Teenagers Do Care!

I feel like I dropped the ball with our new teenage volunteers recently, especially after reading Peter Northouse’s, Leadership Theory and Practice.  To give some context, several months ago we made a big shift at our church to truly embody the value of service for our youth department. We still have youth classes on Wednesday evenings, but we stopped them on Sunday mornings. Now highschoolers have the option to attend adult service or serve in one of the departments (kids ministry, tech, camera, stage, hospitality, etc.). I would love to take the credit, but we adopted this strategy from another church who took the time to work with us.

So back to my miss. We do leadership development meetings every month with the teens who serve on Sunday morning. I was sitting in the back while one of our leaders facilitated the meeting and at the end she asked if I had anything to add. I was caught off guard a little, but I had to say something since I’m the associate pastor!  I quickly shared my appreciation for them, mentioned the positive feedback we’ve been getting from the adult volunteers, and reminded them of the big rewards trip we have planned for all teens who serve. After I thought about it, I really did not use that moment to “raise consciousness levels”.

Peter Northouse, who quotes B.M. Bass, says that, “…transformational leadership motivates followers to do more than the expected by doing the following: (a) raising followers’ levels of consciousness about the importance  and value of specified and idealized goals, (b) getting followers to transcend their own self-interest for the sake of the team or organization, and (c) moving followers to address higher-level needs.”[1] I get that these are teenagers, but the goal of our program is to further shape the heart and character of future leaders and my approach in that moment was primarily transactional, as Northouse explains.

We waved a carrot in front of them: “If you meet our expectations you get to go on the big trip to Cedar Point amusement park!” I don’t regret mentioning the reward (they are teens volunteering after all), but I felt I missed an opportunity to remind them that each part they play, no matter how small it feels, impacts a life, furthers the mission, and makes a difference in our world. This is a conviction I hold myself and should have shared to help raise motivation from “if you do this then you get that” to “if you do this it helps others and here’s why that matters.”

I think I momentarily bought into the “myth” that teenagers don’t actually care about that kind of stuff, but I know that is not true. In fact, one of the girls in our teen leadership program, who has struggled with drug addiction and depression, lit up for the first-time last summer while leading a group of underprivileged kids for our day camp. We all noticed how much one of the younger campers hung on her the whole day and how this teen, who wouldn’t look most of us in the eye or smile, seemed like a different person that day after interacting with this little girl. This was transformational leadership in action. This teen’s “small” leadership role that day was not only helping us and our little campers, but it was slowly transforming her as well. She experienced the inherent value in loving others. I’m reminded that it is our job as leaders to continually highlight these moments and opportunities for our teams and volunteers.

Earlier I said I bought into the “myth” concerning teens not caring about certain things which touches on the psychodynamic aspects of leadership Peter mentions.[2] Of course, the concept of myth is used a bit different in a lot of our writings, but the stories in our head and what we tell one another often determines our confidence, direction, values, and priorities.  I know I need to unravel some long held and unproductive myths so I can better give my attention to healthier inner narratives and not miss opportunities like I did with those teenagers, which is one example of many of my shortcomings and faulty beliefs.

This book, as well as Dr. Daniel Lieberman’s class discussion about Spellbound, [3] has reinforced just how important it is to know what is going on between our ears since it radically influences our assumptions and responses. Many wise philosophers have famously said “know thyself” and I’m seeing more and more how true that is to effect change and lead well. The next opportunity I have with teenagers, and anyone I lead, I plan to be more transformational over transactional and operate from an internal story / myth of faith, hope, and love. Teenagers do care and can have their consciousness raised to a higher level when it comes to ministry!

[1] Peter C. Northouse, Leadership: Theory & Practice Third Edition (London: SAGE Publication, 2004), 173.

[2] Northouse, Leadership, 242.

[3] Daniel Z. Lieberman, Spellbound: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Conscious Mind (Dallas: BenBella Books, 2022).

Adam Harris

I am currently the Associate Pastor at a church called Godwhy in Hendersonville, TN near Nashville. We love questions and love people even more. Our faith community embraces God and education wholeheartedly. I graduated from Oral Roberts University for undergrad and Vanderbilt for my masters. I teach historical critical Biblical studies at my church to help our community through their questions and ultimately deepen their faith. I love research, writing, learning, and teaching. I oversee our staff and leadership development. Before being at Godwhy I worked as a regional sales coach and director for Anytime Fitness. I've been married for over 13 years to my best friend and we have two amazing boys that keep us busy.

13 responses to “Teenagers Do Care!”

Hi Adam,
    I really appreciate your post. First, the work you are doing with youth is transformational and I love hearing how you reflect on your goals and approach to working with youth. Second, the way you challenged your belief and brought in Dr. Lieberman’s work into your reflection in a thoughtful and curious way. Third, you highlighted an important benefit of transformational leadership in that both the leader and the follower are transformed. What do you love most about shaping the hearts and character of the youth in your church?

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks Jenny, we are moving toward a “village” approach with our youth program which means all leadership is taking a role in helping shape our students. When playing the long game, to bring change it makes more sense to spend energy on young people who are not as ingrained in their ways as others may be, but seeing them become healthier is so rewarding!

Hi Adam!
    I agree with you; teenagers do care! I really appreciate how you have intentionally created spaces for them to lead. Another observation I have from your story is that by creating space for them in the adult service, I would imagine you are also sending a clear message that there is a place for them in the broader faith community; they don’t need to be ushered away to a separate room, but they actually BELONG there. Was that also part of the strategy behind this decision?

• Adam Harris says:

Absolutely, really in both approaches (service or serving). Participating and getting involved in either capacity helps send the message that “they” are the church and combats some of the “consumerism” mentality we have been discussing all semester regarding faith. We got the idea from a church in Texas where my friends attend and their youth have grown tremendously in this culture. We are already seeing some fruit from it, so we’re excited!

3. Hey brother Adam, check out these 2 statements from your blog:

1. “We do leadership development meetings every month with the teens who serve on Sunday morning.”
    2. “I get that these are teenagers, but the goal of our program is to further shape the heart and character of future leaders and my approach in that moment was primarily transactional…”

First of all, leadership development for teenagers, once a month is definitely transformational! MAN! You are creating a safe and challenging space for them…just like that guy did from Nazareth! And I know life transformation is definitely happening in your ministry.

And you quickly noticed something about how you handled a situation…sounds like a well-differentiated leader. Great self-awareness man!

Finally, you felt you should have shared your conviction, “each part they play, no matter how small it feels, impacts a life, furthers the mission, and makes a difference in our world.” Sir Adam, you did share your conviction with those teenagers…maybe not verbally this time but with your example. Your life.

Much appreciated Todd! Your comments are always so encouraging man. I am learning and I love that our course material is having a real-time impact on how we lead and think.

5. Cathy Glei says:

Adam,
    Thanks for sharing your leadership reflections. Youth in our church also choose to serve once a month in areas of ministry, such as the Kid Zone. It is a great place to mentor their heart to serve and grow in relationships with other Christians. About the stories in our head. . . you stated, “what we tell one another often determines our confidence, direction, values, and priorities.” I see this over and over in myself and other contexts. . . the narratives we rehearse (and rehash) in our heads have the ability to determine our direction, positively or negatively, circumventing healing, forgiveness, etc. Thank you elevating that fact in your post.

• Adam Harris says:

So true Cathy, when I first got to the church where I serve now they called the mind narratives, “the tapes that play in our head”. When people noticed a negative or unhealthy story playing they would say, “I have a bad tape playing up there”. I thought it was a clever way to name what gets us off track in multiple ways. Thanks for the response Cathy!

Adam, as a former Youth Pastor and Residence Life person as a part of my career, I LOVED your post!! Transformational Leadership was a style I really resonate with and am drawn to. Your recognizing the power to not just “dangle the carrot” which a lot of ministry and schools and parents (me too), but to place value on the work itself at the same time, (because honestly we need to have a carrot). In my experience when we embrace transformational leadership, it also means we as leaders have to be willing to be transformed by those we are encouraging transformation. In my experience this is where churches get it wrong. Many of the leaders I encountered in church wanted to train up the youth to replace them as they were tired, the problem came in that they wanted the young to keep everything the same and just carry on as usual. IMPOSSIBLE! Churches need transformation or they’ll die! Such hard work and what you are doing is key to the future of the church! If you could express a hope for the future that this generation may give or transform your church and world. Do you have an idea of what that hope would be?

• Adam Harris says:

Somehow I missed that you did Youth Ministry! Same, 7 years! As far as the hope for the next generation, I hope to have a healthy balance of older generations getting out of the way and listening to what younger people intuitively know and feel to be true, while also passing on much-needed wisdom, and even tradition, that helps them navigate life and faith for the 21st century. Part of the heart of my NPO is to help younger generations not throw out the baby with the bath water!

Adam,

I really appreciate your post. My son, Pierce, is a teenager that actively serves every Sunday. About a year ago, he stopped going to Youth Ministry and began serving every Sunday in the Children’s Ministry, specifically 3 and under. I had not realized it until I kept having parents seek me out after service and say how grateful they were that he was working with their kids and complimenting his patience. We had a moment where we thought that we would either push him to return to Youth Ministry (which has shifted in age with recent graduations to a younger group mostly comprised of 6th grade girls) or push him to stay in the sanctuary. But after talking to him and the Children’s Pastor, it was clear that Pierce has found his ministry and is faithfully serving and teaching every Sunday. He once said, “I have finally found a place (our church) where people are interested in what I have to say and see me”! Truly a transformational moment for us all. This space helped him explore where he is happiest serving.
    You said: “This is a conviction I hold myself and should have shared to help raise motivation from “if you do this then you get that” to “if you do this it helps others and here’s why that matters.”” I think that you are on the right track. They want to be heard, valued and appreciated and helping them see how to do that for others is one of the best lessons that we could ever teach them. You are doing amazing work, my friend.

Thanks Jonita, I LOVE hearing that about your son. What an inspirational story. What a blessing that he found his lane that early in life and is growing. I know that warms Momma’s heart as well.

9. Adam, first of all – that carrot and stick is a great image!

Secondly, your self-reflection on your leadership approach with teenage volunteers is commendable. Recognizing the need to shift from transactional to transformational leadership is essential, especially with young individuals. Highlighting the intrinsic value of their contributions, personal growth, and the impact they make on others can inspire them to embrace a deeper sense of purpose and fulfillment in their roles. It’s a valuable lesson in leadership and mentorship.

As a dad of three teens, I learned a lot.