The Value of One

There is a well-known story that is told of a little boy (or little girl, according to the adaption of the story) who was walking along a vast beach, throwing starfish back into the ocean. Many starfish populated the beach because the tide had washed them up onto the shore. An old man approaches the boy and asks him, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.” The boy responds by bending down and throwing another single starfish into the ocean and says, “It made a difference to that one!” This story is a great reminder how an evaluation of numbers can change one’s perspective. Tom Chivers and David Chivers help readers of their book, How to Read Numbers, evaluate the statistical data that is shared in the media and in politics with a different lens. Their premise is that “we need to understand how numbers are made, how they are used and how they can go wrong, because otherwise we’ll make bad decisions as individuals and as a society.”  [1]

In chapter 9, Chivers shares a story about Donald Trump who stated in 2018 that “300 people are murdered by undocumented immigrants in the United States every year.” [2] Chivers questions if this is a large number. The argument continues with findings that “in Texas, undocumented immigrants are less likely to be murderers then the average citizen, ‘legal’ or ‘documented’ migrants committed about one murder per 100,000 people.” [3] The authors are making the point that Trump should not have attributed 300 murders to illegal immigrants. The authors use statistical data from Texas but not the United States.  Shouldn’t the numbers represent the United States as the common denominator? Whether the argument is for illegal immigrants committing homicides or not, the author misses the point. Isn’t the main issue that people have been murdered?  Numbers aside, these are homicides, “17,250 total in the US in 2016” according to the FBI. [4] Killing is the problem. Numbers are inescapable for larger scale social decisions, and we must use them well, but also recognize their limited usefulness.  

Let’s look at how Jesus reads numbers. In Matthew 18 Jesus tells the story of the lost sheep and the shepherd who will leave the flock of ninety-nine to find the one. Numbers in this story illustrate a point that Jesus is wanting to make.  We find Jesus tapping into the power numbers to communicate. “We all use numbers, consciously or otherwise, to help us navigate the world.” [5]

Matthew 18:12 “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? v.13 And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. v. 14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.”

Jesus appeals to the listeners he is addressing by asking “What do you think?” At the outset of the story, he wants his listeners to think critically for themselves. The hundred sheep represent those who are among those Jesus would call His own. Each “sheep” is precious in God’s estimation. Most people would think that the numbers are large enough for the one sheep to be left to his own demise. Jesus wants to illustrate how one sheep has immeasurable worth to him and is worthy of leaving the other sheep in a potentially harmful position, looking for the one. Jesus wants these numbers to influence how we think and act in view of the value God would have towards one individual, one sheep. “When is a number a big number? I agree with the authors when they state: “When is a number a big number? There is no such thing really. Or rather, the bigness or otherwise of a number depends entirely on its context.”  [6]

My personal learning from the lessons that Jesus taught and the book How to Read Numbers can be applied to the work I do in my private practice. I have contracted with the county to provide services to those who have been Victims of Crimes. Often, this population is difficult to work with as they do not personally pay for their services. Ownership in the counseling process is lessened due to no financial investment on their part. Also, the fee for their services is less than my private practice fee. But I love these clients. I will continue to work with them as I know that they are much like the starfish on the shore or like the one lost sheep. They might be ONE- which is a small number, but in God’s eyes they have inestimable worth.        

[1] Tom Chivers and David Chivers, How to Read Numbers,2021, p.3

[2] Ibid. p.65

[3] ibid. p.66

[4] Ibid. p.65

[5] Ibid. p.3

[6] Ibid. p.63

Kristy Newport

7 responses to “The Value of One”

Kristy, Thank you so much for your post! I like how you brought in Jesus’ story of the 99 sheep and the one lost individual that he retrieved and loved. You then wove that thinking into your practice and the importance of each person with whom you work. It is interesting, isn’t it, that God, who keeps track of the masses of humans in the world, still is able to value each individual separately. I wonder, how in your opinion, in a world that often focuses on big numbers of people and loses sight of each soul, can we have a stronger Jesus lens and value life as he did, one person at a time?

Jenny,
    What a fabulous question!
    In Leadersmithing,p. 22, there is an interesting study which addresses the adage “people leave managers, not companies” It can be said, “people leave leaders of the church, not churches.” I think this relates to losing sight of the individual in the companies or churches we are in. The questions outlined on page 22 address this fall out. If a “manager shows interest in their staff, provides them regular support and feedback”, retention in the workplace goes up.p.23 Isn’t this true in a church or in a school setting as well? Look at Jason Clarks three words next to his name in his emails: Be known, Belong. Become. This mission must be experienced not only as a corporation, cohort, or small group, but at the individual level. How well are leaders doing this for those in their sphere of influence? Yes, it impacts retention and productivity, but ultimately relationship.
    Another look at Jesus: How did Jesus engage these people: The woman at the well, calling of the 12 disciples, and Mary at the tomb? These were all personal encounters and what is noteworthy: the impact they had on others due to being known and loved by the Savior.

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Wow, thank you for your thoughts! Being known and loved can be so powerful. I wonder if this might be part of the answer to the question we were discussing over on my blog, regarding how to empower people to break cycles of poverty and homelessness. How can we better create communities where everyone feels known and loved?

Thank you for the rich conversations!

Hi Kristy

Great discussion of statistics and the person behind each number. I really appreciated how you illustrated this with the personal way that you go for the one in your counseling practice.

You can say more about how you determine which “one” will get your time? I can imagine that in a counseling practice and working with those that committed crimes, there are more people counseling hours, which makes you decide how you will spend your time. I certainly have not been as intentional as I should be about who gets my personal attention within my role as a pastor.

Chad,
    When someone seeks my services for counseling, they make contact with me by way of phone or email. So “from the gate” I have an idea of who I am working with. I ask them some questions which rule out many people as potential clients. These are questions related to insurance, their transportation (they must come to my office) and scheduling questions. Over the years I have met with many Victims of Crime clients and the retention rate is low for some. If they are motivated to work on things, counseling becomes a great experience for both the client and myself (the practitioner).
    I have some clients who have demonstrated great strides in counseling (high commitment level) but have let me know that they are unable to maintain the fee for service. At this point, I have often reduced my rate to in order for them to continue services.
    I schedule people on an on going basis according to what is available in my calendar. I do not believe my calendar reflects priority of certain clients over others.
    Thanks for your question. I hope this explains how I spend my time with clients (VOC Victims of Crime clients).

Kristy,

I love how you wove into your blog the importance of the number one, from our point of view and most importantly from Christ’s point of view. I think we often overlook the individual victim when we get wrapped up in headlines and statistics. Your post was a gentle reminder to be more focused on each individual, simply because for that one, it makes a difference.

Right now, I’m thinking of all of the suicide attempts we have had recently in our community … rapidly becoming a number to report. For me, I see each child and my heart is rent. Like those starfish on the seashore, I want to lift each one and help them back into the “sea” where they belong – to make a difference.

I see the work you do with those whom you counsel in a similar light. I love your compassionate heart.

Tonette,
    Thank you for your kind response.
    I want you to know that I have been praying for you and the people you are working with! My prayers will continue. It sounds like a battle between life and death.
    Stay encouraged my sister! Your example is tremendous!!
    Whoa….I just looked up ‘Little Ones’ in Bible Gateway. I need to go and read for context…check this out!!
    Dueteronomy 1:39 And the little ones that you said would be taken captive, your children who do not yet know good from bad-they will enter the land. I will give it to them and they will take possession of it.

Jesus, may it be so among those who Tonette works with!