Time, Listen, Observe, and Discover

Culture, the lens through which we all interpret life. It colors everything from communication styles, decision making, to resolving conflict and trust. Yet, we are seldom aware of it in ourselves. It is just the way things are done. This status quo remains until that moment we are confronted by a different culture. Erin Meyer, in The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business [1], tackles the daunting task of making sense of cultural differences for the purpose of building a bridge of business cooperation.

Erin Meyer is an award-winning author and professor at INSEAD international business school.[2] Her experience living and working abroad has contributed to the rich insight into how people from various cultures live, work, and communicate. This self-help business, and leadership book explores eight cultural traits on a spectrum. Where a particular culture is on the spectrum provides insight into how individuals from a different culture can better understand and work collaboratively within that culture. This research based and experienced tested resource provides the reader with tools to navigate the realities of cross-cultural interactions these “are not hard and fast rules.” [3]

The Culture Map was a fascinating read for me. I found myself reliving a long list of cross-cultural errors made by me or other Americans that had traveled before me. That is not to say that other cultures do not make a mess of things. There is no doubt that I could have greatly benefited from this book thirty plus years ago.

Every culture trait and element that Meyer described evoked a story of some sort of culture clash. I remember attending a neighborhood discussion about maintenance of the building. Throughout the conversation I became very aware that this was not like any other neighborhood meeting. That one event opened the door to a treasure trove of insight. I learned that Poles do not trust [4] people who will not drink alcohol with them. My Evangelical American culture that looks down on the consumption of alcohol, particularly in public was uncomfortable. That was the day I learned to drink beer. The relationship and trust were more important that my personal cultural expectations. For my neighbors, the relational aspect of sharing alcohol was significant to deepening our relationship. I was grateful that Polish discussions are full of words without making much progress toward the end goal. It gave me lots of time to formulate my input in Polish. In this case, it was due to the fact that no one had the authority [5] to make the decision.

I often found myself in conversations that were highly confrontational.[6] These made feel uncomfortable as a person striving to be a Christian who walked in peace, and grace. One time, the young woman Polish woman who was living with was yelling in my face. When I responded to her with a calm, “When you have calmed down than we can talk about this rationally.” She responded, “You do not fight fair!” That response never would have crossed my mind.

Throughout these many years I have had the opportunity to gain experience from many cultures and people. Most of them were European, but also Asian, and South American. There were a number of lessons I learned that help me manage my discomfort and they are between the lines in our reading.

• All culture is beautiful in the sight of God and its uniqueness is important, but it needs own redemption so that when we all stand before Jesus the fulness of his glory is reveal.
  • The best way to get through those challenging moments is to move slower, listen more carefully, observer how they do it, and discover the beauty in the culture Jesus has given me opportunity to experience.
  • Take the time to just have coffee and watch how life is lived.
  • Learn what is valuable in the culture by what is stocked in their grocery stores
  • Ask a local what I need to experience in their homeland
  • Ask the local what their hopes and dreams are.
  • Culture is a sensitive topic because it is a piece of our identity. Many Americans suffer from an identity crisis because they are not deeply rooted in an ethnic culture. Hence, people pursuing their roots through sites like Ancestry.com or taking DNA tests.

Here are a few questions that this reading stirred within me:

• What is the role of shame and honor in shaping a cultures communication style?
  • How does large amounts of vastly different cultures immigrating into a high context culture impact the shared assumptions and communication?[7]
  • How do dramatic historical and economical events (Fall of Communism, war, economic depressions) change culture maps? How quickly might these changes occur? And are they permanent changes?

__________________

[1] Erin Meyer, The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business (New York: Public Affairs, 2014).

[2] INSEAD, “Erin Meyer,” University Faculty page, INSEAD, n.d., https://www.insead.edu/faculty-research/faculty/erin-meyer.

[3] “Review: The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business,” Kirkus Reviews Issue, April 16, 2014, https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/erin-meyer/the-culture-map/.

[4] Meyer, The Culture Map, 167.

Denise Johnson

Special Education teacher K-12, School Counselor K-12, Overseas field worker in Poland,

10 responses to “Time, Listen, Observe, and Discover”

1. mm Andy Hale says:

Denise,

What an insightful post. One thing your writing triggered within me is what the cultural map would look like just within the American church. Can you imagine the characteristic scales within Southern Evangelicalism, Anglican, Presbyterian USA, American Baptists, or Catholics?

And in what ways do the specific contexts of the cultures surrounding those faith traditions shape how people express themselves verbally and non-verbally?

2. mm Nicole Richardson says:

Denise thank you so much for your summary and sharing your insight from your cross-cultural experience. I appreciate your willing to spirit that led you to learn to drink beer 🙂

You asked this questions, “What is the role of shame and honor in shaping a cultures communication style?” I also wonder alongside this what ways power impacts the shame/honor dynamic?

How would you combine the awareness of a culture that engages differently than you with an ability to be your authentic self? What are the boundaries we must have to nurture trust and be our real selves?

3. Kayli Hillebrand says:

Denise: Thank you for sharing so much of your personal experience and learnings in relation to the reading this week.

Over the last decade of training and mobilizing students around the globe, I can confirm that so much cultural learning can be accomplished by just two of the bullets you list: “Learn what is valuable in the culture by what is stocked in their grocery stores
    Ask a local what I need to experience in their homeland”

Beyond the alcohol, what was stocked in the Polish grocery store that led you to understand more about the culture or region in which you were immersed in?

Denise, you offer us valuable insights as an American who has extensive experience across cultures. You wrote: “Culture is a sensitive topic because it is a piece of our identity. Many Americans suffer from an identity crisis because they are not deeply rooted in an ethnic culture.” Can you say more about the impacts of not being deeply rooted in an ethnic culture? Meyer plots America on her scales, but I wonder if you would view American culture as unique among the others with deep roots??

Denise: My favorite part of your post was the last two sections. Your list of the favorite things about this book was spot on. I agree even though all culture is beautiful, all cultures are still in need of redemption. And your first question about shame and honor is so relevant to South Africa. After reading both Mandela and Tutu, I understand how important shame and honor is in a culture. And how powerful forgiveness is. Nice post.

6. mm Jonathan Lee says:

Denise, thank you so much for you great and insightful summaries. I really enjoyed your own personal summary of lessons you’ve learned over your precious experiences.

I really liked the last question you posed: “How do dramatic historical and economical events (Fall of Communism, war, economic depressions) change culture maps? How quickly might these changes occur? And are they permanent changes?” As I was reading Meyer’s book, I was wondered the same question of how country’s history and economic changes have shaped Meyer’s eight scales.

7. Elmarie Parker says:

Hi Denise…thank you for your thoughtful engagement with Meyer’s work. I love the personal journey insights you share and relate to so much of what you have shared…love the grocery shelves insight! And asking locals what their hopes/dreams are. I would add to that, asking about what has been most discouraging or concerning to them in their context.

I also love the questions you pose at the end…like Jonathan, I especially resonate with: “How do dramatic historical and economical events (Fall of Communism, war, economic depressions) change culture maps? How quickly might these changes occur? And are they permanent changes?” Your part of Europe has experienced and is experiencing a lot of this! What cultural changes did you see following the fall of communism (or have you heard from friends/colleagues)?

The question about the impact of vastly different cultures immigrating into a high context culture is also part of what you have experienced in your part of Europe. What initial observations do you have on this?

Denise, your summary of lessons learned is amazing! Honestly, an exceptional list (I saved it on Obsidian!).

You have lived a fascinating life and have much wisdom you have gained over the years. How do you envision God using you and this wisdom to lead and engage others?

• mm Denise Johnson says:

Eric,
      I am so blessed. I may not have much money, but I am truly blessed in amazing relationships with people all over the world. You have hit on the million-dollar question. I feel like a teenager seeking God for what I am supposed to be when I grow up…a second time. This program is a vital part of this discovery journey.

9. mm Mary Kamau says:

Thank you, Denise, for this very well-organized blog; I really liked the way you summarized the lessons learned. The one question that reading this book and reflecting on the way technological advancements are making the world a globalized and virtual “village” is whether there will evolve a “global culture.” It is apparent that the culture that has emerged in the US has been influenced by the need for people from different cultures that have immigrated to the US to co-exist; what are your thoughts about the possibility of a hybrid “global culture” emerging out of the globalized and virtual nature of our world today?