Reading Books to Read Culture

If I had to describe Mortimer Adler’s How to Read a Book in one word, I would say it is ‘thorough’. As helpful as Adler attempts to be in sharing the methods and insights on reading productively and for various purposes, much of the content is so thorough with illustrations and redundancy, I found myself either forced to analyze or primarily inspect the content as a whole. The verbosity with which his points are made caused me to appreciate his work on a level I did not expect. Through the well-outlined and prolific content, Adler taught me to be a better inspectional reader. I was unwilling to read the book word for word and found myself uncomfortable the more I tried. I then flipped to the back of the text to look through the conclusion, index and appendices to see what useful tools were available to apply the content (and I particularly appreciated the quizzes in Appendix B).

I did find the book useful for its primary content. Learning the four reading levels, how they build upon one another and acknowledging when to switch from one level to another depending on the content and use is extremely helpful as a doctoral student. My tendency to read a book for elementary or analytical purposes is being restricted because of the Leadership and Global Perspectives program, which again is a good thing. As Adler states, “We do not have to know everything about something in order to understand it; too many facts are often as much of an obstacle to understanding as too few.”[1] There is a freedom in recognizing I can read a portion of something and although I am not an expert I can comprehend enough to be competent. In addition, Adler’s text gives language for the ways in which books can be read so I can loosen my grip on content that does not interest me or does not fit my current scope of learning.

In thinking through the content of each level and how they are used, I begin to see ways Adler’s reading methods could be applied to various types of literature, such as the news, and even in various disciplines such as reading culture or the church. After visiting South Africa and returning home to another mass shooting in the United States, I feel the need to both research using the skills from Adler and then also utilize his work as another tool to navigate the world around us.

I understand that using Adler’s methods of reading to pragmatically read culture may seem to miss the point of his book, but I think both are necessary. We need to read books at a variety of levels depending on the time and need. We also must read our world at each level Adler mentions.

My interpretation of taking the four levels of reading into a practical application would look something like:

The First Level of Reading Culture: Elementary

Take everything in, listen and acknowledge what is. This level of reading the culture, just as in reading a book is not as much for meaning as it is to simply observe to understand. One widely used source for understanding culture at the elementary level is social media. Platforms such as Facebook and Instagram are available primarily for posting photos, videos and links with the intention of readers receiving the content provided. The culture widely supported on these sites is one of acknowledgment with simple clicks to add how the content makes the reader feel.[2]

The Second Level of Reading Culture: Inspectional

To be an inspectional reader of culture one must be more mindful, interested and personally present. Inspectional reading suggests an interest by the reader and when reading culture, one does not read it with a mind to stand apart from the culture but to learn with an interest in participation. One might use inspection to determine whether their family will join in a community recycling program based on reading a website, asking community members about their experiences with the program and seeking to understand the end goals for recycled products.

The Third Level of Reading Culture: Analytical

Being an analytical reader of culture considers the details of current and historic happenings, specific structures in place and particular messages given by key figures in the culture studied. Analytical reading digs in to not only understand the whole and its parts but also to critique the content by digesting it well. When researching a church culture it is necessary to analyze the gatherings, people, theology, spoken and lived values, polity, language used in the community, historical roots to the movement and the current context. An analytical read of culture will be the most in depth and time consuming level of reading within the single group.

The Fourth Level of Reading Culture: Syntopical

A syntopic read on culture would compare a minimum of two cultures with one another to learn and understand the questions of life and culture more clearly. Being guided by a specific topic such as racism or separation of races may guide one to choose a particular set of cultures over others. As research across cultures is conducted a general perspective or set of facts will likely emerge on the topic.

As I have reinterpreted Adler’s way of intellectually reading, I have recognized this can be translated to many contexts including politics, family systems and so on. I believe our world needs critical thinkers who can read well at all levels of both written and lived content.

[1] Adler, Mortimer J, and Charles Van Doren. How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading, Revised edition (New York: Touchstone, 1972). 4.

[2] I recognize readers analyze many controversial posts but on the whole, fewer people are posting for analysis, but would rather have others receive their content at an elementary level.

Trisha Welstad

Trisha is passionate about investing in leaders to see them become all God has created them to be. As an ordained Free Methodist elder, Trisha has served with churches in LA and Oregon, leading as a pastor of youth and spiritual formation, a church planter, and as a co-pastor of a church restart. Trisha currently serves as leadership development pastor at Northside Community Church in Newberg, OR. Over the last five years Trisha has directed the Leadership Center, partnering with George Fox and the Free Methodist and Wesleyan Holiness churches. The Leadership Center is a network facilitating the development of new and current Wesleyan leaders, churches and disciples through internships, equipping, mentoring and scholarship. In collaboration with the Leadership Center, Trisha serves as the director of the Institute for Pastoral Thriving at Portland Seminary and with Theologia: George Fox Summer Theology Institute. She is also adjunct faculty at George Fox University. Trisha enjoys throwing parties, growing food, listening to the latest musical creations by Troy Welstad and laughing with her two children.

14 responses to “Reading Books to Read Culture”

Thanks Trisha,

I appreciated how you incorporated Adler’s principles into you daily life. I was looking at how it would help me in the future; the next book I read. I like how you brought it home to help me think about using these techniques in conversations, be it online or in person, to help us truly be critical thinkers and problem solvers.

I was also reminded that in comments or post on instant message systems like facebook, not a lot of thought or critical thinking has taken place. I know you labeled that in the elementary section but I wish it them to be written with an inspectional and thought considering the culture beyond themselves.

How can we move those we have influence with to broaden the understanding of their responsibility for their words and expressed thoughts? Thanks for helping me think about this in a different light.

• Trisha Welstad says:

Thanks Greg. I often write very little on social media that is not beyond elementary level myself unless I do it in a subversive way, like communicating an experience that I have had that contains deep meaning with the hope that others will think a little more deeply as well. To me it seems that we have to help teach people to be good critical thinkers and readers and the best platforms I can think of doing that is face to face with people. Even sermons seem to be given in a way in which the hearers are expected to drink it in as is. Well, that’s another topic all together and I am preaching three times in the next week and a half so let’s not go there. 😉

2. Jennifer Williamson says:

Hey Trisha, I love how you moved to reading culture through the four levels, and I think your analysis of what that would look like is great. I wonder how many of us were intentionally “reading” the South African culture. Today, as I was riding a bike through Lyon, I was reminded of something I observed in Cape Town I was taking a walk with Mary, and I noticed that there were paths designated as sidewalks, and paths designated as bike paths. As soon as I ntoiced, I realized we had been walking in the bike path, and I moved over to the path that was meant for walkers. As we continued on, we eventually crossed some other Portland Seminary students, and they were walking in the other direction…in the bike path. This was a really small thing, but it is a perfect example of something that required a person to “read” their context. If one comes from a city where there is no such thing as a bike path, one might not even think to look out for such a distinction. All of that to say, sometimes we miss things because we don’t know what we are looking for, or even that there is something to see. In this way, a cultrual “reader” must first figure out what the letters and words are in any given given cultural context. Where would this type of thing fall in your levels of cultrual reading?

• Trisha Welstad says:

We totally walked on the bike path! Oh my. I am such a tourist.

I think the letters and words float somewhere between level one and two. At first it seems they would obviously be what you learn as you begin to step into a culture, like learning the language to communicate. Yes, that makes sense but at the level of inspection it’s cruising through a culture to discover, ask questions and begin to adapt to what’s present, using major themes or people in the community as guides to help you navigate. That’s just my take. I would be glad to hear your perspective as one who has adapted to a whole new culture.

3. david says:

Trisha!
    Thanks for this post. I had to smile as I saw the way you organized your writing. Clearly lining out each point and showing what you meant. It was very Adler-esque, if I may so so!
    I think we’re all being challenged, as you wrote, by the “freedom” that we are trying to take hold of as readers and learners. I always struggle to find that good tension point between structure and freedom. It sounds like you’re working that out as well.

• Trisha Welstad says:

I love outlines and section headings! I wish all non-fiction books had them. And yes, I am learning to let go a bit of my grip on reading every page. Thanks to Jason, this program and having a toddler, I will learn to read less with more purpose.

Hi Trish,

I hope that Chapel went well! I was able to spend the week with the head of the Global Wesleyan Alliance (Ron Duncan), as well as my counterpart from Portland (Randy Meyers). Randy is looking forward to your phone call invitation to your next gathering.

Now, if I could comment on your post. I think yours in the most organized and well written of the week. It was easy to track, and I found myself breezing through your writing. Well done.

Jay

• Trisha Welstad says:

Thanks Jay. I am enjoying all of our posts and am amazed at how many different and good quotes we all came up with in this dense book.

I am looking forward to meeting Randy. Chapel went really well. One week down, two to go!

Trisha,
    Right on. I was challenged to read more intentionally as well. I’m nervous about slipping back into old habits and simply sitting down to read each page because in some ways it’s easier. I’m not sure how I will be able to keep this practice at the forefront of my mind throughout this program but I hope it can become second nature.

6. Great post Trisha! By the way, you must be reading the culture pretty well at George Fox from the amazing feedback I am hearing from you speaking at chapel. Way to go! I appreciated your post giving the idea to apply the principles from the book to other aspects of life and I appreciated you tipping me off to the resource in the appendix. Had such fun with you in Cape Town and look forward to meeting your hubby at the end of the month.

Trisha,

Thanks for your comment, “There is a freedom in recognizing I can read a portion of something and although I am not an expert I can comprehend enough to be competent.” I agree, depending on the reader’s background and experience level, there is great value in being able to relate and personalize the material under investigation.

Adler’s book is one of those you can quickly reference for a thought or idea that was scanned into your subconscious level when reviewing, reading, or glancing at some material while day dreaming or thinking about something else. I like Kindle for this type of word or idea search. It is fast, and I usually find what I was looking for, plus enough material in the “results found” section to generate more links and ideas for consideration.

Example: I fly airplanes. I know if I pull back on the flight controls the trees get smaller, if I push forward the trees get bigger. That simple understanding of aerodynamics, like you referenced, opens up vast possibilities when reading to find solutions.

Thanks for your post. Here is a closing Adler quote, “Your primary obligation is not to become competent in the subject matter but instead to understand the problem” (258).

• Trisha Welstad says:

Mike, I somehow missed that quote at the end but really appreciate your adding it here. Yes, understanding the problem is a higher goal than just competence. That is good reading and induces good thinking on my part. Understanding the problem is the key in this program which makes me think about my reading with a little more depth even now.

8. Jason Turbeville says:

Trisha,

I think you brought out the best idea when you talked about incorporating the principles into reading the culture. As ministers the thing we must never forget is being able to speak to the culture we are in so we are able to speak the truth of Christ into those who are in our lives. This seems to be one of the hardest things for the church to historically do, but it is well worth the effort.

Wow Trisha, great post! You did a great job of demonstrating how one person’s interpretation of a text may actually be different from another’s. It is so very obvious that you are a highly analytical reader in that you are not just reading, but truly evaluating every word as you go. Part of my greatest struggles with reading in general is that I do not know how to stop my mind from thinking in a barrage of directions with every word. For that reason, I came to a similar conclusion on the four directions, because frankly, my reading seems to go more directions than that most days.

In the religious context, I am always in analytical mode, and can find myself so caught up in a study that hours pass with realizing it. However when reading for fun, I can get so caught up in a story, my imagination just takes off and before I realize it, I have been daydreaming about where I thought the story should go that I have failed to even read to the next page. Perhaps it is a way of letting the story just relax my brain for a while.

I especially liked what you said about the synoptic level in that when we, as biblical scholars, study the bible, one of the most difficult tasks we have is the connection between text that were written thousands of years ago and the application that they have on a modern church. So many divisions take place between interpretation, culture, race, gender, and even preference that reading can become corrupted by the interpreter. It is a fine line we must walk between knowing the truth and seeing what we desire to see.