Thank God for Evolution

Tennessee, my home state, was the setting for the famous “Scopes Monkey Trial” where the theory of evolution was debated as whether this subject was appropriate to be taught to students in school.  Many in the early 1900’s believed this theory directly contradicted the creation story found in Scripture. Since then, more Abrahamic faiths have accepted the idea that evolution does not have to negate intelligent design or diminish God, which is why I appreciated Edwin Friedman, a Jewish Rabbi’s, correlation of evolutionary principles throughout his book, Failure of Nerve, with what organizations and individuals need for healthy development.

Everything Evolves.

Businesses. Churches. Traditions. Relationships. Technology. Medicine. Seeds. Education. Humans. Fashion. Music. Policies. Laws. Our NPO’s.

For me, Evolution makes sense of a lot of what we experience and observe in the world. Things struggle, modify, adapt, and overcome or they eventually cease to exist.

Adaptation is one of the fundamental ideas in evolution. What first hit me in Edwin’s book was his discussion on “adaptation to strength rather than weakness”. [1] How many times have I adapted to or seen organizations adapt to immaturity? How much energy has been spent on dysfunction rather than vision casting and progress? Too much.

Friedman claims, “the ‘squeaky wheel’ perpetually gets the ‘grease’.” The most anxious, immature, and even dysfunctional people are usually the loudest and get attended to the most in families or organizations for a variety of reasons. When have I been that weakest link due to a lack of development in an area? Yikes. Edwin discourages catering or getting too entangled with people at the expense of excellence or progress in a family or group.

The football coach example illustrated this point well. If a quarter back throws to hard or fast so that some of his receivers can’t hold on to the ball, do you tell the QB to adapt to the players weaknesses or do have the team adjust themselves to the strength of the Quarterback? Same for the punter and running back? Adapting to weakness and dysfunction will most certainly lead to regression for the team.  So naturally this means that some of the team would need to adapt and develop strength for the sake of the team’s overall integrity and success.

This can seem harsh. Not for Friedman who says, “The great myth here is that feeling deeply for others increases their ability to mature and survive…The focus on empathy rather than responsibility has contributed to a major misorientation in our society about the nature of what is toxic to life itself and, therefore, the factors that go into survival.” [2]

I don’t believe Friedman is encouraging his readers to become cold, callused, and heartless monsters. In fact, he lists the spiritual and societal benefits of feeling, identifying, responding to, and caring for others. Taking personal responsibility and developing ourselves is at the heart of what Friedman is getting at and it is the most caring thing we can do for our families, the organizations we belong to and society at large. When we get healthier it inevitably and positively impacts others.

Which leads to the subject of growth and development, also referred to as evolution.

Personal and organizational growth comes at a cost. There is really no way around that fact. Pain, discomfort, letting go, and struggle will be involved when getting better. This is part of the universal principal Joseph Campbell captures in the hero’s journey when we are summoned to cross a threshold for an adventure that will ultimately evolve us for a higher purpose. However, the “adventure” that develops our being comes at a cost of “self-annihilation”, struggle, uncertainty, uncomfortable emotions, parts of us ceasing to exist, initiations, and battles. [3] Edwin mentions us prioritizing safety as a virtue, especially in America, when what we, and our children, really need is more adventure and risk for maturity and healthy developments sake.

Edwin, who is a Rabbi, just gave me permission to run with the bulls in Spain!!

Back to adventure and the need for struggle. Micheal Dowd, who does in excellent job of merging faith and science, in Thank God for Evolution, says, “All my life I thought my problems and difficulties were evidence that either I was fundamentally flawed, or someone else was to blame. Now I see my problems and difficulties, and our world’s challenges as well, as gifts for my and our evolution, evidence that we’re all alive and growing, evidence that our species is maturing.[4] Our universe seems to be set up in such a way that struggle, and pain is essential for growth.

Brian McLaren discusses this idea further in his book, Naked Spirituality. He argues that there is no learning to love without hard to love people in our lives, no patience without having to wait, no virtue without temptation, no courage without fear, no strength without resistance, and no growing in forgiveness without being hurt. Our universe is set up in such a way to push against us in all areas and it is how we respond that determines who we become.[5]

This correlates well with what Failure of Nerve emphasizes. Our being is either evolving and becoming self-differentiated (a non-anxious presence) or regressing and devolving. This is mainly determined by how we respond to the people and circumstances thrown our way every day. This reality takes me to my knees.

[1] Friedman, Edwin H., Margaret M. Treadwell, and Edward W. Beal. A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix. 10th anniversary revised edition. (New York: Church Publishing, 2017). 49.

[2] Ibid. 99.

[3] Campbell, Joseph. The Hero with a Thousand Faces. 3rd ed. Bollingen Series XVII. Novato, Calif: New World Library, 2008.

[4] Dowd, Michael. Thank God for Evolution! How the Marriage of Science and Religion Will Transform Your Life and Our World. New York: Plume, 2009.

[5] McLaren, Brian D. Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in 12 Simple Words. 1st HarperCollins pbk. ed. New York: HarperOne, 2012.

Adam Harris

I am currently the Associate Pastor at a church called Godwhy in Hendersonville, TN near Nashville. We love questions and love people even more. Our faith community embraces God and education wholeheartedly. I graduated from Oral Roberts University for undergrad and Vanderbilt for my masters. I teach historical critical Biblical studies at my church to help our community through their questions and ultimately deepen their faith. I love research, writing, learning, and teaching. I oversee our staff and leadership development. Before being at Godwhy I worked as a regional sales coach and director for Anytime Fitness. I've been married for over 13 years to my best friend and we have two amazing boys that keep us busy.

14 responses to “Thank God for Evolution”

Everything Evolves…Amen! Adam, there are so many important points here.

Your words, “Personal and organizational growth comes at a cost. There is really no way around that fact. Pain, discomfort, letting go, and struggle will be involved when getting better.”, really struck a never with me. I am currently living this. I wonder, in your work as a Pastor, how do you prioritize your personal evolution?

• Adam Harris says:

Pain and struggle do that for me well! I heard T.D. Jakes say stress is the best indicator that your structures and systems need attention. When I feel overly stressed it usually means I’ve neglected down time, devotional time, or planning time! Getting some kind of system and schedule for personal growth in the midst of chaos is key, my stress levels keep me pretty accountable.

2. Scott Dickie says:

Hey Adam,

Thanks for your thoughts. You highlighted one of Friedman’s primary thoughts (adaptation to strength rather than weakness) that is foundational to his entire book–and it was a phrase that stood out to me as well. I didn’t blog about it…and I haven’t wrestled it to the ground yet…so I’ll ask you the question!

Before I ask the question…I will clarify that I am not asking about the scientific theory of evolution and how it integrates to the Bible (I would describe myself as a ‘Theistic Evolutionist’). My question is more related to how you synthesize the concept of evolution as prioritizing the strong with Christianity’s heart for the lowly, meek, marginalized? The incarnation itself is God accommodating us and laying down his power (strength) to serve us. While the evolutionary concept would ‘brush aside’ the weakest in service of continued growth, Christianity radically calls us to see and concern ourselves with the ‘least of these.’

I recognize that Friedman is speaking to having a healthy response to un-healthy people, and I couldn’t agree more with him in that…but I’m struggling to fully embrace his evolutionary theory as the basis for his book. Perhaps his answer is, “To really help ‘the least of these’ you have to be healthy.” That might be a fair response…but I’m not sure I want to categorize people into ‘strong or weak’ or ‘healthy or unhealthy’ as we are all a collection of strength and mess.

I’m starting to babble…I’ll just re-ask the question: how do you see adaption to strength rather than weakness integrating with the Christian faith and concern for those who are ‘weaker’?

My question is more related to how you synthesize the concept of evolution as prioritizing the strong with Christianity’s heart for the lowly, meek, marginalized?

Great question for discussion Scott! A lot to dive into with his book. Weirdly, the topic of evolution in general has deepened and anchored my faith. Here’s my thoughts on your question. I believe evolution is woven into everything. Evolution is about the human heart (conscience) and mind evolving as well. The principles of evolution remain the same, struggle, modify, adapt, overcome or die, but the priorities in the process of evolution change as the human conscience evolves in the process. I think about early ideas of biological evolution where the physically weak die off while the “strong survive” which was necessary for humanity to exist. Our basic instinct is survive and reproduce.

All things we view as sin are necessities for our survival that get overextended at the expense to ourselves and others. Greed (we need to store resources, but not at the expense of taking from others so they don’t have anything. Gluttony (We need to eat but not to the extent it creates un health and we can’t contribute to our community) Sex (We have to reproduce, but not in a way that brings suffering to others for our pleasure or creates neglected children on the earth). etc.

I believe our priorities have evolved along with the principles of evolution. Someone gets hurt in a hockey game today and the whole crowd is on edge and concerned, when a couple of thousand years ago people watched gladiators kill one another and went home to eat lunch. To me it seems like evolution is also expanding our concern with others outside ourselves. (I don’t believe we live in a uptopia or have arrived but I can’t help notice some sensitivities changing) Moving from a concern from what only effects me and my family, to my clan, to my region, to my nation, and hopefully to my world is part of the evolutionary process.

The Christian integration part for me is moving beyond early priorities of only being concerned with “my survival and reproduction” which did involve a priority of physical, social, and economic strength. Jesus, I believe at a specific time in human development, began teaching and embodying something that turned our basic instincts upside for us to further evolve in a way that was better for everyone. Laying down your life daily for others, which includes the marginalized and weak goes against our very nature of “survive at all costs” but reflects the priorities of heaven and a large part of what it means to follow Christ.

Defining “weakness” in our current human history is another key for me. I’m not seeing weakness as the lowly or poor, but the characteristics that disrupt health and harmony in ourselves or community. Kind of like the “virus” analogy Edwin gives. Teams feel the effects when we are cynical, disruptive, gossips, self focused, insecure, lazy, short sighted, etc. These types of weaknesses do not promote health or growth in an organization and keep it from progressing. The more we adapt toward vision, confidence, service, and hope the healthier we all seem to become. Speaking from experience.

I’m with you when you said, “Perhaps his answer is, ‘To really help the least of these’ you have to be healthy’.” This is where I value evolution and growth. If I am self focused and dysfunctional I do not have the energy, wisdom, or resources to help others which causes regression.

Overall, evolution is about our priorities developing to a place that reflects Christ. Pierre de Chardin, the Jesuit Priest, believed that Christ was the embodiment and blueprint for what a fully evolved person (mind, body, spirit) looks like.

That’s my long answer (still in process) to your question, thank you for the response and dialogue my friend!

Hi Adam, I really appreciate your closing sentence, “Our being is either evolving and becoming self-differentiated (a non-anxious presence) or regressing and devolving. This is mainly determined by how we respond to the people and circumstances thrown our way every day. This reality takes me to my knees.” I am having the same feeling. I tell myself I am making progress and therefore becoming more self-differentiating, but good grief! I seem to notice all my missteps. You have reminded me to keep praying through and just sit in God’s love and grace! You noted Friedman mentioned the priority of safety over adventure. What does that look like for you? Please tell me it doesn’t involve bulls.
    My anxiety is kicking in:) Oops, back to self-differentiation and non-anxious presence!

• Adam Harris says:

Ha, actually I am entertaining the idea of running with the bulls at the moment with one of my best friends from childhood, soooo that may be part of my adventure.

The little adventures each day look like starting new things that I’ve never done, speaking or doing something for others that I feel God is prompting me to do, being vulnerable, and of course starting a doctorate!

Hi Adam, I liked the football example. I wanted to share some thoughts on Poole, Friedman and the U.S. Army.

On Apprenticeship

Poole writes, “We know….that the role of the line manager makes or breaks performance. In the impact studies on the transfer of learning, we know that learning stands of falls on the behavior of the line manager, (Poole, p. 67)”

In the U.S. Army, our young 2nd Lieutenants are our “apprentices” for their first 1st year and half. We do not expect them to be good leaders when all they have is book knowledge on leadership from books and some summer leadership training camps in ROTC. Upon arrival at a unit they are given a platoon, under the guidance of a old/crusty platoon sergeants who will show them the ropes. The Lieutenant learns how his small platoon is run, and he soon discovers there is a difference between running a platoon and leading it.

On Learning
    Poole talks about the idea of ‘fight or flight’. The idea behind the ‘fight-or-flight’ stress response is that our brains are conditioned to work best when we are in ‘fight’ mode, to give us the best chance of survival, (Poole, p.38)

The U.S. Army does a lot of peace time training with the young 1st Lieutenant and his platoon in the field. He is introduced to a new ‘fight or fight’ scenario. Poor performance means his removal from his position during peace time, or death for himself and his soldiers in war time.

They learn.

Making decisions is part and parcel for leadership in the Army. We use trials by fire to sharpen them into fighting leaders. On purpose we put decision making into the muscle memory of our young officers by the experience of those first apprenticeship years.

Weak decision makers are hopefully purged during the apprenticeship years, differentiated leaders/good leaders need to learn the other skills identified by Poole – like team building (5 of Hearts-teams) p. 170.

Everyone can learn to be a Type A personality being a “hard ass” but when Captains compete for their commands other leadership skills are looked for. Because there are more Commands than there are Captains, the competition is fierce. No command means the end of one’s career. LTC’s look for Captains that are more well rounded in other leadership skills. They start being technically and tactically competent – but must manifest that quality that draws men to them.

On differentiated leaders

Coming back to Friedman, empathy and emotional triangles. All of Friedman’s comments (plus Poole attributes) exist at various levels within U.S. Army Commands. However, the idea of “command” comes with a responsibility to fight today and keeping everyone alive for tomorrow. Indecision cannot be tolerated and in combat indecision can be equated to cowardness.

No one can know how men and women respond in combat. Hopefully, they will fall back on training and prior experience to execute their missions. Then there are those unexpectedly demonstrate courage and steadfastness.

These become our heroes.

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks so much for sharing those experiences Russell and for your service my friend. I can’t imagine the emotions, responsibility, and pressure that environment brings, but the leadership development and lessons has to remain with you forever.

Such a great illustration of how much our growth and strength effects those on our team. The stakes are much higher in the military so making decisions to move someone from their position or promote others is truly life or death for the team. It does make me think that in civilian environments “normal life” certain behaviors are more tolerated because the stakes are not as high.

I’m so glad that becoming a non-anxious presence isn’t something we are, or are not, completely, but that we progress (evolve) that direction. It encourages me that I can be on the journey without having arrived.

I guess it’s like holiness: Though I know I am positionally holy because of Jesus, I’m still making my way that direction.

Thanks for the post, Adam. Thought-provoking as always.

7. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Adam!

You wrote: “When we get healthier it inevitably and positively impacts others.”

According to Friedman, getting healthier might be interpreted as a leader taking responsibility for his/her emotional health and strength. A well-differential leader knows how to treat others without being impacted by others’ anxiety, but still maintains a close relationship.

Thanks for your writing.