Subjective Meaning of Faith and Religion

Written by: on December 1, 2023

Introduction

“Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief” by Jordan B. Peterson is a fascinating book that digs deep into how our beliefs, the myths we hear, and our everyday lives are connected. Peterson shows us that myths are not just old stories but more like an ancient tool. He presents these narratives (myths) as a rudimentary yet profound form of technology (think Myspace, which made way for Facebook and all the social media technology); they help us make sense of the world and deal with life’s big questions and challenges. He challenges us to see that these stories from long ago still have much to teach us about living our lives today. I found many interesting ideas in this book, but nothing was more interesting than the meaning of things. Maybe because it speaks in some ways to my NPO project. 

The meaning of things.

Peterson says two things that stood out to me about the meaning of things. The first one was, “The meaning we attribute to objects or situations is not as stable. What is important to one man is not necessarily important to another.[1]” His insights here strike a chord, especially when he notes this concept that our valuation of life’s components isn’t fixed but fluid, that it dances to the rhythm of individual perspectives (Jubi slide anyone?), is both liberating and daunting. It suggests that the tapestry of human experience is more subjective than we might care to admit. I have to say that this touches on my project and our idea of God but also terrifies me a little. I like it. It’s unknown and unstable but exciting.

God and our aspirations

And when he says, “The meaning of things depends to a profound and ultimately undeterminable degree upon the relationship of those things to the goal we currently have in mind,[2]” it’s as if he’s inviting us to consider that our goals act like lenses through which the world reveals itself to us. Our aspirations, drives, ideas, and thoughts all color our world. This could apply to the spiritual dimensions of our lives as well. If we follow this thread, our understanding of religion and our grasp of the divine are also shaped by the goals that burn within us. This is a question I have been asking myself with my project. The idea that the sacred might be filtered through our ambitions and desires is intriguing and complex. It suggests that our spiritual journeys are not just about seeking truth in a vacuum but about discovering how that truth resonates with the inner narrative of our personal missions and visions.

This perspective opens up a broader conversation about the role of individual purpose in our religious beliefs and practices (religion and politics?). If what Peterson is getting at rings true, then the spiritual truths we hold dear and the way we practice our faith could be as much about who we are and what we’re striving for as they are about doctrines and traditions handed down to us. It makes one wonder: How much of our faith reflects our innermost yearnings, and what does this say about the dynamic, ever-evolving nature of belief itself? Peterson says, “We presume that things have a more-or-less fixed meaning, because we share a more-or-less fixed “condition” with others – at least with those others who are familiar to us, who share our presumptions and world-views[3]

[1] Peterson, J. B. (1999). Maps of meaning: The architecture of belief. Routledge. Pg38

[2] Peterson, J. B. (1999). Maps of meaning: The architecture of belief. Routledge. Pg38

[3] Peterson, J. B. (1999). Maps of meaning: The architecture of belief. Routledge. Pg39

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

6 responses to “Subjective Meaning of Faith and Religion”

1. Yes, Daron! Yes! I love the thread you are following and I can’t wait to hear more about your project. I have felt for some time that the way each person experiences God is SUPPOSED to be different. He created us uniquely. We experience the world uniquely. Why wouldn’t we experience God uniquely? I think that’s why I’m so interested in Christian Mysticism because it’s all about experiencing God’s presence rather than having the “correct” theology or belief system. What form is your doctoral project taking?

• mm Daron George says:

Laura!

I love your reply. Let me tell you why. A few weeks ago, I submitted something to Dr. Clark, and in it, I said, “I have moved sharply from a foundational epistemology (to use the language in the chat) to a more open and mystical understanding of the divine. When I speak of mystical, I speak of mystics like Origen, Gregory of Nyssa, Augustine, Bernard of Clairvaux and others.” I resonate with you so much with you and the interest in Christian Mysticism.

2. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Daron,
    You wrote: “The idea that the sacred might be filtered through our ambitions and desires is intriguing and complex.” This is probably true for the majority of Believers. How does this fit with the idea that God wants our whole heart?

Daron, great post! “Maybe because it speaks in some ways to my NPO project.” Maybe? There is no maybe about it!

“If what Peterson is getting at rings true, then the spiritual truths we hold dear and the way we practice our faith could be as much about who we are and what we’re striving for as they are about doctrines and traditions handed down to us. It makes one wonder: How much of our faith reflects our innermost yearnings, and what does this say about the dynamic, ever-evolving nature of belief itself?”

This makes me think of “The Last Battle” by C.S. Lewis. In the story, there is one character, Emeth, a Calormene soldier. He is an example of someone who is searching his whole life for God (Aslan), but within the context of his own culture. I agree with what Laura said, that we are all unique and therefore all have a unique experience with God. I look forward to seeing where God takes you with your project.

Daron,
    These ideas blew me away too…You state, “it’s as if he’s [Peterson] inviting us to consider that our goals act like lenses through which the world reveals itself to us. Our aspirations, drives, ideas, and thoughts all color our world.”
    What would it really look like if we valued the different spiritual expressions and spiritual journey of each person? I mentioned to a group recently, “the sin you are struggling with may not be a sin for another person at this point in their spiritual journey.” To my surprise, no one in the group pushed back on the statement. It does imply a personalized, mystical understanding of God’s work in our own journey. It also allows the Spirit to work and for us to trust the Spirit to be at work. more difficult part is that we give up the control and certainty of absolutes that are so tempting. Great thoughts!