Thanks Brain, for ALL your work!

For the longest time, I thought multi-tasking was a great way to get lots done in a short time period. I am not sure, exactly, what changed my mind. It might have been the stacks of papers that were left unfiled on my desk or the mountain of work I had yet to do. Regardless of the cause, years ago, I came up with a phrase to help me consider what I was really doing. The phrase was: There is no such thing as multi-tasking, only serial mono-tasking. I realized that I wasn’t getting everything done as efficiently as I could and that by focusing on one thing at a time and completing each task, I could check things off my list and move on. I actually get more done in less time.  It seemed when I was trying to multitask, I was jumping from one activity to the next and never really giving 100% to any one thing. I implicitly knew something had to change. I did not know what to call it. Your Brain at Work by David Rock changed that.[1]

Rock explained that his purpose was to give language to the functions of the brain so that individuals have more power to make decisions based on mindfulness rather that impulse or reactions.[2] His focus was primarily on work performance and interactions, yet concepts could also be useful in personal life.  The author discussed many of the functions of the different sections of the human brain from the prefrontal cortex which involves the conscious interaction with the world that needs everything in order for it to function well[3] to the anterior Cingular Cortex which notices errors,[4] to the Ventrolateral Prefrontal Cortex which inhibits many responses and allows us to limit distractions.[5] and how all of this impacts our daily lives.  Rock used action words in his examples such as:

She sees that she is stuck.

She quiets her mind.

She hears a subtle thought.

She tries to listen.[6]

Throughout the book, Rock gives other strategies such as how to minimize distractions or stay calm under pressure by labeling emotions, reappraisal of the situation, changing an interpretation of events, or managing expectations.[7] Yet the part that I think was most impactful for me was his discussion on the interconnectedness of primary rewards and threats that the brain perceives and how it reacts to them. By utilizing mindfulness techniques rather than reacting to situations Rock demonstrated how outcomes could be different. Specifically, he outlined five things someone could do to help move a situation away from being a threatening encounter and  toward a rewarding one. Using the word SCARF, the techniques included:

1. Status: Recognizing the importance of status for self and others and being intentional about not diminishing another’s position can help them be open to consider alternatives.
  2. Certainty: Being clear with expectations.
  3. Autonomy: Sharing decision making when possible.
  4. Relatedness: Connecting on a human level
  5. Fairness: Being consistent with each person and respectful. [8]

Rock brought these techniques to life through his character, Paul working on a project that was not going well. The examples also brought to mind two of the three kinds of questions that Paul and Elder wrote about in Critical Thinking. In the first example, Paul was angry, directive and went right to what he thought was a solution. It was a one system approach.  In the second example, Paul used more of multi-system questioning where Eric was given an opportunity to think through the problem and use reasoning within a conflicting situation.[9]   By showing two different examples of how to deal with the situation and the person working on it, meant the difference between salvaging a project or losing it and a lot of money. Yet more importantly, had this been a real-life example, I would suspect that Paul and Eric would have been able to work successfully together on other projects.[10]

About a year ago I read  The Coddling of the American Mind by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt. It was a difficult read because it confronted concepts that had begun permeating college campuses and other institutions, words were perceived to be a source of danger.[11] I obviously came with a preconceived idea taught by my mother that unlike sticks and stone, words were not deadly. The book puzzled me. I thought it was unusual that students were interpreting things that were being said at some colleges not for the intended use to promote discussion and nurture critical thinking but as dangerous.[12] Yet, reading Rock, made some sense of it. If our brains tell us we need to interpret what is safe, then words matter. If our status is in place? Words can question that. If we need certainty, that could be missing, as well as relating to others through connections and sensing that others will be just. All of that can feel as though there is no certainty in the future, it can feel dangerous. Words are often the source of uncertainty through misguided feedback and over reaction to life events.  The SCARF that our brains use to measure threat or reward could be sensing messages that make them feel not included or important. Essentially, I think it highlights that how we understand our brains in relation to words and activities has a farther-reaching impact than simply on work.

[1] David Rock, Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long (New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers, 2020), 56.

[2] Rock, 56-57.

[3] Rock, 6-7.

[4] Rock, 51.

[5] Rock, 56.

[6] Rock, 87.

[7] Rock, 151.

[8] Rock, 199.

[9] Richard Paul and Linda Elder, The Miniature Guide To CRITICAL THINKING: Concepts and Tools (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc., 2020), 34.

[10] Rock, 215.

[11] Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt, The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting up a Generation for Failure (Washington, DC: Penguin Random House, 2018), 4.

[12] Lukianoff and Haidt, 27.

Diane Tuttle

13 responses to “Thanks Brain, for ALL your work!”

1. mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Diane,

As a professional running and managing a non-profit organization – from those perspectives, how does being consistent and respectful in terms of fairness challenges you in building trust and resolving conflicts?

2. Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Shela, Interesting question. I think consistency and fairness are qualities that have proven themselves to be so valuable in my work in so many instances that holding fast to them is easier that neglecting them.

3. Daren Jaime says:

Hi Diane! I enjoyed reading your post as you gave voice to multi tasking and mono tasking. I am wondering with all that is on your plate what methods have you utilized in minimizing your distractions?

• Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Daren, Your question is timely. The book gave me some ideas. The one I landed on was limiting distractions. I decided to give myself time blocks to work on school things. When the block of time was over, I would take a break, walk around, get some fresh air and do whatever else was needed for the day. I would run this routine several times a day, usually about 1.5-2 hours at a time. I am hoping it continues and that the more I practice it the better I will be at it. I did have to consciously tell myself not to get up and do something else before the block of time was over. Thanks for asking.

4. Jeff Styer says:

Diane,
    Would you recommend Coddling of the American Mind. I’ve been thinking it would be a good book to read to gain some perspective as I work on a college campus?
    I too have a cluttered office, but have plans to organize it more efficiently once the semester is over. I too lose myself in multitasking. I find myself getting on my email to send someone an email, only to be distracted by one sitting in my inbox and 20 minutes later I realize I never sent the message I intended to send. I am trying not to check my emails first thing in the morning, but to focus first on the most important tasks of the day while my brain has food.
    Are you able to use the SCARF idea outside of your work? Do you know of situations that you would like to do over having read the book?

• Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Jeff, Interesting question because I initially related the reading to work. But there is another factor. I think of my daughters. Giving them certainty of our love I think was one of the valuable things we gave them. And, while I did not see Rock include a faith based component in his writing, our hope was that in experiencing the certainty of our love they would have an understanding of the certainty of God’s love. That was very intentional when they were growing up.

• Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Jeff, Forgot to let you know, I would read Coddling again. It was a while ago and I was in a book club with other exects. In some ways the book is disturbing, in one section it talked about the purpose of the university it to facilitate social change. Yet, historically, education was to stretch the mind and think critically. Not sure how we move away from thinking critical thinking is dangerous. I don’t think it is as simple as the authors suggest of having institutions adopt a statement that would allow for debate and deliberation of many differing ideas (p. 255).

5. Debbie Owen says:

Diane, thank you for this thorough review. It’s interesting that we’re taught “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me” because it is so decidedly UNTRUE.

We are told over and over again in the Bible about the power of words to create. From God’s Word creating everything to the Word being incarnated and all the words between and since. Words create. I believe the power of our words is one of the ways in which we are created as God’s image-bearers.

What are some places – or one place – in your life where you may be able to incorporate the SCARF model in the future?

• Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Debbie, Yes, while I was reading the Status element was a different way to think about interactions with my employees. I found it interesting that Rock says that even a perceived drop in status can take a lilfe of its own and last for years (p. 192). After reading that I want to be intentional to continually uplift the people working with me. Not in a corny or fake way but genuinely give them even more opportunities to shine and feel recognized in their role with our organization.

6. mm Chris Blackman says:

Hi Diane,
    I agree with and appreciate your thoughts on the importance of using mindfulness techniques rather than simply reacting. We can consciously choose more positive responses by being more present and aware.
    How have you personally experienced the benefits of mindfulness in your life?

• Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Chris, This may seem like a very simplistic answer but when I am mindful of what is going on in a situation I have a better sense of how the situation could be impacting others. Checking that out does two things. It says to them I care about them and as important, gives them an opportunity to clarify if I am hearing things wrong.

7. Nancy Blackman says:

Hi Diane,
    Thanks for sharing. With all the things you juggle, what are some ways that you can utilize mindfulness as you clear your desk? In other words, can it become a mindfulness meditation practice?

8. Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Nancy, your question is interesting because I actually really enjoy clearing it, especially after everyone has left for the day and I can quietly go through things. I don’t know that it is meditative but it is quieting.