Rock Cakes at Elevenses

No culture is backwards. I have overheard people and been near to friends and family members as various cultures, people groups and nations have been referred to in such a way, most affectionately of course. Backwards? My dad, a retired middle school English Teacher in Victoria, BC would often mention to his classes when the timing was right, ‘we are all different but, the same.’ We are all different but, the same. More so or not so much in London?

We can learn sweet things from one another even in the beauty of our contrasts, our differences. Perhaps there can be a holy curiosity in this exploration; we may find little glimpses of God in those hidden places that looked fearfully different from a distance. Slow and steady can be the way sometimes toward an easier, less forced revelation or understanding. Baby steps, if jumping in is daunting.

Dock jumping is a part of our culture in the Pacific Northwest (not actually, I’d just like to see it that way for the sake of this post and because I think it’s fun and vvv-v-vvery cool and I think it’d be neat if in a book like CultureShock! London, it was mentioned as a thing that defined the culture on Vancouver Island). Dock-jumping in later spring, the first jump of the year requires the most courage in my opinion. On the dock, before the jump a self-pep talk with some back and forth pacing can help the courage to spark. Once that step is taking off the side, it’s quick. No slowing gravity. On most docks, if a slower entry or if more information is desired before the leap, there’s a ladder down to the water (depending on the tide and to add to the experience, it could be covered in sea life). Culture shock! How do we prepare ourselves and how do we respond to it? It may take a bit of getting used to the water once we’re in. Not so much in London?

I hope to encounter the different ‘Types’ of people that Hargraves mentions. Honestly, I hope to run into the street and meet some of the ‘Punk’ community most of all. I’m curious about style and conversation and whether or not there’s room to include someone like me for some time. I’m looking forward to ordering a ‘pint of lager’. I wonder if I could give a go to the English accent while I work it out, without sounding in any way awkward. Milk on the doorstep in glass jugs? That would be a treat to see and worth a couple snaps with a little extra artistic flare. In a conversation on football, a switch from the hardness of current politics, to see spirits lifted and passion adjusted to something else. And, to consider the question, how are we the same like this? To find appreciation in the difference and to find the connection, it’s there somewhere and worth the pursuit. Walls can be up to our differences yet, if we are willing to wait and see the walls can disappear and there’s beauty to learn from and even, to find connection to on the other side.

Culture changes us. Even, in the way of remembering who we are and where we came from. Travelling about can help with this recollection. If we are willing to engage with culture in a such a way as to learn and perceive and grow, we may even find ourselves adventuring way back in time and space as we engage with our somewhat sameness all over the place, even to an original One(ness) that we can perceive our corporate ‘coming from’. Beyond the characteristic ‘stiff lip’ when the change isn’t quite there at the till and the kind eyes of help, the unzip of a money pouch and a few pence passed along to satisfy the difference. There’s something original in this kind of loving care, what lies beyond the walls.

So, here’s to Rock Cakes at elevenses! To say that out loud feels so different, not backwards though perhaps a little-to-the-side-of-the-road. Maybe in Rock Cakes an original feeling of first places will arise within.

There’s an excitement building in me for the upcoming visit to England! It’s all kinds of surreal to be honest. Studying and travelling and, the nerves that are triggering a tad at the thought of meeting new people. Catching a glimpse of the English culture at this time of slight unrest too. Brexit, I have only just learned is the joining together of the two words, ‘Britain’ and ‘exit’. I have heard of the discord and I’m curious to see how the people are rallying together and passionate together; on sides, standing for and by different beliefs in the way ‘things’ could be.

Chris Pollock

Dad of Molly Polly Pastor at the Mustard Seed Street Church Trail Runner

12 responses to “Rock Cakes at Elevenses”

Chris, I as well look forward to experiencing the daily side of London. Sitting in a Pub just to listen and watch. Your observation “culture changes us” is so true. It not only changes us it enriches and grows us as individuals.

Visiting friends and family in Canada always brings a freshness to life. I have fond memories of sailing up to Nanaimo in my younger days. The scenery and cuisine were always excellent especially if we could catch the local shrimp troller at the docks. I appreciate the bold insight into your desires and hopes for the trip. I am sure you will come back with a vast amount of insight and fond memories.

• Chris Pollock says:

Thanks Greg! I look forward to meeting you. Great to hear how you have been moved and enriched by culture as you’ve had the chance to travel well around the world. Glad to hear that Nanaimo was one of your destinations!

It sure feels like we’re jumping off into deep and invigorating waters! I admire your enthusiastic desire to go all in and soak up the experience for all it’s worth. I’m looking forward to the journey as well.

Chris,
    Love the analogy to dock jumping!

“We can learn sweet things from one another even in the beauty of our contrasts, our differences.” Yes! and there is holy curiosity, right? I believe so.

“Culture changes us.” How do you hope that the London culture will change you?

Nancy

• Chris Pollock says:

Hi Nancy, thanks for the comment and the question.

I hope the fellowship in London ignites something beautiful in all of us and perhaps this could signify a starting point for new things, awakenings and confidence in ways, direction and lots more. Also, fish + chips if given the opportunity!

I smiled as I read the phrase “holy curiosity.” I tried to use that in a staff meeting recently and I was met with confusion and and needed to defend the notion. I think that a one needs to be in step with the Spirit to embody holy curiosity by postponing judgment, keeping one’s ego at bay, humbling oneself to the posture of a learner, and empathizing by moving towards someone with a different experience than our own.

• Chris Pollock says:

Shawn, appreciate the feedback! Would love to throw some ‘holy curiosity’ out into a meeting one day. Out of holy curiosity to see what might happen 🙂 glad you’re in my peer group!

Chris, thank you for sharing your nervous excitement with us. Indeed, it does feel like we are taking a big leap into something new. First, your tags for the post are fabulous! Second, you said, “Culture changes us. Even, in the way of remembering who we are and where we came from.” For months I had been wrestling with the question, “Who am I?” Somewhere along the way, I’d lost my sense of identity. But recently when I was in Rwanda, I sat with the question again, and slowly over the course of days, I began to remember. As I engaged with the Rwandans I love dearly, I began to see more clearly who I am and better understand my place in the world. My time in foreign lands always shapes how I live in my local place. I look forward to seeing how our time in London will awaken us more to who we are, and then transform and inform how we live back home. See you soon!

• Chris Pollock says:

I appreciate your honest words, Darcy. I can already understand this as a part of the way God has made you, honest and genuine! Good, good things. Stretching us to perceive who we are (made to be) and, it comes with some trembling; God loves each one of us so much (generally and specifically) and knows what we are capable of handling. This encounter isn’t for everybody! God bless you as God continues to do a wonderful work in you and through you. Leaning on grace, Chris.

Culture definitely has a way of changing us. When I first moved to Hong Kong, a friend was talking about how once you go overseas for a longer period of time, it changes the way you see things. He always used this analogy: “If the United States is a circle and Hong Kong is a triangle, by the time you return to the United States you’re a trapezoid.” By this, he simply meant that our experiences change us. We are no longer the same person we were before we left and if anything, reentry can be incredibly hard and awkward. Where once we were the circle and knew the full ins and outs of our culture, we no longer fit that shape. Add to this that you never truly fit the shape of the culture you experienced, and you have the recipe for a crisis of identity.

However, this isn’t a bad thing. It may be disorienting at times and you may feel like you don’t have a place you truly belong, but the experience of new cultures shows us both the positives AND the negatives of our worldview.

• Chris Pollock says:

Amen. After engaging with a foreign culture as a learner, I can see re-entry being super challenging. Yes, we are changed. Our eyes see differently. There’s a difference to us. As we re-enter, our culture of origin may have changed to us as our worldview has changed in ways by a foreign experience. Nothing will ever be the same again! A switch has been flipped.

Appreciate your thoughts on this, Dylan. Look forward to meeting you!