Threshold of Faith

“You have to embrace your authority as a pastor.” That was a common theme in my conversations as I prepared for ordination. I would meet with my mentor pastor and she would consistently tell me to embrace my authority, or more accurately, the identity of being a pastor. It was a threshold that I needed to move through if I was going to be able to step into the role of pastor. In many ways, I had to learn to embrace this identity before I could move on to other aspects of learning, all while this created a disorientation that I was resisting. 

These conversations came to mind as I considered the ideas of Meyer and Land in “Overcoming Barriers to Student Understanding”. The Idea of a “liminality” and a “portal” to new understanding captures the existential experience of learning. Indeed, there are certain concepts that are disorienting enough that they seem unlikely to be true upon first examination, yet lead to a paradigm shift that can unlock new perspectives within learning. 

The use of the Adam and Eve metaphor brought to mind potential threshold concepts within spiritual learning. I have personally experienced these in my own spiritual journey and have noticed these in the journey of others. These concepts also create substantial dissonance that people resist the information presented and choose not to enter into the liminal space of wrestling with the implications that the new information might have on previously held concepts and structures of spiritual thinking. Admittedly, as a pastor, I have hesitated to embark on certain conversations in anticipation of difficult conversations to follow, while knowing that certain paradigms need to be shifted to move a person further into their faith.

This leads me to consider that suffering is a necessary spiritual threshold concept. The reality is that everyone suffers, and for many, the allure of faith is that it offers an escape from suffering, even though Jesus makes the opposite promise (John 16:33). The experience of suffering in the midst of faith is a necessary threshold concept when it does come to the person. It is an experience that cannot be given to the person, and one that they can only experience on their own. If the person enters into the liminality of wrestling with suffering and hope, their faith will become deeper and more personal in a way that can never be taught in concepts. The result of entering into this kind of threshold is a deeper prayer life, greater trust in God and ability to relate to those who have suffered in a similar manner.

In addition to suffering, there are a number of other threshold concepts that may be discovered. Reflecting on my own experience, there are a number of other paradigm shifts in my own faith. Times in which new approaches shifting thinking to the point of disorientation and ultimately, to new categories of learning. A few in my own life are atonement theory and historical-critical approaches to scripture. Many more threshold concepts are undoubtably present in faith, just as in other disciplines of learning whether academic, spiritual or professional. 

Chad McSwain

Chad is a systematic creative serving in pastoral ministry for nearly 20 years, Chad is a professional question-asker and white-board enthusiast, who enjoys helping people discover their own passions and purpose. A life-long learner, he has a B.A, Philosophy - Univ. Central Oklahoma, M.A Theology - Fuller Seminary, M.Div. Perkins School of Theology at SMU and is pursuing a Doctor of Leadership - George Fox University. He is an ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church, currently serving as Lead Pastor of Whitesboro UMC. Chad and his wife, Brandi live in Prosper, Texas along with their three children, two pugs and a chameleon.

6 responses to “Threshold of Faith”

1. mm Daron George says:

Chad,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! While reading your reflection this comment kept speaking to me “If the person enters into the liminality of wrestling with suffering and hope, their faith will become deeper and more personal in a way that can never be taught in concepts.” I like how you attached suffering as a necessary spiritual threshold concept can you expound on this a little? One of the things that Ray Lan, Jan H. F. Meyer and Michael T. Flanagan wrote in Threshold Concepts in practice “As the word ‘threshold’ suggests, this framework presumes learning is a dynamic experience that moves a student from one state to another.” I’m curious in which ways have you seen your faith grow from one state to another state through suffering.

• mm Chad McSwain says:

Hi Daron

Thanks for the question. I think this is large topic to be explored and reflected on in my life. Overall, I would comment that suffering is the place where my faith has become real, or more personal. Interestingly, I think it is in the letting go of expectations as to how my life should go as I live within the will of God. Suffering has given the invitation to understand Jesus as the one who suffered and I identify with that suffering to greater degrees as I have experienced greater degrees of suffering. I’ve experienced this personally, emotionally or empathetically when entering into another’s suffering.

In reflecting on this great question, I think the marvel of suffering is that people learn to survive and thrive in the midst of it. The resiliency of people is astonishing, particularly as the suffering opens to great awareness to other’s suffering and the necessity of community during and after the experience.

How have you seen your faith grow through suffering?

2. Chad – I think you are spot on with regard to suffering being part of the spiritual transformation process. It definitely was in my own life. As it relates to threshold concepts and liminality, where do you think the suffering typically occurs? Is suffering the impetus for the journey, does it happen in the liminality phase or is it the factor that finally pushes one through to greater understanding? Curious about your thoughts on that!

• mm Chad McSwain says:

Great question. I think suffering proceeds the threshold experience and is experienced within the threshold. Suffering can the trigger for entering into the learning experience. It is what awakens to new reality and understanding, and also is experienced when old ideas, perceptions, and paradigms are stripped away. Suffering also occurs in mourning what was lost and awaiting what will come again. That is why some will resist entering and mourning through the liminal space and return to previous ideas, assumptions and categories.
      Where do you think suffering is located in the threshold experience?

3. Chad,
    Thank you for this blog and relating this to ministry. Often the process we go through to prepare us for the high calling of ministry is great. I also agree with you that suffering is one of the greatest thresholds we go through that transforms us into the leader God is inviting us into. Well done!

4. mm Becca Hald says:

Chad,
    I can relate to your commentary about “embracing your authority as a pastor.” For a long time, I disqualified myself or diminished my value because I am “just an associate pastor” or because I am unpaid in my position. How did ordination change your perspective? Did it help you cross the threshold to pastoral authority? Did you notice any differences in your approach to ministry?