The 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month

“Blind Certainty – a close-mindedness that amounts to an imprisonment so total that the prisoner doesn’t even know he’s locked up.” David Foster Wallace, 2005 Kenyon College Commencement Speech.

I have tried ‘so hard’ to figure out how to think through some things in my life that I know I have not had the mental tools to work out. For instance, when I was in the 11thgrade I struggled to understand significant social shifts that had taken place over the preceding summer months. I did not know how to adjust easily and there was some push back on my part for lack of understanding. Things had changed and they were not going to revert back to the way it was. Mental models for such times of change and transitions as these that affect our well-being can be at least life-sustaining. After all, how long can we last in a divided state? Something has to give.

The Great Mental Models, Shane Parrish’s book on general thinking concepts, addresses nine different methods for encountering problems and facing opportunities with confidence. Application is essential. For the reader, the Great Mental Models with an open perspective on the way in which decisions have been made (even the menial and more importantly the life-changing ones) can be productive. It is unlikely that a vast change in natural thinking patterns and behaviours can occur by a simple reading however, in the spotlight acknowledgement of less than adequate methods of thinking, identifying these, slowing to evaluate and choosing a better pathway a trend of better outcomes may ensue. Perhaps over time, by repetition and practise, a deeper change can occur that can only almost adjust our natural responses entirely.

First Principles

Usually, thinking and responding happens very quickly. That is to say, thinking happens without much thought and responding happens like a knee-jerk to the stimulus of a percussion hammer. So, how do we know to slow down to think well in order to understand best response when a weighty question arises? Perhaps this is a practise to begin with: identifying questions that require more thought, strategic care and attention, before responding. A First Principle (also referred to an axiom or postulate) is a true beginning point from which further reasoning can be deduced. Parrish writes that, ‘First principles do not provide a checklist of things that will always be true; our knowledge of first principles changes as we understand more. They are the foundation on which we must build, and thus will be different in every situation, but the more we know, the more we can challenge.’ [1]. Socratic thinking helps significantly in the process of identifying First Principles.

Socratic thinking or questioning is intended to discover answers, pertaining ultimately to the truth, by asking questions. When truth is shaken, leaving an individual off-balance, questions are needed to find solid foundations once again. This process takes time. Focus is needed as foundational truths, the essential starting point for best (subject-specific) decision-making, change over time as challenges beckon and further knowledge is acquired. First Principles and Socratic Thinking gives a good, safe framework for Parrish exclaims that, “Socratic questioning stops you from relying on your gut and limits strong emotional responses. This process helps you build something that lasts.” [1]. And, this process takes some time as something stronger is built than what could have been by a quick ‘gut response’. Slowing down for deeper, strategic (systematic) analysis of information for the difference between knowledge and ignorance with regards to a particular question/uncertainty to be identified.

Monday, November 11this Remembrance Day in Canada. This is a day, by tradition, that we remember those who have fought for our country and those who have died in wars, all for our freedom. During World War 1, a poem called ‘In Flanders Fields’ was written by Canadian doctor, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae following the death of a close friend. In this poem poppies are depicted as symbols of remembrance; fields of poppies for the fields of fallen soldiers. Wearing red poppies have become a symbol of our commemoration and our humble thankfulness in Canada for those who have fought and died, a token of remembrance for soldiers of all countries in any war.

Monday is a statutory holiday observing those who have fought and died in wars in Canada, throughout the Commonwealth and in other (not all) countries around the world. Monday morning, there will be Remembrance Day services at war cenotaphs around the city I live in. Veterans and current service members will be dressed in their number ones, typical Canadian Armed Forces regalia to resemble their place and position of service. Civilians will be there in remembrance and all will be wearing a red poppy. Tomorrow, if I wasn’t working so that others could attend these services, I would be there too although this year the poppy I’m wearing is not red, it is white. Following World War 1, the white poppy has been a symbol for peace and represents not only all the soldiers in countries around the world who fought and died but also, the civilians who died as a result of the wars being fought on their lands, in their neighborhoods, destroying their cities. The white poppy represents living casualties of war, those who for generations suffer the loss of destroyed homes and livelihoods and of course the ever-absence of their family members who fought and died for their country. The white poppy is a protest for conflict to be solved peacefully.

There was a time in my life that I would have looked down on those who wore white poppies. Ignorant to the message and without care for ignorance, I would have dismissed the individual as being irreverent. Perhaps this was an example of blind certainty, placing judgement without knowing. Open to the idea and understanding of the message, first principle in this regard has been challenged and my mind has opened to the bigger picture. Now, I’m the messenger.

‘The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, for, “Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.’ 1 Corinthians 2:15-16.

I’m interested in learning more about what Paul means by this. I have a feeling that such learning has something to do with life, love and commitment.

[1] Parrish, Shane. The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts . Latticework Publishing Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Chris Pollock

Dad of Molly Polly Pastor at the Mustard Seed Street Church Trail Runner

One response to “The 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month”

Chris,
    Thanks for the extra blog and letting us know your thoughts. As I contemplate Veterans Day in the US and the great cost of freedom I find myself looking at Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 2 through a bit of a different lens. Looking back is often 20/20 vision as we weight life through history the results of our choices. We see things much clearer looking back then we did at the time. The power of having the mind of Christ is we should have insights into life from a eternal perspective not just a play by play existence. Paul in Romans tells us to renew our minds through the word so it will change the way we think. I often find myself asking “Am I thinking according to the Bible or am I thinking through a worldly philosophy? How should my understanding of scripture alter my perception of world views?