Survival Techniques For Overwhelmed Readers

“How to Read a Book” was first published in 1940. After three decades of unexpected success and two years before I was born, Mortimer Adler published a new edition with the help of Charles Van Doren in order to approach the art of reading in a more holistic way. This approach resulted in a series of principles that lead the book to become a classic, gaining the subtitle “the classical guide to intelligent reading.”

The authors define the goal of reading as an active pursuit to gain increased understanding. This goal is better served when conceiving the art of reading as a journey into four increasing levels of reading skills: elementary, inspectional, analytical, and syntopical reading. Each one of these levels has its own subcategories and unique dynamics. When a reader is able to master these techniques and apply them differently depending on the types of books being read, the person will be able to get the most out of a book and gain the most understanding.

I enjoyed reading the book, even though at times it seemed wordy.   Nonetheless, the practical insights into the art of reading, and the helpful systematic categorizations of all of these insights made the experience a rewarding one. The benefit was twofold. On the one hand, some of the principles described in the book served to confirm my own discoveries. For instance, when I started my journey in academic reading, I avoided writing anything in my books; I wanted to keep them like new. With time, I realized that it was more helpful to interact with the book by underlining, marking, and writing my comments on the pages. Also, at the beginning of my journey I used to start reading the book on the first page, with no attention to the big picture. With time, I realized that it was more helpful to examine the outline of the book and get a sense of the big picture before I started reading the book. Based on these experiences, I understand why Adler attributes some of his principles to “common sense.” Yet, on the other hand, some of the principles of this book were new insights that I find very helpful at this point of my academic journey.

Among these insights, there are three principles that I find helpful as I start reading the long list of books during my doctoral studies. First, it is good to know that it is not cheating if I do not read the book word by word. Instead, in inspectional and analytical reading, I must be concerned with finding the structure of the book, and the main arguments. In a way, it is a relief to know that this form of reading is not only legitimate but also an important technique in advanced reading.   Secondly, it is important to remember that just because an author has published a book, it does not mean that everything the author says is true or accurate—or even logical. Being published does not imply infallibility, nor does disagreeing with the author imply arrogance. I see a tendency in the media today where people hear a person’s credentials and automatically lower their intellectual guard. So, I must remember that reading with an active mind means that I have the freedom to disagree with the author’s views regardless of credentials. Finally, even though analytical reading gives freedom to disagree with the authors’ ideas, I must make sure that I understand what the author says and means before I can disagree. I often find the lack of this principle in the media, where people tend to misquote or misrepresent a person’s views just to win an argument.   Thus, in my own academic journey, I must ensure that I represent people’s perspectives accurately before disagreeing with their views.

Adler challenges his readers at the end of his book to make the effort to read as they have probably never done it before. I believe this doctoral experience will indeed push me to that level. Thankfully, I now have some tools to help me survive that journey.

Pablo Morales

Pablo Morales serves as the Lead Pastor of Ethnos Bible Church in Texas. He is currently pursuing the Doctor of Ministry degree in Leadership and Global Perspectives at Portland Seminary in order to understand what it takes to develop a healthy multiethnic church.

7 responses to “Survival Techniques For Overwhelmed Readers”

Pablo,

You mentioned that the revision of this book was published before you were born. That said, do you find this book outdated at all, (are the language and illustrations dated) or is the book still relevant in 2015?

2. Pablo Morales says:

Marc,
    I found the book to be relevant, because many of the proposed principles are of a timeless nature. Yet, like any book, the writing style and the examples are limited by the era in which it was written. I mainly experienced this factor when the writing style seemed lengthy. So, in that sense, the book is outdated but not to the degree of becoming irrelevant. There may be a level of irrelevance in that writing in itself has evolved since the 70’s with many new forms of written communication and ebooks. So, just like in the 70’s a new edition of this book was needed, perhaps a newer updated edition may also be needed for a post-internet era. Yet, I have not researched this topic, so I do not have specific examples in mind. Thank you for asking a good question!

3. Aaron Cole says:

Pablo,

Great post! I really agree and resonate with your sentiment of not marking up books. It has taken me some time to adjust to the idea. Now I feel like I’m almost “coloring” them up. I also liked and agree with: “it is good to know that it is not cheating if I do not read the book word by word.” I think with the volume of information, this will be a welcomed word in the future. I look forward to meeting you in person in Hong Kong. Until then, blessings.

Aaron

Pablo,
    Yes, the reader must be motivated to stay the course and as you indicated, “When a reader is able to master these techniques and apply them . . . then the person will be able to get the most out of a book and gain the most understanding.” Are you aware of any authors over the past few decades that have tackled the same subject material of How to Read a Book, and have surpassed or are on a par with Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren?

5. Pablo Morales says:

Claire,
    Adler’s book was the first one I have read on the topic of how to read a book. I am not aware of other bibliography except for what Rose mentioned in her post, a book from Susan Bauer titled “The-Well Educated Mind.” Nonetheless, I have not read that book, so I have no point of reference as to offer an educated opinion. Mortimer Adler covered so many categories and subcategories that it is hard to imagine another book that is more complete in the topic.

6. Hi Pablo. I think you bring out a good point: It’s not cheating to not read every word in every assigned book. For me, it takes a certain level of confidence to choose which words to read and which to skip.
    I think that’s the hidden treasure buried in this book. Sometimes knowing the rules and steps can impart confidence.

7. Pablo,

To read like I never have before is your statement that really caught my attention. This first book is really a difficult read because it feels like a technical manual. One that contains information that I will need one day and when I do I will know where it is at.

But what I find interesting is that from the moment that I received the Harvard book in the mail I haven’t stopped reading it. Even in the beginning and explanation pages it contains so much content about something that I am consumed with that I don’t want to put it down to read the other books that are in order.

So I believe we will read like never before on the journey. Some books every word, others we will know where the information is located when we need it so we can “go back” and review it again in more detail.