The Mother Archetype

It was a blistery, cold Sunday afternoon.  I was resting at home with my youngest daughter, Abigail, an infant at the time, while my husband took our other two daughters sledding with some friends of ours.  I was awakened from an afternoon nap when I heard someone yelling from our answering machine, “Cat, I’m on my way to the emergency room. Pick up the phone.”  I bolted to the phone.  My husband was on his way to the nearby hospital.  Our oldest daughter, Rebecca,  a first grader at the time, slammed head-first into a permanent grill, that extended out of a snowbank. As Steve anxiously conveyed the scene to me on the phone, he said that blood was everywhere and Rebecca was surprisingly calm.  My system one thinking, or bottom-up processing, took over and I immediately asked a friend to come stay with Abigail so that I could rush to the emergency room. [1]  

When I arrived, I followed the trail of blood right to her room.  As I entered, my eye immediately caught sight of the two inch wide hole in my daughter’s head, just above her left eye.  Characteristics of the Mother Archetype, as described in the book, Spell Bound, by  Daniel Lieberman, took over. [2]  I asked the doctor what I was looking at and he told me, her scull.  I felt faint and sat down for a moment.  Internally, I was shaking and somewhat nauseous.   Trying to keep calm, love her, and provide comfort for her was my mission right at that moment.  The sight of my daughter’s blood all over her winter coat, the floor, my husband, and her sweet face was inferring with my ability to be 100% present with her at that moment. All in an instant, I uttered an urgent, yet simple prayer, spoken under my breath, and the Lord gave me strength to keep talking with her, laughing with her and holding her hand as she was being treated.  More on this ER visit later. . .

According to psychiatrist and author of the book, Spell Bound: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind, Dr. Daniel Z. Lieberman states, “the human brain is more than a rational thinking machine.  It has darker corners that give rise to the irrational – things outside conscious control.” [3]   The author explains that the while we can’t see it, the unconscious remarkably impacts our lives.  So much of the magic that the author refers to, as displayed by the unconscious mind, makes its appearance in the mysterious ways I respond to events in my life, especially in moments when the my mother archetype is on display.  Lieberman notes complexities of the human mind admonishing that most of my experiences, including my moods and preferences, essentially the essence of who I am, originates from a more elusive aspect of my mind: the unconscious.  The author examines how the unconscious works, integrating an understanding of Carl Jung’s work for the unification of conscious and unconscious mind to form one complete self. [4]  Lieberman describes this as becoming transcendent, achieving unity between the ego and the unconscious. [5]  My experiences, surrounding that snowy Sunday afternoon in January, are forever cemented in my mind.  I reflect and respond in worship at how God healed, protected, provided and even recycled that moment for His glory. 

Back to the ER. . . 

Surprisingly, Rebecca, on the table, was conversing with the emergency room surgeon, did not shed a tear and while getting stitched up, asked the doctor of Asian ethnicity, “Do you like Chinese food?”  Everyone in the room laughed, even the surgeon.  After the incident, we questioned Rebecca on why she didn’t cry during the ordeal?  I was puzzled and wondered if maybe she had a concussion.  No concussion, the doctor reassured us.  Rebecca very frankly told us, “I knew the Lord was with me.”  It was one of those moments when Jesus’ words from Luke 18:16-17 highlighted the beauty of a child’s faith and an area in which my faith had some developing to do.  

“But Jesus called for the little ones, saying, “Allow the children to come to Me, and do not forbid them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” Luke 18:19-17 NASB

Lieberman quotes Kahnemann from his book, Thinking Fast and Slow,  “The confidence that individuals have in their beliefs depends mostly on the quality of the story they can tell about what they see.” [6]  I’m thankful that in that moment God’s presence was what she saw and articulated.  We were incredibly grateful for how the Lord healed the wound over time with no lasting damages, except a long scar near her hairline.  It has been a mark that has given her many opportunities to share of the Lord’s goodness with those who inquire about her scar. In December, Rebecca will give birth to her first child, a baby boy (my first grand baby).  She will have many experiences that develop the mother archetype within her.  I can’t wait!!!  

P.S.  My interest is peeked into his next book, the follow-up to The Molecule of More coming in 2024. [7]

[1] Daniel Lieberman, Spell Bound:  Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind (Dallas, TX:  BenBella Books, 2022), 66.

[6] Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2013), 77.

[7]  https://www.danielzlieberman.com/

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

6 responses to “The Mother Archetype”

Hi, Cathy,
    Thank you for sharing insights on the reading through a story lense. Kanemahn’s quote resonates: “The confidence that individuals have in their beliefs depends mostly on the quality of the story they can tell about what they see.” Since you went through Dr. Alicia Britt Chole’s mentoring year, I wonder if you remember the layering of our life story. Taking time to allow the Holy Spirit to reframe past stories is a powerful tool in unlocking deeper unconscious belief patterns that may not serve us well.

Wow. Your story made me weep. As parents we go into action when our kids are hurting, and even the story of you doing so brought up so many memories and realities for me.

“Trying to keep calm, love her, and provide comfort for her was my mission right at that moment.” I get that part of the mother archetype… and I’m not even a mother!

If only we could all remember in the moment, like Rebecca did, that “the Lord is with me”.

I think your insights from Lieberman’s book were great. Often we read stuff that would be easy to disagree with but miss the deeper point and take aways. I feel you did a really good job with unpacking some things that were helpful for me to hear about how the book impacted you.

This is such a powerful and emotive post Cathy. I read it like a novel – sorry, I know it involves YOUR child!

Your writings brought to mind something MY mom used to always say (she has since passed away)…”I have eyes behind my head.”

When we were younger my brother and I would try to catch a glimpse of her backside eyes, to no avail. Oddly, she always KNEW when we were doing something bad, sneaking around, etc so we assumed her claim must be TRUE. Obviously, we grew older and we now know it’s not true…

OR IS IT!?!

Lieberman may have reinforced the spellbound notion that Mom DID have eyes behind her head. Call it the unconscious. Call it magic.

I just call it “Mom.”

Super Story! Your daughter is a champ.

In many of the cohorts blogposts (all written very well) I sensed the age old battle/philosophy between the Ying and Yang, the conscious and unconscious portions of our psyche wrestling for control.

One class member wrote, “Again, I wonder if religion is a way for us to not completely deny our dark side but also to not completely give into it? Is this how we become our true self?”

A perpetual swirl of light fighting dark? This striving for balance appears to be where many of our peers have settled on in their blogposts describing Lieberman’s Spellbound: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind . I suppose harnessing the dark side to empower the good?

For my devotion this morning I came across this. ““All the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen…” (2 Corinthians 1:20). Our “Yes” must be born of obedience; when by obedience we ratify a promise of God by saying, “Amen,” or, “So be it.” That promise becomes ours.

Ahh…Transcendence!

Hi Cathy,
    Your story sparked one of mine own with my daughter, Rachel. Her words after the ordeal were exactly the same, “I knew the Lord was with me.” She was only three years old! I am amazed how God shows up and its the little ones that sense him so clearly. I was talking to a mom today and she was telling me how her image of God was formed positively in childhood. I asked her if she knew how her children imaged or experienced God. She became very excited to ask them. I also wonder how the Mother archetype informs our image of God?