The Three Dimensions of Church Ministry

Summary

Reading The Leadership Mystique is like drinking from a fire hose.   Every chapter is full of insights, interesting stories and good quotes.   The approach to the topic of leadership is rich, because it describes the complex dynamics that take place not only within the leader but also within the organization.  Thus, the book was meaningful in many levels, especially in its description of the charismatic and architectural roles of a leader.

Manfred Kets De Vries reminds us that inside every leader there is a complex web of motivations and emotions. These internal dynamics shape the way leaders relate to people as well as the way in which they lead the organization. Consequently, in order to lead with emotional intelligence, a leader must first learn to deal with these internal forces in a healthy manner. De Vries argues that in the era of globalization, emotional and cultural intelligence are essential skills for effective leadership, because they directly affect the two roles of a leader: casting vision (charismatic role) and organizational architecture (architectural role).

Reflection

My ministry journey has been one of discovery. I was initially driven by a desire to study God’s Word, so I could teach it and minister to people. As soon as I graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary, I started serving as the Lead Pastor of Grace Church of Richardson. In that initial stage my energy was invested in teaching, preaching, doing evangelism, discipleship, and counseling. The main focus of my ministry was shepherding.

Later, I discovered that church ministry had an additional dimension that required my attention: Vision casting.   At that stage of our ministry, we began to understand that we needed to pursue a multiethnic ministry. Pursuing this vision lead us to modify our ministry programs and our church identity.

Eventually, vision casting led me to discover a new dimension of ministry: organizational architecture. I realized that in order to pursue the vision, I had to address the organizational dimension of ministry in order to create alignment. This realization led us to change our name, leadership structure, and by laws.  Currently, we are still working on internal processes, legal compliance, and compensation philosophy.

After a decade of pastoral leadership, I have discovered that church ministry is three-dimensional: Shepherding, vision casting, and organizational design are all part of the puzzle. Many pastors of small congregations tend to focus on the ministry programs (doing) without paying much attention to vision (going) and organizational health (building). However, without a clear vision and the organizational structure to support it, the ministry of shepherding will eventually suffer. A ministry that is not three-dimensional will be shallow and unsustainable.

Right now, the larger part of my time is being invested in organizational design. This transition has not been easy because it has required that I change my schedule priorities. De Vries warns us that, “The stresses and strains of organizational life take their toll. If executives aren’t given (or they don’t take) the opportunity to renew themselves, they often begin to suffer from terminal monotony and burnout. Everyone has talent at 25 (as the saying goes); the trick is to have talent at midlife.” (92). Well, I am not 25 anymore, and I am officially a middle-aged man. Burnout and stress are part of the equation. De Vries gives me a sober reminder that the demands of ministry are plenty, and unless I take time to rest and enjoy life, the demands of ministry can eat me alive.

In addition to the warning, De Vries also reminds me that prioritizing these leadership dimensions is not only healthy, but it is the only path to a sustainable ministry. He observes, “The charismatic role has to be combined with the architectural role if leaders are to be effective. One without the other doesn’t cut it. All too many leaders have lofty ideas about where their organization should go but pay no attention to the details of the operation…. If they can carry out both roles well, there’s a good possibility that their organization will be a high-performance winner.” (211)

I pray that God will continue to guide us in this ministry journey. I look forward to the day in which the organizational framework of our ministry is completed. I hope that at that point the shepherding dimension of our ministry will have the best support it needs in order to grow deep and tall. In light of this journey, it is wise to remember that, “It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. Do no mistake activity for achievement.” (194).

Pablo Morales

Pablo Morales serves as the Lead Pastor of Ethnos Bible Church in Texas. He is currently pursuing the Doctor of Ministry degree in Leadership and Global Perspectives at Portland Seminary in order to understand what it takes to develop a healthy multiethnic church.

11 responses to “The Three Dimensions of Church Ministry”

Pablo,

With the several dimensions of ministry that you addressed, which is/are in your primary area of spiritual gifting?
    How do you work in areas that are not part of your gifting? Do you recruit support, or work more slowly, or get frustrated, or…?

• Pablo Morales says:

Marc, a friend told me once that my ability with analysis and synthesis where my strength. I see this playing an important role in my ability to teach and communicate, whether be in the pulpit, classroom, or counseling. These abilities also play a role in vision casting and organizational architecture. So, to some degree, these two fundamental skills help me work well in the three areas described in my blog. However, some personal assessments also show that my weakness is in implementation. Speed is not my strength. I prefer to get it right rather than get it done fast. Depending on the situation, this tendency could either be negative or positive.

Obviously, the time demands in all of these areas is more than what I can handle. When I started working in this church, I was the only pastor and only staff. As the ministry developed, it became clear to me that I needed to expand our staff. Right now I serve with three other staff members and three other Elders. We have also began to work with lawyers in the organizational design process.

I work best when I have a team of people who are driven and reliable. In that way I can operate more like an orchestra director. In the initial part of my ministry years, teaching the Bible was my favorite part. Now, I do equally enjoy the organizational design aspect of ministry; perhaps because I realize how a large part of the crisis experienced in churches is rooted in organizational dysfunctions rather than biblical teaching.

The major frustrations of this process is in the area of the architectural design. There are so many layers to consider! IRS regulations and liability issues must all be considered in the process. So, things always end up taking more time than what I would prefer.

Which one of the three areas do you enjoy the most?

Pablo

• Marc Andresen says:

Pablo,

The orchestra leader metaphor works for me; I get that imagery.

My favorite area, and where I think my strengths lie, is the shepherd teacher. I have said that if I could just teach and preach I may have never retired. It’s the running of an organization that made me weary.

I think I fully understand what organizational architecture should look like, but I don’t think I was ever able to get the church to move toward the ideal.

2. Jason Kennedy says:

Pablo,
    Well done. I think this is the hardest aspect for people who are not in ministry to grasp. Often times, I get asked by my nephew, “what do you do all day at work?” He is 18 and his concept of what I do is sit in the office and study all day long.
    Pastoring is difficult because of these dimensions, and I think you nailed it.

• Pablo Morales says:

Jason, I believe that being misunderstood (and undervalued) is part of the package of pastoral ministry. Even though this reality of church ministry can be discouraging, it helps me to keep in mind that I am accountable to the Shepherd of shepherds, and one day I will have to give an account to Him. Let’s keep up the good work!

Pablo

You said that your ministry has been one of “discoveries”. What are 2 or 3 main discoveries that you would call monumental that you could share?

After spending time together with you, I do believe you are on the right track with your “organizational architecture”. The future will be brighter for other pastors as you share what you are developing.

4. Kevin Norwood says:

Pablo,

I do believe you have discovered your triangle: church ministry is three-dimensional: Shepherding, vision casting, and organizational design.

How do you balance those three things? Where are you the most gifted? Where have you had to develop the most.

I have found that vision casting is an easier thing for me than developing the organisational systems. How have you managed those tensions?

Great post.

5. Well put Pablo. I like this concept of 3D ministry. I think we have many similar things going on with church life. Thanks for this!

6. Rose Anding says:

Thanks Pablo for a great summary of your learning experience and your ministry journey.

I like to comment on casting your vision…leadership is such a privilege because you are able to cast vision to others. As the communicator of the vision, do your very best to be strong, believable, and capable of moving people into owning the vision enthusiastically.

Your blogs are inspirations to me always !
    peace & Blessing Rose Maria

7. Garfield Harvey says:

Pablo,
    Nicely put together. You stated that “Manfred Kets De Vries reminds us that inside every leader there is a complex web of motivations and emotions.” I believe this to be true, which makes it critical in carefully selecting the right leaders in our organizations. One of the dangers in leading is that we believe we can simply replace poor leaders when they fail. However, we forget that if the negative internal emotions of that leader affect the people in our organization, we are forced to both replace the leaders and repair any leadership or relational damage created.

Garfield

8. I’m not sure the place you are getting your info, however great topic.
    I needs to spend some time studying more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent information I used to bee searching for this info for
    myy mission.