There’s Enough To Go Around

The other day my wife pulled out some cookies from the oven and laid them on the counter. Just a few minutes later my daughter jumped up on the counter, smelled the cookies, and then quickly managed to lick each one. I was in shock. When I asked her what in the world she was doing she responded by saying, “I want to make sure I get some.” In her selfish act (which she probably gets from me) she was really speaking to a deep human emotion that comes from the fear of scarcity. This fear that we are running low, or will run out, motivates us all. We think there just won’t be enough food, enough money, enough oil, enough you name it. We globally have enough of everything to go around but how do we value each other enough to share it?

Zygmunt Bauman’s book Collateral Damage helps bring to life the inequality in our world and the people that become the collateral damage, or those that suffer the “unanticipated effects…the harmful, hurtful, and damaging” effects of others decisions. As Bauman points out, “thinking in terms of collateral damage tacitly assumes an already existing inequality of rights.[1]

I think Bauman correctly says, “hardly any one model is free from its own hitches and stumbling blocks[2]” but can’t we agree that some models are better then others? I understand Bauman’s opening illustration and the significant inequalities that resulted because of hurricane Katrina, but anyone living in Wichita has been influenced by the Koch brothers, the largest political donors in the country (committed 1 Billion dollars to the upcoming election) and their staunch belief in the free market. The Koch brothers regularly point to the free market as to why the poor in America are better off then the poor anywhere else. I’ve also heard the Koch brothers compare our nation’s response to the Katrina disaster to other global natural disasters and how their nations responded (i.e. Haiti earthquake.) I don’t know the right answer but Bauman is right  “we cannot effectively defend our freedoms here at home while fencing ourselves off from the rest of the world and attending solely to our own affairs.[3]” The Koch brothers (and many others) don’t consider liquid modernity and the global inequalities when they invest their billions into the American political system. There is an “us against them mentality” that values our life as something greater then others.

So how do we minimize collateral damage? How do think globally? How do we share resources and connect with others? I think it starts with finding value in all people. I am not sure the answer but I’ve witnessed something globally that gives me hope. Human trafficking has jumped to the forefront as a social issue in many nations. While there is a lot of work that needs to be done I’ve been surprised to see the progress Governments and Social groups have accomplished together. It started with awareness, changing language, implementing laws, and finding value in women who once were viewed without value. The issue of Human trafficking has a long way to go but I believe in a few shorts years the conversation has changed, an inequality is slowly being addressed, and people are willing to share their resources, time, and money now that they see an issue differently.

How do we minimize collateral damage? We must stop licking all the cookies and claiming them for ourselves. We must see the value in others and build relationships with those that society has discarded. We must learn that there is enough to go around for everyone because Jesus is enough for everyone.

[1] Zygmunt Bauman, Collateral Damage: Social Inequalities in a Global Age (Cambridge, UK.: Polity, 2011), 5.

[2] Ibid., 11

[3] Ibid., 21

Nick Martineau

Nick is a pastor at Hope Community Church in Andover, KS, founder of ILoveOrphans.com, and part of the LGP5 cohort.

9 responses to “There’s Enough To Go Around”

Hey Nick,

What kind of cookies? lol because that might be important. You are right there is so much to go around. I dont think God would allow the world to have so many people and he cant take care of them. Society suffers from greed and some who have way too much and are not concerned about those who have way to little. Crime and other vices stem from this disproportionate system and the bad things is people like the company you spoke of rationalize it as a good thing! Wow

Nick, loved your post. What a great analogy. We not only lick all the cookies, but we would rather feed them to our dog than to a fellow human being. I walked into the living room today and found my wife watching a telethon for underprivileged pets. People couldn’t wait to call in and pledge. Don’t get me wrong, I love animals and hate to see them suffer, but it grieves my heart to see people more ready to sponsor a needy dog than to help a sick or starving person.

• Phillip Struckmeyer says:

Brian, I may have bought the roses but I did not participate in the pet tele-a-thon:)!

• Brian Yost says:

Phil,
        The dirty wet dogs, sad eyes, and depressing color filters mixed with sad music was heart-wrenching. The true condition of the dogs in the videos was not the point, they looked sad because slow motion and sad music made them look sad. I wonder what Sarah Pink would say about the ethics of their presentation.

• Nick Martineau says:

Brian, Collateral damage and inequality often boils down to what we value more. It’s sad that people value their pets more then human life.

Nick, Simple clear, convicting. And selfishly I’m wondering what it would be like to be able to throw a billion at something I wanted to support, or better said ‘influence’.

I appreciate your example of human trafficking, it has a hopeful tone.

Nick, Those Koch brothers are a bunch of cookie lickers!!! There are definitely perplexing angles to look at the issue of global poverty and inequality. I was staying with a friend in Auckland, NZ who was an HR exec. for Fletcher Steal. It is a global company that has many plants in China exploiting the poor . . . or has many plants in China who wouldn’t have anything if they weren’t there??? I don’t think there are easy answers but I do think “truth” and “right” and ” good” are simple and we ought to be able to do better in this world. And if you where thinking of mailing me any of the cookies, feel free to just let your daughter have them:).

Your post struck me profoundly…an honest assessment of the way we operate in fear. I have tried to live into the idea of God’s abundance versus scarcity, but it’s not easy in a world that operates on what we don’t have.
    As well, your words about human trafficking and lack of fair trade practices serve as a reminder of being mindful of what I buy and invest in. I hope you have an opportunity to share this post with whom you minister – it has a profound message.