The Big Dipper

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
JA
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

The truth is, I hate ‘the dip’ and when it comes I too frequently want to quit. When I was 12, I vividly remember pitching in a baseball game. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the strike zone. I walked batter after batter and eventually loaded the bases. I called the coach over and told him that my arm was hurting and that I couldn’t finish the inning. Someone else would have to come and clean up my mess. Even today, I look back and I’m a bit ashamed that I didn’t at least try to finish.

The reality is, I love to start something, but I don’t like having to work through ‘the dip.’ If I were left to my own devices, I’d start way more things than I’d ever be able to finish. Like the guitar classes I took while in college. It was fun at first, but then it got hard and required too much work. When the dip came, I put the guitar down and I’ve rarely picked it up since. Looing back, I wish I had persevered through that dip and learned to play the guitar well.

Fortunately for me, there’s a sense of calling in many of the things in my life.  More than anything, that’s what helps me manage ‘the dip.’ One does not easily run from God! Now, when I daydream of quitting something, I remember my calling and how God has been faithful in previous ‘dips’ and I try to press on. But, left to my own devices I’m sure I’d quit again.

Now, another challenge I have is letting myself quit something when it’s the right thing to do!

Some Questions:

How do you know when you should quit something?

What keeps you from quitting something you shouldn’t?

gfesadmin