Seek Truth

Truth

Sorrow was the primary emotion I felt when my daughter, McKenna, a freshman at George Fox University, called me to discuss the reactions of her classmates to the new presidency.  The folk theology that entered their evening discussion was: “God allowed Trump to win the presidency because men are the ones who are supposed to be the leaders.”  When she adamantly protested the theology of this, she was stunned when the girls chimed in with: “It’s true. Women are too emotional and would make poor presidents. God made us to follow and men to lead.”  Growing up in an egalitarian home and church life, she was stunned at the overt discrimination to women, and responded flippantly, “Well that’s not how it is in my home.  Both my parents lead.”

Privately, I heard her sad, small voice as she asked, “Mom, they said the Bible says women should not teach and should be silent.  Is that true?” I swallowed the lump in my throat and continued with, “Yes it’s true but it’s taken way out of context.”  I encouraged her to meet with a ministerial, professional, or academic theologian and to become a lay theologian as she pursued truth on the controversial subject.  It was one thing for me to oppose this teaching and offer different theological perspectives that marginalized me, but for my daughter to be in a private university and in the minority of healthy, reflective theology was heart-wrenching.  My heart ached for her because I knew to disagree with theologians or theological beliefs is not a kind journey, but a necessary one if truth is to reside within our hearts and minds.

This is why we need good, sound theology.  So discrimination is not reinforced with folk theology that teaches principles, beliefs, and values counter-culture to the work and life of Jesus Christ, and the good news is made culturally relevant for us to have healthy community.  According to Grenz & Olson, good theology: grounds us, clarifies our understanding of the gospel, discovers truth, convicts us to live righteously, tests our dogma, and teaches us about God.  It is anthropocentric (human-centered) but insufficient without theocentric theology, or in otherwards, it is a relational experience with God and inclusive of all who want to learn about their Creator.  If we want to grow in our faith, we need to be reflective theologians so as to better understand the nature of God and the relationship He has designed for His creation.  The more we know about God, the more we can teach truth with accuracy, relevancy, and consistency.  This provides a safe culture for people to belong with, grow in, and become a unified community where we adhere to the Christian beliefs of dogma and doctrine, while allowing fluency with our opinions.

If “…the primary purpose of theology is neither to divide nor to unite, but to discover and protect truth” (Kindle, 576) then becoming a reflective theologian invites the hearts and minds of all of us.  Good theology is active in response to the discovered truth impressed upon our heart and mind as it “always moves from the head to the heart and finally to the hand” (Kindle, 412).  As we discover the truth, theology demands we live out that truth as we embody the hands and feet of Jesus to those around us.  Oh and there’s a happy ending. As I finished writing this, my daughter sent me this text after watching a short Utube clip in chapel (I included the clip at the end):

“I love my school when our pastor said “there is healing of people of color and women that needs to be done from this election”.  I’m in the right place Mom.”

Point George Fox…thank you for teaching good, sound theology.

Jennifer Dean-Hill

12 responses to “Seek Truth”

1. When I read your post my heart sank. I felt for your daughter who was working out her sound theology in communion with others only to be shut down by populist and misguided ideals about women. It is so sad that in 2016 we still have to reassure our young girls that their place in society has value and that they were created to lead.

I love how dressember.org movement is working to help end sex trafficking around the world!!! Women are world changers!!! LOVE IT! 🙂

2. Mary Walker says:

Jen, your daughter is so blessed to have you for a mom! I am glad that her story has a happier ending. I will go to dressemberfoundation.org and learn more. I see IJM supports it. I’ve been a supporter of International Justice Mission for years. Talk about a theology that moves from “head to heart to hand”!
    As always my heart was cheered by your post. Thank you.

3. Jennifer,
    It is heartening to see the young women raised to believe they have limited worth. College life challenges many of one’s Christian values. The young ladies she was communicating with also had their values challenged by your daughter’s belief. Researching beyond the scriptures supports Grenz & Olson’s point – We all need theology. They need to know that it is okay to study the word on their own and not just stand on their teachers/preachers word alone.
    Hooray for you daughter – I know you and your husband are proud.

4. Geoff Lee says:

Thanks for your story Jennifer.
    Joining up the two themes of women in ministry and theology/hermeneutics, I really enjoyed Scott McKnight’s book “The Blue Parakeet” on the issue of women in leadership and ministry and how we read and interpret the Bible through culture and history and the lenses of our traditions. It’s very readable and covers some similar ground to this book.
    Your daughter might enjoy it!

5. Stu Cocanougher says:

Jen, I’m not sure if you know this, but I have a daughter in college named “McKynna.” She is a Communications / Political Science Major at a Christian college.

I, too was heartbroken by the entire election cycle. So many insults and character flaws were exposed. In looking at both major candidates, I wondered how either (if they won) could lead effectively with so much baggage attached to them.

I especially like your quote “Good theology is active in response to the discovered truth impressed upon our heart and mind as it “always moves from the head to the heart and finally to the hand” ”

Isn’t that the nature of the gospel? God uses scripture and the Holy Spirit to change our heads and hearts. These are used to cause action in our lives.

It is hard being a parent and seeing your kids struggle, but it is not all bad. You won’t find a biography in the George Fox Library about a great man or women who did not face adversity. Those people are easily forgotten. Those who face challenge and rise to the occasion become leaders.

6. Katy Lines says:

Gah, your post made me weep, Jennifer. My heart is heavy for your daughter. Like her, my freshman son was shocked and devastated on election day. Most of his classmates at his Christian college chose the winning candidate and were celebrating. He was angry and sad, and struggled to understand how they could apparently choose to vote for angry rhetoric against people he knows and loves: Latino/as, undocumented, African Americans, LGBTQ+, women, etc. But like you, I encouraged him to reach out to faculty, professors, local ministers, to help him process and find perspective.

And I remembered this: when I entered school as a freshman, I thought I was smart, but discovered I’d really lived an unexamined life to that point. College pushed and challenged me to think critically about life, the world, and how I fit into it. And helped me reflectively read scripture. And I believe that helped me see life differently and make different choices than I would have had I not gone through that school. My hope would be that my son, your daughter, and especially their classmates will grow and be stretched and exit college as stronger thinkers and wiser theologians.

And like you, I have good news: moving from the head to heart to hand, my son is exploring ways to focus on some form of social justice with his major. He wants to be a life changer.

7. Oh Jennifer this just crushed me. So many young women are buying into a lie. I know that is not what they are learning at GFU but it is such a hard cycle to break. Systemic patriarchy is not just in the church, it’s a part of our culture.
    Tell your daughter that Dr. Leah Payne (she was my thesis advisor at GF Seminary) teaches quite a few undergrad bible courses and that she would LOVE to talk with her and the other young women, and the young men for that matter. There are other mighty women on campus who will happily affirm the way you have raised your daughter.

8. Thanks Kristin for those referrals. I’ll pass that on to McKenna. So nice to have you in my corner! Appreciative of you!