we do indeed have a zero tolerance policy at Leading With Nice. I had a terrible boss for a while and I never want that kind of boss to be able to impact the lives of my staff so when a client or vendor steps out of line, we end the relationship (it’s only happened three times so far, so kind of rare).

I’m thrilled that the idea of intertwining leadership success with our inner psychological processes resonated with you. It’s indeed a profound realization that our professional actions and decisions are deeply connected to our personal values and psychological makeup. This understanding helps in leading with authenticity and integrity.

It’s great to hear that this insight provided a new perspective on the concepts discussed in the book. Remember, each reader takes away something unique from a book based on their own experiences and insights. Leading With Nice is an embodiment of these principles, and I’m glad it could add value to your understanding of authentic leadership.

Shalom and best wishes as you continue to explore and apply these insights in your own journey!

Hi Mathieu,
    I really appreciate how you pulled Simon Walker into this week’s reading. You made a great connection to the unconscious mind and confronting and concealing our vulnerabilities. I want to highlight something you wrote, “By prioritizing love, empathy and trust we not only challenge business practices but also pave the way for meaningful and significant success.” Love, empathy, and trust are words not typically associated with the business world (hopefully trust is) and I so appreciate you putting them in the forefront of your business ventures. Where are you seeing the positive or surprising impacts of these values in your business context?

• Dearest Jenny Dooooooooooooooooooley,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I’m glad you appreciated the connection to Simon Walker’s concepts and the integration of the unconscious mind in leadership.

Your observation about love, empathy, and trust being somewhat atypical in traditional business contexts is spot on. Integrating these values into my business practices has been both challenging and rewarding. One of the most positive impacts has been in the realm of team dynamics and client relationships. Prioritizing empathy has led to a deeper understanding of both my team’s and clients’ needs, fostering a more supportive and collaborative environment. For clarity, this doesn’t mean everyone is singing kumbaya all the time. This means with some clients, they just want the facts. They don’t care how we’re doing and they don’t care if we know how they’re doing. So we empathetically just give them what they ask for and nothing more.

Matthew,
    Wow, this is compelling:
    “This change aligns with Lieberman’s concept of integrating contrasting elements and shifting perspectives resonating with the notion of transforming components into something more precious and honorable.”

You state:
    “the success of leadership and business is deeply intertwined with our inner psychological processes”…

To this I say: YES! That’s what I am talking about!!
    Do you see me smiling and nodding my head!!?

I love your closing remarks as well! so good!

I attempted to connect with you over your website this past week. I emailed your company. I am not sure who handles incoming messages. Thanks for inquiring. My message may not have gone through.

May I have your email address?
    I am recording podcasts for my research project and would love to interview you. My research project is on the questions that Jesus asked and what we might learn from them.

I would love to hear more about your business and ponder this question:
    Context: before Jesus feeds the 5,000 he asks the disciples:
    “How many loaves do you have?” he asked. “Go and see.” When they found out, they said, “five-and two fish.”

I believe you would have some incredible insight to this dialogue Jesus has with his disciples.
    Would love to chat!
    Kristynewport@hotmail.com
    Knewport21@georgefox.edu

• Thank you so much for your enthusiastic response! It’s great to know that the concepts resonated so strongly with you.

I’m genuinely flattered by your interest in connecting for your podcast. Discussing the profound questions of Jesus and exploring their modern implications sounds like a fascinating project, one that aligns well with the values and insights we hold at Leading With Nice.

I’m intrigued by the question you’ve posed regarding Jesus’ dialogue with his disciples and the potential insights it holds for contemporary leadership and business. I look forward to the possibility of discussing this and more with you in your podcast. Thank you again for reaching out and for your kind words about my closing remarks!

I really like how you said “This transformation leads to a fulfilling and meaningful existence. Such harmony allows leaders to navigate the complexities of business with a renewed sense of purpose and clarity demonstrating that genuine leadership goes beyond achievements – it encompasses leading with empathy, intellect and passion[8].”
    I am curious, have you ever read David Whyte’s The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America? If not I think you’d like it. Feel gratitude for your Kind heart!

• Jana Banana (is that a nick name for you? Surely someone witty and fun must call you this regularly.)

Thank you for your kind words and for highlighting that particular passage. It’s heartening to know that the idea of leadership encompassing empathy, intellect, and passion resonated with you.

Regarding your recommendation, I haven’t yet had the opportunity to read David Whyte’s “The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America.” However, based on your suggestion, it certainly sounds like a book that aligns with my interests and the themes we’ve been discussing. The intersection of poetry and the corporate world is a fascinating area, and I’m intrigued to explore how Whyte navigates this. I’ll definitely add it to my reading list. Thank you for the recommendation, and I appreciate your acknowledgment of the kind-hearted approach we strive to maintain at Leading With Nice. Your feedback and interaction are greatly valued!

5. Mathieu,
    I enjoyed your post, well done! You made some great connections and like you, I really enjoyed the Undefended Leader by Simon Walker as well. Keep up the good work!

6. Thank you Greg!

I’m glad to hear that you also found Simon Walker’s “The Undefended Leader” impactful. It’s always refreshing to connect with others who appreciate the same insightful resources. This book offers such a unique perspective on leadership, and it’s great to know that it resonates with fellow professionals.

Your support is much appreciated! It’s these kinds of shared experiences and discussions that enrich our understanding and practice of effective leadership. Thank you again for your kind words.