The odds be ever in your favor…

In the midst of the game of life it seems as though everything is out to get us. New studies telling us that what we thought was safe is actually no longer safe, we are constantly on our own to make the best decisions with the information at hand only to learn that we were wrong according to one group and genius according to another. Social media and the popular news make the mission of truth seeking even more challenging as public opinion has its way of skewing facts.

Research

In their book, How to Read Number”  Tom and David Chivers share how statistics can be helpful and harmful. It is important for the reader to be aware of any fallacy that might be present. In chapter 14 they write specifically about how studies released by sciences become a part of the larger whole, but when the media releases the story it can often do so with catchy headline that throws the previous research out, it removes the context. “…every time a journalist writes a news story about a new research paper- ‘fish fingers cause snoring groundbreaking new study reveals’- without putting it into the context of the existing research.” Chivers admit that this problem between presenting valid data and catchy headlines that sell is a challenge and becomes misleading to the reader.

Hunger Games

This might seem harmless in that its simple words and research reports and will quickly become old news. The issue is that these headlines, new stories, social media posts lead to real life decisions for real people. Decisions on what is healthy or not for someone who a serious illness, or how can someone improve their mental health, or loose weight. I grew up in a home plagued with the desire to loose weight. Fad dieting was common including the next best supplement backed by the latest “research”. Some of these things worked for a season, some where failures, some made sense and some felt like war on the mind and body. All of this left the dieter with less hope, eventually more weight, and even more detrimental, eating disorders. Had I known more about context and more about how the statistics and research worked, I may have avoided life long issues with food, and permanent damage to my body.

In college I had a political science professor who taught us so well we never knew what side of an issue he was really on. He pushed for us to explore all the sides, to listen to the opposite side with as much attention and desire to learn. It was in these practices that we would understand more fully the truth of the issue at hand. So as a reader of this blog and many other forms of communication what is a reader to do? Become a student, desire to learn, research to understand, and seek answers from all the angles as to discover the truth in the midst of the weeds. This is an essential element to our growing leadership, as we model to those we lead healthy ways to engage in data exploration and popular media. There are no fast approaches, shortcuts, to understanding the numbers or research, but there are lots of ways to explore and discover. As consumers of information and leaders in our homes, our work, our communities, the burden is now on us, may the odds be ever in your favor.

[1] Chivers, Tom, and David Chivers. 2022. How to Read Numbers. Weidenfeld & Nicolson.

Sara Taylor Lattimore

Sara is adopted, a wife of 17 years, a mother to 2 amazing children who give her opportunities to be a cheerleader, dress up like a princess, play soccer in the mud, and go on amazing adventures. With a Bachelors in political science and sociology, Sara worked for Child Protective Services as a legal caseworker before following a call into full-time ministry in 2008. During her time in full-time ministry Sara has served in medium to large size local congregations, as well as camp ministry. Sara has a passion for serving others, writing, and speaking. In 2016 Sara worked on a joint publication as a Curriculum Writer. Sara wrote the Intergenerational/Family & Day Camp Resources in “Beyond Belief” for InsideOut Christian Resources for Outdoor Ministry- Published by Chalice Press- Release Date 2018. Sara is looking forward to writing her own book next. Sara completed her MDiv from Iliff School of Theology in 2019 and is currently working on her Doctorate in Leadership and Global Perspectives from Portland Seminary. Sara currently serves as Lead Pastor of a local church in Southwestern Montana. She has previously served in ministry positions leading congregations in engaging globally in healthy mission and outreach partnerships, living life missionally, building innovative programs, and building relationships as the Director of Missions and Outreach, College Ministry Coordinator, Family and Children’s Ministry Director, Director of Christian Education, and Camp Program Director. She is an innovator and visionary who looks to find empowering and dignity restoring ways of building communities of belonging, while listening and partnering with others to find ways to also address the needs of the communities she is planted in. Beyond her work, Sara dreams of growing her family through adoption, kayaking with Orcas, going on pilgrimage on the Camino De Santiago in Spain, traveling in an RV across North America, and traveling internationally.

10 responses to “The odds be ever in your favor…”

1. mm Daron George says:

Sara,

I loved the tie into Hunger Games. As someone who used to struggle with diets and an unhealthy relationship with food, I could relate when you said “All of this left the dieter with less hope, eventually more weight, and even more detrimental, eating disorders. Had I known more about context and more about how the statistics and research worked, I may have avoided life long issues with food…”

In your post, you said, “Become a student, desire to learn, research to understand, and seek answers from all the angles as to discover the truth in the midst of the weeds.” As a student and a leader with a desire to learn do you have a go to source when you are trying to make your way through the “weeds”, especially when leading others?

• Daron,

Thank you for your comments and your question. I don’t have one go to source. I think that’s the key, I go to many sources. I often start with the original source that the topic or issue is around and then I look at sources from both sides, pro and con. I try to then sift through what is biased and where there might be truth. For me it is key to look beyond the 30sec video clip and find the depth of the point and then hopefully find the middle ground or the truth.

Sara
    You state this about yourself in- About the Author:
    “She is an innovator and visionary who looks to find empowering and dignity restoring ways of building communities of belonging, while listening and partnering with others to find ways to also address the needs of the communities she is planted in.”
    I am curious if you have been able to share what you have learned about the ups and downs in dieting in your ministry contexts?
    Thank you for sharing personally and vulnerably. Making choices about food is so DAILY…I know this struggle too, depending on the day!
    I look forward to hearing about your adventures in Montana!!

• Kristy,

Thank you for your comments and your question. No I haven’t shared much about this journey in my ministry context. But, I have seen these things play out for members of my family especially my mother who was raised in the 50’s and has seen so many trends for dieting in her lifetime that now as a 75 year old she and her friends still talk about going on a diet. I am now stepping in as more of a caretaker and having to watch her eating habits to make sure she actually gets enough calories in a day. It’s a whole new journey.

Sara, thank you for vulnerably sharing your journey with us. I have also struggled endlessly with weight issues, not at all helped by medical issues. In your conclusion, you mentioned your political science professor who would argue both sides equally well. It reminds me of the first paper I wrote in college. I was taking a religious studies class and wrote a paper on whether Jesus actually claimed to be the Messiah. At the last minute, I changed my thesis to argue that Jesus never made this claim. I wanted to challenge myself. Being able to argue or discuss from a perspective that is not your own is such a valuable skill to have. When we can see both sides of an issue, we are better able to understand others. I wonder how many people ever take the time to do this. How might we encourage others to see beyond their own perspective or to look at statistics with a more discerning eye?

• Becca, Thank you for sharing your story. Yes, I agree that challenging ourselves to see the other side is vital. This same professor often but us in groups and assigned projects to do this very thing. It as revealing and har, and so important for my understanding of politics and learning about engaging with information. I think you named the answer to your question, we challenge others to walk in the shoes of the other side, we read, watch, listen to the other side with an openness to hear so that in the middle our opinions can be formed rather than from a polarized side.

Sara, I so enjoyed your blog, especially your quote: “This is an essential element to our growing leadership, as we model to those we lead healthy ways to engage in data exploration and popular media. There are no fast approaches, shortcuts, to understanding the numbers or research, but there are lots of ways to explore and discover. As consumers of information and leaders in our homes, our work, our communities, the burden is now on us, may the odds be ever in your favor.” I have been thinking of ways to better research the numbers we find in the media. What are some of the ways you have found to get to the facts regarding the stories we hear and read? Also, do you have any advice on how to encourage youth to get to the facts and check their sources? Thanks, Sara!

• Jenny, Engaging youth is aways a challenge especially when they have all the answers they need in 30second video clips on social media. I think the key is to teach the value of research and to find fun ways to research that prove beneficial to the individual thus leading to positive reinforcement of the habit. It is a long process and not an easy one. We are in a generation that needs to break the cycles of polarization and as we know from previous generations breaking cycles is hard work

Hi Sara,

I love what you shared about your professor and not knowing what side of a political opinion he was on! We need more leaders in this world who instead of encouraging herding and tribalism, encourage honest intellectual engagement and critical thinking.

• David,
      I couldn’t agree with you more. We need leaders who are willing to do hard work and who are willing to be wrong or even have a change of heart without feeling like a failure for doing so. We need a generation of humble learners and critical thinkers. I know now which side of things this professor stands, thanks to social media, but back then I wouldn’t have dared to guess.