Theology and Jesus Thinking

Theology and Jesus Thinking

October 25, 2014

For this to be an introduction it covered a broad range of theological topics. And since we are faced with so many world religions and dogmas, exploring other religions is not bad just to understand ours. I like how David F. Ford explained the concepts surrounding why we have religions and why our life needs it. Knowing God is one thing and how people perceive him is different. For instance Issis and Al Qaeda feel like they are doing service for God according to their belief. According to our postmodern belief system we consider them terrorist. That’s why I was really intrigued when we get into and on the subject of Jesus Christ. Ford delivers a convincing realization when it comes to theology and primarily Jesus Christ. “ Within the New Testament the tension between an interest in speculating about the details of the end of history and a more fundamental insistence that, whatever the deals and the plot, the basic truth and hope is in Jesus Christ a the decisive character in the drama.”[1] Jesus is involved with creation and in the end of all things. I like this because people can speculate for a lot of things in the book of Genesis of what they don’t believe. There are stories that point to issues that are happening in our society today, for example the treatment of woman in Genesis. But when theology is really looked into having a conclusion and an end in one person is pretty promising. This is not to say other religions don’t have this in some form. But having one person who was involved with creation, involved in the history of man, revealed to us though a body, died for the sins of the world, rose from the dead and is going to return, really encapsulates every area of a theology. It’s hard to conceive having a religion or belief system that does not have this type of breadth.

To me from this book I feel like I gravitated more to Jesus and Jesus thinking because the doctrines that are about him are not just monetary. His life and death reaches a lot further than just dogmas and tradition. His existence from the beginning of time is important to his claims of being the Messiah. Having rituals and systematic religion does not touch on these issues like Christ. 1 Timothy 3:16 sums it up like this, “Without controversy great is the mystery of Godliness, God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.”(NKJV) I just think you have to touch on all these areas for a theology to by conclusive about all of life.

The book Theology a Very Short Introduction really got me thinking about religions in the world with an open mind of why people need a religion or a theology. It made me do a closer analysis on mine. At times we can forget the richness of our faith in Christianity and what Christ came to do for humankind. I am not just doing religion to prove an ideology like some religions do. I am believing that in Christ I have promise of the life down here and the one to come.

[1] David Ford, Theology a Very Short Introduction (New York: Oxford University Press, 1999), 82.

Travis Biglow

Pastor of Victory Empowerment Center. Regional Chaplain High Desert Regional Center Graduates Azusa Pacific University. Licensed General Contractor B. I am the married with one daughter, two grandsons and one step son.

7 responses to “Theology and Jesus Thinking”

1. Phillip Struckmeyer says:

Travis,
    I love your line, “Knowing God is one thing and how people perceive him is different.” Knowing and perceiving do seem different. I think two people can know the same thing about God doctrinally because of having the same information, but what is perceived from that information can lead to many differing views. It seems our theology is determined by our perceptions of what we know about God. Definitely an interesting thought. Thanks!

2. Mary Pandiani says:

I too appreciated Ford’s depiction of Jesus Christ as the center of Christianity, especially describing him as “the decisive character in the drama.” Because Ford’s intent was to show how theology can be done across all religions, I was initially surprised by his assertion. Sometimes naming Jesus Christ causes more division than understanding for those who don’t believe in the Triune God. But as he continued on with the process of theology, his emphasis on understanding who Jesus Christ was and still is was a reminder of how powerful the good news of Jesus is.
    You also reminded me, Travis, of a friend who said, “you don’t know what you believe until you are able to articulate the other person’s point of view.” In a way, you stated this same idea by indicating how looking at other religions helps clarify your own beliefs and theology.

3. Travis Biglow says:

Philip, you got it. Perception is important. It can lead people to do different things. It can stimulate so many things that lead us to a greater knowledge of the Lord. Blessings

4. Travis Biglow says:

Mary, God bless you for your great observations in this book. The Centrality of Jesus Christ starts more trouble with a lot a people for so many reasons. Its amazes me when we look at other religions and what they have done and then look at Christianity and what Christianity has done. The breadth of Christianity covers so many things like martyrdom, persecution, healing, restoration, forgiveness, love, peace, self control and this is just to name a few. Other religions help us when we can observe them and see the great principles our possess!
    Thank You Mary

5. Brian Yost says:

“At times we can forget the richness of our faith in Christianity and what Christ came to do for humankind.”
    This is a great reminder for us, Travis. Christians sometimes live as if they have little to be joyful and hopeful about. We have such a richness in Christ and the world is looking for what we have. If we cannot live our theology, it seems pointless to try to teach about it.

• Dawnel Volzke says:

Travis and Brian…you are so right! It’s when the rubber hits the road that our faith comes alive to others. I think that we demonstrate how closely we hold to our beliefs when we have to actually live them everyday versus just on Sunday mornings.

6. Travis Biglow says:

Brian,

Amen we have to live our theology if we are going to teach it. The best teacher is one who lives by example in the Christian faith. Being a Christian is a blessing to me. I love it more now that I have accepted in more by faith and not according to my works. The Christian faith is hard to understand if you approach it by works and not by faith. Christ has provided everything necessary for our life and godliness. We must appropriate this finished work by faith through grace! God bless you brother Brian!!!!