Trusting the Process

As I type this post, what is most prevalent in my mind is “I hope I am writing this blog post correctly?” (Slight panic, just being honest).  Some of you may relate.  While trying something new is difficult, I am reminded of a quote, “Ask yourself if what you are doing today is getting you closer to where you want to be tomorrow”. (anonymous)  It is the idea of persevering through the process and enjoying the growth steps along the way, that gives me hope and stamina for what is ahead.

Reading. . . . In my doctoral journey, it is my hope that my ability to read synoptically, as defined by Mortimer Adler in the article, How to Read a Book, will develop. As I read from a variety of resources affecting my NPO, comparing and contrasting the ideas against my own thoughts, beliefs and biases, thereby creating new questions and angles of thought, will be helpful in gaining a more complete picture of the solution.   My life as a reader has evolved from learning to read (first understanding of alphabetic principle and making the connections to phonemes/graphemes) to reading to learn.  This often looks like reading books about theology, spiritual growth, cultural trends, personal and professional study and growth.  As I read, the value of my research will be found in the discovery process as my NPO is refined.  As Kate Turabian states, When we make a claim, we must expect, even encourage, others to question not just our claim but how we reached it, to ask Why do you believe that?” (p. 312, A Manual for Writers)

Note taking. . . With note-taking, I find that I take notes on things that connect with something I am considering or an important fact.  As I listen to lectures, this process of note-taking can offer challenges, specifically when the presenter has specific things that I need to retain and regurgitate in some fashion.  I remember back to my Survey of the New Testament course in my undergrad at Asbury University with Dr. Victor Hamilton.  He would lecture on the New Testament so passionately and I would take copious notes only to discover the notes I wrote down didn’t match what was on a test.  It was very discouraging and so I often have that question in my mind as I take notes. . . Is this “the note” that needs to be taken?

Writing. . . Writing is an avenue of expression that I enjoy the most.  As an elementary teacher and instructional coach it is the content area that I have a lot of experience in teaching and presenting professional development on.  However, this is at the elementary level. . . teaching students to find their craft, add their voice, and edit the conventions is vastly different from writing professional material.  While this is the part of the journey I am looking forward to most, it is an area where I anticipate growth as well.

All in all, I am choosing to trust the process.  I am grateful that we have this format to share our thoughts, wonderings and questions to mutually strengthen one another in this process.

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

13 responses to “Trusting the Process”

1. mm Kim Sanford says:

You mention note-taking while listening to lectures. I’m curious what you thought of the concept and procedure of taking smart notes? Have you been able to try it out? Does it seem like something that will be a good fit for you and the way you think?

I’m trying my best to give it a go, but the jury is still out. I’m really not sure if I’m going to be able to make it work for me. It feels like there’s such a steep learning curve (both in terms of the process but also with the various software options). In some ways I’m afraid of losing time trying to learn the new process while I should be digesting all those books on my bibliography!

• Cathy Glei says:

Much of my note-taking practice, at this point, looks like either collecting notes in Evernote under different categories or typing notes in a Google doc. I hope to get more practice in that style of note-taking.

I like how you formatted your post. I am learning from you! I relate to your note-taking process and I like your question, “Is this the note that needs to be taken?” I will be keeping that in mind. How has your note-taking changed since your revelation in Dr. Hamilton’s class? Is there a specific method you use?

3. Scott Dickie says:

Turabian’s statement that you quote in your blog stood out to me, Cathy, as both exciting and scary. I want those necessary questions, challenges, and critiques for the insight it will undoubtably provide me as I do my research, and yet it is a ‘vulnerable’ place to be as well. It reminds me of the importance of humility within a cohort community where we are primarily focussed on learning together and not simply appearing intelligent by what we produce or the questions we might ask of each other.

4. Kally Elliott says:

Like Scott, I found Turabian’s statement to stand out and make me nod my head in agreement as I read. To make claims and then to write them down for others to read is to invite readers into a conversation. Conversations are helpful to my growth and while I may not always appreciate the feedback, usually, it can be helpful. I can so relate to your copious note taking during class and then finding none of your notes are actually on the test! I have a tendency to write down everything which translates into me not digesting anything!

5. Adam Harris says:

I’m with you Cathy, I am enjoying this format and process as well. Much more than I anticipated. It does feel like we are learning and growing together as a group.

I’ve got to echo what others have said on here. I love the Turbarian quote, “When we make a claim, we must expect, even encourage, others to question not just our claim but how we reached it, to ask Why do you believe that?”

This challenges me to not only identify my questions and ideas, but “show my work”. How did I get here? Why do I see it this way? Where is the evidence to support my claim? That anticipation reminds me to document the process, not just the solutions, which I know I appreciate in other peoples work.

6. mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Oh yeah, I can relate to the slight panic…I felt it as Thursday approached. Similarly, I often ask myself/wonder if what I am focusing on or taking notes on is the most important things. Is this where I should be focusing my attention? I have decided that if it holds my attention then there is something that I need to further explore. The breakdown happens when I attempt to actually make notes that I can follow later. I was really intrigued by Ahrens book…it just might transform my note taking abilities.

• Jennifer Vernam says:

I second the resonance of panic prior to making that first post. And, my rational brain reminds me that this has been a pretty friendly, accepting group, so far, so why the fear? I wonder how we can make this environment even more welcoming to each other than it already is for trying out these new tasks?

7. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Cathy, I am guessing or “inferring” that this particular week of learning for us really resonated with you as someone whose career is in the teaching world. I particularly resonated with you when you spoke about the pain of taking great notes only to find most of it was not on the test! Argh! Who knew there was a smart way to take notes…I’m going to adopt your note taking mantra…Is this “the note” that needs to be taken?”

8. mm Dinka Utomo says:

I’ve had a similar experience with you, Cathy. What I wrote in my notebook didn’t show up on the exam. Therefore I have to rely on reference books and other relevant book readings to the subject matter, write down important points and elaborate on them. Ahrens said that the challenge of writing and studying is to understand because we have learned what we understand. The problem is meaning of something is not always clear and needs to be explored. That’s why we need to decipher it. But elaboration is nothing more than connecting information to other information in a meaningful way (Ahrens, 86).
    One thing I want to ask you regarding what you do as an elementary teacher is how far can your writing and notes as your expressions help you in educating students?

• Cathy Glei says:

Good day Dinka,
      Thank you for inquiring. In this doctoral journey, the writing and notes that I am doing will greatly impact how the Lord is leading me, and the call to ministry He has placed on my life. There is a story of how that all came to be during Covid, when schools across the US and the world were closed. In the meantime, as I serve and support teachers, the Lord is using the process of reading, studying, writing and note-taking to form me. So while those things may not directly impact teaching in my current role, the Lord is paving a new way. I don’t know all that that entails, but I am choosing to listen, trust, follow and listen a lot more. Does that make sense?