Restless Spirit

In this writing I will analyze two concepts within William T. Cavanaugh’s book, Economics and Christian Desire. One I agree with and the other I hold in question.

The first idea is the relentless quest for goods that we as consumers have and the second involves his ideas regarding multiculturalism. Cavanaugh explains that it is not the attainment of goods that makes consumers happy, but the challenge of searching for the goods. He states, “Consumerism is a restless spirit that is never content with any particular material thing.” (49) He explains that the pleasure derives from wanting not possessing, and as soon the novelty becomes familiar then the appeal wanes. However, he also notes that not all desire is bad for desire is what gets us out of bed in the morning. The monotheistic transcendent God, the Creator of all things is the one to be desired, not necessarily the time-bound things of this world. In reading Cavanaugh’s ideas, the story of the Garden of Eden in Genesis came to mind. Our human desire for things forbidden evidently came early in our existence. The fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was appealing, but once attained brought nothing but despair and contempt. In order to keep up with the dissatisfaction of the familiar, retailers and sales companies must keep up with product demand and competition.

Cavanaugh details that the spiritual human aspirations are sought in material things; and companies use abstract and spiritual concepts to sell their goods. He explains, “Things and brands must be invested with mythologies, with spiritual aspirations; things come to represent freedom, status, and love. Above all, they represent the aspiration to escape time and death by constantly seeking renewal in created things” (540). In the cosmetic advertisement above we understand that bareMinerals makeup is associated with making a woman, not only pretty (which is good), but amazing! In fact, she can be a “force” of beauty. Who doesn’t want to be a “force of beauty” in the world? Images of bright flowers, colorful birds and sparkling waterfalls come to mind when I think of “forces of beauty;” and I want to be in that category. I will be shopping for bareMinerals makeup after writing this essay. 🙂 jk

I wonder how much of this desire comes from a lack of “experiencing” the divine; and searching for the lack of joy, amazement, excitement, etc. in the knowledge that there are clothes, toys, and technology out there that we don’t yet have. And somehow we deceive ourselves into believing that the attainment will bring satisfaction to our relentless cravings.

The idea that I would like to push back on is found in his statement, “Beyond simple and laudable attempts to include those who are different in our institutions, multiculturalism as an ideology is in fact postcultural or anticultural; it subjects every culture to the withering hegemony of cultural relativism and individual choice.” Actually, the only concept in this statement that I agree with is “laudable attempts.” I think “attempts” are important because the opposite of this is either disinterest, conscious ignorance, and/or “no attempts” which can only bring failure to groups and individuals. No attempts would clearly be an anti-Christian sentiment. I completely disagree with his idea that multiculturalism “…subjects every culture to the withering hegemony of cultural relativism and individual choice.” After teaching alongside philosophy and religious studies professors and instructors over the past six years I have yet to meet one that views the concept of “relativism” as more than an absurd conceptual fad which trips over itself as its very meaning becomes relative. He also includes “individual choice” in this process which is perplexing. Yes, individual choice is important, as is freedom of religion and cultural identity.

Overall, I truly enjoyed his ideas regarding consumerism and free trade as well as his views on the consumption of and the all-consuming idea of the Eucharist. This is an interesting and important read. #dminlgp #lgp3 #cavanaugh

gfesadmin