The “Aha” Moments

This week’s readings and video on threshold concepts were enlightening for me. As I read, it brought to my remembrance many instances of situations in my own learning where I have irreversibly crossed the threshold, never to unlearn or un-see a thing again.

I thought particularly of learning to read and write using the Korean alphabet while serving as a two year missionary in South Korea right out of college. There are 24 letters in the Korean alphabet. I remember writing them all out on an index card shortly after arriving in the country. I would carry that card around with me everywhere I went, pulling it out when I had even a minute to spare, and reading words around me. There came a time, several months into my time in Korea, when I no longer needed the card. I knew the letters. I knew how to read the words. I didn’t always know what I was reading, but I could read. I had crossed an irreversible threshold in my learning. Had it been troublesome? Oh yes! Was it transformative? Certainly.

Another example for me of threshold learning was driving a car. I learned in a standard pick up truck when I was twelve years old. My dad would have me drive for him on the interstate. He would do the shifting, and tell me when to “clutch it”. Eventually, I was responsible for all of it, shifting and clutching both, even in town. I would be so terribly nervous at stop signs. My younger siblings were usually riding in the back of the truck. It would jerk until I could get it going properly. My sister would inevitably scream, “We’re gonna DIE! We’re all gonna DIE!” Thankfully, I eventually crossed that driving threshold and learned to master a standard transmission as well. This too has been irreversible.

As an educator, I am able to view threshold concepts from the other side of the fence so to speak. I witness my students struggling with math concepts that come so naturally to me, even straight forward things like basic multiplication. They may get lost in the steps, or where to line up the digits. They may not understand why they need to place a zero as a place holder, and so on. As a teacher, I utilize every strategy I know to help them overcome barriers to their learning. I desire to see each one of them successful. I long for them to have those “Aha!” moments where they too get it. The light bulb turns on for them. They don’t need the cue cards anymore either. They are proudly able to do it on their own. I believe this is what teaching is all about.

Tonette Kellett

Missionary, teacher, Bible student, traveler ... Having lived in Kenya and Korea, I now live in Mississippi and work with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

13 responses to “The “Aha” Moments”

1. Kristy Newport says:

Tonette,
    Thank you for sharing about learning the Korean language. This sounds like a huge undertaking. You served two years as a missionary. I’m curious what your thoughts are on threshold concepts when it comes to tackling new learning. You used the Korean language for two years. Is this a language you continue to put to use? If you were given the opportunity to learn a new language and use it for two years, would you do this again?
    I admire your missionary heart!

2. Tonette Kellett says:

Kristy,

I do not use Korean any longer, no. But for those 2 years it was essential to life itself. So for that reason, yes, I would certainly do it all over again. To this day, I can still read it. Do I know what I am reading?? Not very often! Haha!

3. mm David Beavis says:

Hi Tonnett,
    Knowing that you are a teacher increased my eagerness to read your reflection on threshold concepts. What are some of the strategies you use to help students cross the barriers of threshold concepts and have the longed for “aha” moments? And how do you personally empathize with students who don’t understand certain threshold concepts – concepts in which you are incredibly familiar and cannot remember a time in which you did not know these concepts?

• Tonette Kellett says:

David,

I can remember as a child there were many things that I struggled to learn. Fractions were just one example. The rules of grammar are another. When I finally did make sense of these things, a light bulb turned on in my head that never went off again. I even remember the exact day I finally broke through the English grammar threshold! It was so much “blood, sweat and tears” before, and then it became a breeze.

I try to keep these things in mind when my students struggle with concepts. It’s not everything with which they will struggle. There will be successes along the way to encourage them. But there will also be barriers to challenge and defeat them.

When challenges arise, I draw from my own time of defeat, and pull out strategies to help them overcome.

4. Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi Tonette,
    I so enjoyed reading your blog post and appreciated the way you wove threshold concepts into your professional and personal, everyday experiences. That’s pretty amazing that you started learning to drive a stick at 12-years old!

It seems you have retained a special empathy for your students in their learning process, particularly as they strive to grasp those concepts so necessary to understand and progress in their math class. Was there anything in our reading this week that was new and applicable to your work setting that you will be applying in your teaching, moving forward?

Thanks again for your post! I so appreciate how you bring your practical experience into the new concepts we are learning.

• Tonette Kellett says:

Jenny,

As a teacher, I had studied barriers to learning before, but I had never heard of “threshold concepts” as a whole. I think it’s the same thing. This week’s reading really broke it down for me in a way that has never been done before into specific characteristics that can be identified. I liked that a lot.

I think in teaching, the fact that threshold concepts are integrative, in that they bring together different aspects of learning that appeared unrelated, is significant for me. It’s part of helping to make those connections for the students, whether in math, or across curriculum, or in life in general.

Thank you for your question!

5. Michael O'Neill says:

Great examples of threshold concepts and overcoming barriers. I especially enjoyed the “aha moments” and strategy you put behind your teaching. I love those kind of moments in my children and myself. My favorite instances are usually Bible related. When something connects the old and new testament, or I’m able to see a type or prophecy that was hidden from me before. I usually call my mother who also enjoys connecting the dots and a good “aha moment.” Thank you for posting. I enjoyed it.

6. Wow – learning the Korean alphabet is definitely a threshold concept! Do you think being immersed in that culture made it easier for you to cross the threshold? I think the distractions of our 24/7 culture often make it more difficult for us to devote the time and energy it takes to break through learning thresholds. Perhaps your immersion in Korea is a good example of thinking about ways to “immerse” our learning to break through those cognitive barriers. Do you ever do immersion type activities with your students to help them grasp difficult concepts?

7. Tonette,
    I loved reading your stories that must have been fun learning to drive with your dad and siblings. Driving can be terrifying at the beginning yet very exciting once you get a hang of it. As an educator, your students must be very blessed to have an empathic teacher having gone through those challenges in South Korea and Kenya as a Missionary. Do you also find cases where you might need to help students unlearn and relearn some concepts? Since you’ve taught for some time and in different parts of the world you might have found a need to change, discard outdated beliefs and do some of your restructurings.

8. mm Shonell Dillon says:

I use to sit through many IEP meetings wishing that students would one day reach an aha moment. I believe that what’s an aha moment for some though may not be the aha moment for others. I think in education the aha moments are to come to teachers and upper level staff as much as the student. I am glad that you are actively assisting in the fight toward the aha.

9. Alana Hayes says:

What is something that you recently made a threshold concept for yourself?

I am also dying to know if you kept the knowledge of the Korean Alphabet?