Rethinking Reading

In the Amplified Version of Ecclesiastes 12:12 Solomon says: “But beyond this my son, [about going further than the words given by one Shepherd], be warned: the writing of many books is endless [so do not believe everything you read], and excessive study and devotion to books is wearying to the body.”

To that end, I am coming into 2024 quite weary.

Let me explain…

The “turnaround” from last semester in 2023 to this semester was far too short (can I get an Amen?). And yes, this semester has some really thick and dense reading material. Sure, I can “inspectionally read” a number of them, and frankly, that’s a discipline that I need to get better at. My “problem,” if it can be called that, is that I want to read EVERYTHING. If you put a cereal box in front of me, I will read it. All of it. I take a book with me to the toilet (TMI). I grieve if I don’t accurately anticipate my reading needs when I travel. If I finish a book on a plane, and don’t have another one to move onto immediately, I start to contemplate rushing the cockpit, demanding a swift landing at the nearest Barnes & Noble.

A few weeks ago, when I posted online the titles of the 153 books I read in 2023, I got a message from a friend with this attached screenshot:

I resemble this remark! In truth, each of our four children are grown and gone, AND, the pastorate does afford me the opportunity to read, A LOT.

Bottom line: there is just so much good stuff to read on the planet. And I want to read it all. Never has this been more true than in the field of leadership. Dr. Clark, in a lecture, quoted us the number of leadership books in circulation. I don’t recall the amount, but suffice it say, it was A LOT. In a previous blog post I paid homage to all the leadership gurus that I have given precious time and money to over the years. I don’t have an exact amount, but suffice it say, again…it is A LOT.

In Annabel Beerel’s Rethinking Leadership:  A Critique of Contemporary Theories, we have yet another (fairly) comprehensive review of key leadership theories and skills, particularly those, in her own words, that are “required during times of crisis and radical uncertainty, and how they can be applied in practice” (from the Preface). It’s those last few words (“applied in practice”) that are a challenge for me personally.

When I read so much, and so widely, I often overlook the important part of “applying in practice.” It becomes information, for information sake, and it can tend to blur together into a mush of amassed data. Beerel, utilizing the seminal work of Edwin H. Friedman’s A Failure of Nerve, gets to the heart of that problem. According to Friedman, “American society is one plagued by chronic anxiety, reactivity, a tendency towards blaming, a desire for herding, and a quick-fix mentality. In this environment, leaders are not developed or encouraged to have clarity and decisiveness. They are poor at understanding problems and framing issues” (Beerel, 107). One may be inclined to propose that more information is needed in such a case. Friedman would disagree in saying that “rising mental health problems are due largely to the substance abuse of data, where amassing data has become an obsession; a form of addiction. The fixation of data, writes Friedman, has lead to a barrage of information, which is confused with expertise, where know-how is confused with wisdom, and change is confused with anything that is new” (Beerel, 107).

Ouch. Busted. 

Sure, leaders need to be learners. However, Beerel contends that “true learning results in transformation” (Beerel, 107). She mentions this within a larger chapter on the psychology of leadership. And yet, she doesn’t stop there. Beerel, more than adequately, reviews key leadership theories and skills, all of which are of great interest to me (remember…I read cereal boxes), and yet, I’m stuck on Page 107 for this particular blog post, not because I didn’t read more than THAT ONE PAGE, but because I am becoming painfully aware that me, myself and I may be my own worst problem.

Let me explain…

Admittedly, my reading obsession has become a form of addiction, and that addiction (the fixation on data) is a key contributing factor to my ongoing anxiety. There I said it. It’s me. I have seen the enemy and it is ME. Solomon, in all his wisdom, was onto something…be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive study and devotion to books is wearying to the body” (Ecc. 12:12). Sure, he may have said that with a cynical tone, like other passages in Ecclesiastes, but his point is noted.

Does that mean that I am giving up on reading books, blogs, news sites, articles, reference summaries, and long-form materials?

Not on your life.

I love books – especially those about leadership, however, I love transformation more.

In June 10, 1815, Thomas Jefferson said something quite profound to John Adams:  “I cannot live without books; but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object.” 

In this quote, Thomas Jefferson is expressing his deep appreciation for books, emphasizing their essential role in his life. I resonate with that, so much so, that I have a wooden plaque of that quote on my, well, bookshelf. However, there is a second part to the quote, and it is not found on my little plaque, perhaps due to the lack of space. It says: “but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object.” 

Yes, to both Jefferson and to John Fehlen, books are indispensable and vital. However, there is an acknowledgment that the quantity of books may need to be reduced if the primary purpose is entertainment rather than the quality of practical use (ie: transformation).

Perhaps Jefferson was “channeling” both Solomon AND Friedman. Perhaps I should pay attention. Perhaps I should go public with a personal challenge for 2024:

John Fehlen will read less and be transformed more. 

I just took a deep breath after writing that sentence. Could I have just taken the first, of many, steps towards the embodiment of a non-anxious presence? Perhaps, I too, am rethinking leadership.

John Fehlen

John Fehlen is currently the Lead Pastor of West Salem Foursquare Church. Prior to that he served at churches in Washington and California. A graduate of Life Pacific University in San Dimas, CA in Pastoral Ministry, and Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, CA with a Masters in Leadership and Spirituality. He and his wife Denise have four grown children and four grandchildren. John is the author of “Intentional Impressions," a book for fathers and their sons, "Don't Give Up: Encouragement for Weary Souls in Challenging Times," a book for pastoral leaders, and "The Way I See You," a children's book. You can connect with John on Instagram (@johnfehlen) as well as on his blog (johnfehlen.com).

11 responses to “Rethinking Reading”

Hi John,

I felt like I was on a rollercoaster reading your blog. Thanks for the ride! I love your enthusiasm for reading, my mother was the same way. She would read any and everything and I gained my love for reading and writing from her, but not to the extent that you have shared. Like you, I found myself stuck on ONE PAGE…page 126. Beerel really spoke to my current challenge with Culture and Leadership. BTW…I don’t think I believe that you will read less. I think it’s your happy place. Embrace it!

• mm John Fehlen says:

May I ask…what on page 126 about leadership and culture was helpful to you in your current challenge?

• mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

This was most helpful:
        “Culture is the embodied values, principles, and practices underlying the social fabric of an organization. Culture underpins the organization’s actions and reactions and connects stakeholders to each other and to the company’s purpose and processes. Culture is the glue that holds an organization together and unties people around shared assumptions, beliefs, and practices.”

Culture underpins the organizaiton…it is the glue! I couldn’t move past that.

John, it’s funny that you wrote about this topic, given that I was waffling a bit on how much to reference the books I’ve read over the past 1.5 years in an upcoming talk I’m giving to an organization on leadership in a few weeks. I wanted to actually start the presentation with “here’s a few books I’ve read that you should pick up” but then I read your post and your message from a friend with the screenshot (and the group I will speak to in February includes many younger leaders who undoubtedly have families and small children running around). Maybe I’ll just reference ONE book. But probably not. I, too, like books, though admittedly not nearly as much as you do. I can’t imagine reading as much as I have read, however, during this doctorate if our three children were still in the home. Alas, they have all left the nest and are now early into their careers (though one has a bit of college left, but he already has work set up…in Texas).

• mm John Fehlen says:

These last 3 days I have been leading a conference for larger church pastors, and a number of younger leaders approached me asking how I have been able to read as much as I have over the years. I gave a few pointers that apply to me (mainly, that I don’t sleep well, so I get up early and read). But then I remembered that they have young children, etc.

It brought to mind a time that I went to a John Maxwell event. He spoke and asked that we write out one question for him and submit it and he’d try to answer as many as he can.

I asked “What would you say to us in the crowd that have young families? You are speaking as a (then) middle aged man with kids out of the home. That isn’t my experience. Please help.”

He didn’t get to my question. But now I’m the age that John Maxwell WAS, and it’s helpful for me to be reminded of that moment at his seminar, and continually put myself it the mindset of a younger leader.

Addicted to reading. That used to describe me, but then life intruded.

Pushing the idea of GoodSports Ukraine through my international board has been infuriating and my wife thought I would be heading for a heart attack!

Sadly I don’t default to the styles of leadership we have read. I follow to an old Army adage, “Lead, Follow, or get out of the way.” Some dogs never learn new tricks.

Jennifer your words and depth of knowledge are as always brilliant.

Today Stephanie Flohr age 70 arrived in Odesa (Одеса) Ukraine. She will minister to widows and seniors (Stephanie lost her husband 3 years ago). I asked her if she had purchased her body armor and she said she has Ephesians 6. Wow.

Nate Gerber leaves 9 Feb. First to GoodSports Slovakia (Prievidze) then through Poland, to Lyviv where I have asked him to attend a Ukrainian Sports Conference. Then Kharkiv to work with Redemption Church initially to deliver food (Samaritans purse) to elderly in three villages. Too old to move, these folk on the border with Russia are in survival mode. Moving however is something to hard to contemplate.

On Saturday I speak to Penuel (where Jacob wrestled with God), they have 300 children and need another field.

When I look at all of the resources you mentioned, I wonder how they could help me “lead” in these circumstances.

Моє лідерство зараз перевіряється. Батьку, дай мені мудрість. (My leadership is being tested now. Father, give me wisdom.)

Selah….

4. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi John! Thank you for your genuine thoughts. I like it!

As an international friend of yours, every time I see your post regarding the list of books you have every month, creates a feeling of great admiration for you. I always think there must be an abundance of knowledge within John. Maybe it could be said that I also envy your time and ability to absorb so much reading.
    You write, “Admittedly, my reading obsession has become a form of addiction, and that addiction (the fixation on data) is a key contributing factor to my ongoing anxiety. There I said it. It’s me. I have seen the enemy and it is ME.”
    In my opinion, your reading habit still needs to be maintained. Some so many people need you regarding this matter. There is a wise sentence that says, you are what you eat. But in your context, the sentence says, you are what you read. Your leadership must also be formed from the many quality reading books you read.

I am so glad that you highlighted that sentence: “true learning results in transformation.” I have a slightly different lens as a person who is spending a significant amount of time these days training leaders in concepts that I think are really important. Recently, my team and I have started greatly reducing the information we are passing on to them in hopes that less is more. If I give someone 45 great change management tools, but they never use them because they are overwhelmed or are never given the time to apply them… well, I have just wasted my time, even if they love the class. Instead, if I give them only 3, and they have time in my class to actually apply them, is it better?

Regardless, as I head into a class this morning, this quote will be in my head.
    My musings.

There are three abbreviations I think of when reading your blog….QOR, QOR and QOP… Quantity of Reading, Quality of Reading and Quality of Presence. In your quest of transformation I wonder if it lands in that simple little and between Quality of Reading and Quality of Presence. Reading real good books AND put them immediately into practice of Quality of your Presence, to yourself and others? Just. a wonderment :). I’m way jealous that you love reading that much and that you have a job and life that supports it….I’m in the opposite right now, but it’s just a season right?