Understanding the times…

An introduction to contemporary social theory by Anthony Elliott

In their book, Untamed, Alan and Debra Hirsch ask the question:

“In our day, one is left wondering if it us who are actually being “evangelised” by the prevailing mass culture rather than the other way around.” Their argument is that “the church has been deeply compromised by aspects of the prevailing culture.” (109)

In his book on Preaching, Tim Keller speaks of preaching Christ to the culture.

“To reach people gospel preachers must challenge the culture’s story at points of confrontation and finally retell the culture’s story, as it were, revealing how its deepest aspirations for good can be fulfilled only in Christ.” (20)

The men of Issachar were men “who understood the times” (1 Chron. 12:32)

Elliott’s introduction to contemporary social theory gives us a good overview of “the times” – the major cultural movements of the last century and the main thinkers and themes in the realm of sociology. From the Frankfurt School and its emphasis on the psychoanalytical, to the linguistically centred structuralists and post-structuralists, from feminism to globalisation, this book gives a sweeping review of the major themes of the twentieth and twenty-first century.

Some of the movements and thinkers are easier to understand than others – I found myself getting lost in psychobabble  land on more than one occasion. But this really is a good book to dig into the culture and society that we live and move in.

Whether making disciples, preaching, not conforming to the pattern of the world, living counterculturally, or indeed carrying out research, a clear understanding of culture and society is essential. This book provides a good degree of that information and I found myself wanting to read deeply in parts, and having a few moments where what I was reading resonated deeply with current experiences in my world of church ministry.

Geoff Lee

8 responses to “Understanding the times…”

Thank you Geoff, I looked up the book you referenced, “Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship”. It looks like a book I need and I totally agree with their concern.
    If Jesus is not THE Way THE Truth and THE Life, then I might as well just go on feeding chickens and pruning grapes.
    I do believe however that we could go a long ways to helping our culture if we really live the life and don’t look like a bunch of hypocrites to our neighbors. It’s the number one ‘back in your face’ comment I get when I try to share the Gospel. Looking at the VERY REAL social concerns should be something we do as Christians as well as you point out.

“To reach people gospel preachers must challenge the culture’s story at points of confrontation and finally retell the culture’s story, as it were, revealing how its deepest aspirations for good can be fulfilled only in Christ.”

Kellers words resonate with me as I reflect on my past 3 days at the “2016 Multiethnic Church Conference.” Our culture’s story in 2016 is one of conflict and separation. Issues of race, immigration, and ethnicity are divisive in our culture. White church leaders complain about black activists. Black church leaders see multi-ehnic churches as “stealing their sheep.” Many church leaders are fearful of Muslim immigrants.

Keller reminds us that we are to LEAD our culture, not REFLECT it.

3. So true about getting lost in the psychobabble! I resonated with that too in my reading. This was just a small taste of my graduate work…ugh.
    Your opening quote was thought provoking. I often wonder that too…who’s leading who? Sometimes I see church culture pretending to be the ones influencing the world when I often see them just running to catch up with the world. What would a church look like that was leading in social justice issues, unity, joy, and spiritual transformation?

4. Geoff, as always appreciate the way you cut to the point of it.
    You highlight (much more succinctly and clearly than I did) the critical value of social theory – ‘knowing the times’.
    If we know both the gospel and the times of our culture, only then are we able to speak to those points of conflict in meaningful ways.
    I think Keller (not just because he is a good Presbyterian) is one of the best examples of what this looks like, certainly in the American context anyway: clearly understanding and operating in the times of 21st century NYC, but also articulating a counter-cultural gospel of hope and love. Of course, you Brits have a few of your own to look to in that regard!

5. Geoff I loved the simplicity of your post. Especially with all the reading most of us are having to do this week, I found this post refreshing. I will agree with you on the Psychobabble. I had to look at other sources at times to understand Elliott’s summation of the various theories.

I do think that the church is influenced by the prevailing culture. To what degree is that detrimental? We would have to look at the fruit is has bore. Understanding the times is so vital to the health, growth and welfare of the Church as it moves beyond the 21st century. However, I do agree with Keller that we “must challenge the culture’s story at points of confrontation and finally retell the culture’s story, as it were, revealing how its deepest aspirations for good can be fulfilled only in Christ.” I think this is where discernment comes into play. Discernment will help us with questions like “when do we just sit in the crux of our understanding of the culture?” In response to Keller’s quote, “what are the points we need to confront?” In order to answer these questions it is imperative that we daily within our communities discern God’s mission and purpose for His Kingdom on this earth and our roles as bearers and citizens within it.

6. “To reach people gospel preachers must challenge the culture’s story at points of confrontation and finally retell the culture’s story, as it were, revealing how its deepest aspirations for good can be fulfilled only in Christ.” (20)

As preachers of the Gospel, how do we handle society within the church? The congregation comes to worship weekly with thoughts of their lives and society challenges, wondering how to balance it all. There are times society serves us with information, we interpret it as the truth. As preachers, how do we assist them with the process on how to seek the truth. The scriptures speak on it, but we need to guide them with the application in their lives.

7. Yes! Sometimes the psychobabble ran particularly deep and it WAS quite a slog, wasn’t it?
    Part of me resonates deeply with your call to be counter-cultural, but another part of me wonders which culture? Jesus seems to have been counter-cultural by somewhat reflecting the culture (partying with prostitutes and tax-collectors) while shunning the oppressive culture of the religious systems. I wonder if sometimes we work so hard to be counter-cultural that we create a different culture that lacks in the ability to know and love our neighbors.

“a clear understanding of culture and society is essential.” Well stated. As a missionary, we prioritized learning the language and culture of the place so we could relate to the people we lived with, and better understand what “good news” meant for them. Returning to our home context, we recognized that that model of learning the language/culture of a place doesn’t end when we leave a context foreign to us, but should continue as we evaluate and understand our own stomping ground.