Racism: A Worldwide Wicked Problem

“To tell the story of one, we also must tell the story of the other.”[1]

I began reading Kenan Malik’s book, Not so Black and White: A History of Race from White Supremacy to Identity Politics as a fascinating history and social science text tracing the invention of equality, race, and white identity. I immediately noted the focus on the America and European perspective, history, and thought progression. Malik opens Part One writing of four interwoven narratives: 1. Retelling the story of race; 2. The resistance to racism and colonialism and how resistance expanded the meaning of equality; 3. The relationship between race and class; and 4. The emergence of modern identity politics.[2] In Part Two he proposes the necessity of a universalist perspective.[3]

Malik identifies the historical roots of identity politics stating, “….it [identity politics] developed in the late eighteenth century and its primary expression was that of race.”[4] Noting the great economic and social changes of the sixteenth through eighteen centuries Malik highlights the significant shifts socially and intellectually during the Enlightenment which contributed to the cries for revolution and freedom.[5] This reminds me of what Karl Polanyi described as the commodification of land, labor, and money.[6] The commodification of which lent itself to abuses of power and inequality. As working class and immigrant populations became racialized, it wasn’t just about skin color, but ability, intellect, religion, and social class which defined one’s place in the world.

Though fascinating, this historical account piqued my curiosity about racism in the rest of the world and particularly in Asia where I witnessed racism, gender and class inequality on a regular basis. No one ever talked about it largely due to the lack of free speech. This is not to say that people were in favor of such injustices, but possibly unwilling to address the issues, increase their awareness of racism in their context, or willing to accept that identifying and maintaining differences creates social stability along the lines of what Malik noted, “Implicit in it [race] was the notion of progress, of certain peoples and nations and civilizations as having advanced and as being superior.[7]

These observations and reflections led me on a rabbit trail, that turned out to be quite interesting and may prove helpful with giving voice to an issue that is only recently being discussed in Asia. My impromptu research into racism in an Asian context barely scratched the surface, but I am pleased with my discoveries.

Maybe a broader global understanding of racism is needed?

Alastair Bonnett, author of Multiracism: Rethinking Racism in a Global Context, argues that racism comes in many different varieties and is just beginning to be called out in Asia.[8] However, because racism is defined and experienced quite differently in the Western world, it makes calls for debate more challenging. Bonnett notes, “American models of identity and difference continue to be globalized, pushing Asian realities to the sidelines.”[9] Sylvia Ang notes, that much of the debate revolves around a White/non-White binary that may mask the issue.[10] In other words, racism may be viewed as a western problem, easily denied, and the topic avoided. To make matters worse, Asian world leaders are resistant to hearing from Western counterparts about their human rights abuses of racial minorities.[11] Given our slave and colonial histories, not to mention our ongoing struggles, this is understandable.

Asia is equally complex when it comes to race, identity, and social injustice. Asia represents a unique blend of racial, ethnic, cultural, linguistic, and religious diversity, and long histories of migration, imperialism, and colonialism. Parvati Raghuram notes, “Asia… has a different racial hierarchization, which has emerged sometimes in parallel and unconnected to Western racisms, but sometimes entangled with it.[12] Below is a list of well-known events in Southeast Asia with possible roots in racism.

• China’s rule of Vietnam for 1000 years
  • Colonialism: the Dutch in Indonesia, the Spanish in the Philippines, the Portuguese in East Timor, the French in Vietnam and as a protectorate of Cambodia, and the English in Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong
  • WWII Japanese invasion of Southeast Asia
  • Government sponsored persecution of ethnic minorities in Myanmar
  • The persecution of the indigenous peoples in the central highlands of Vietnam
  • The Vietnamese annexation of Cambodia following the Vietnam War
  • The Cambodian genocide under Pol Pot

Raghuram offers insights into race in Asia and asks, “…what exactly is new about race, racism and migration in Asia and why does it matter?”[13] Raghuram argues that the “old Racism” which runs along bloodline has not disappeared and the “new racism” which is socially constructed, is not particularly new, and cultural practices which transcend color have been part of racism for a very long time.[14]

In the words of Alistair Bonnett, “Racism is a worldwide problem with diverse roots and routes. No one country, culture, or race owns it. This makes the problem more complex. It also means that listening to the many different voices and stories of racial discrimination—most of which continue to be sidelined—will need to be at the core of tomorrow’s inclusive societies.”[15]

These “othered” stories of racism and ethnic discrimination are worthy to be told, listened to, and honored because without them we may have an incomplete and distorted view of racism. These stories call us to take notice of the nuanced way racism impacts people around the globe.

[1] Kenan Malik, Not so Black and White: A History of Race from White Supremacy to Identity Politics (London, UK: Hurst & Co. Publishers Ltd., 2023), 3.

[2] Malik, Not so Back and White, 4-6.

[6] Karl Polanyi, The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time (Boston: Beacon Press, 1944, 1957, 2001), 75.

[7] Malik, Not so Black and White, 51.

[8] Alastair Bonnett, “Asia Has Its Own Strands of Racism. It’s Time to Take Them Seriously,” The Diplomat, June 9, 2022, https://thediplomat.com/2022/06/asia-has-its-own-strands-of-racism-its-time-to-take-them-seriously/

[10] Sylvia Ang, “The “New China Town”: The Racialization of Newly Arrived Chinese Migrants to Singapore.” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 44 (7), (2018): 874.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1369183X.2017.1364155

[11] Alastair Bonnett, “Asia Has Its Own Strands of Racism. It’s Time to Take Them Seriously,” The Diplomat, June 9, 2022.

https://thediplomat.com/2022/06/asia-has-its-own-strands-of-racism-its-time-to-take-them-seriously/

[12] Parvati Raghuram, “New Racism or new Asia: what exactly is new and how does race matter?” Ethnic and Racial Studies Vol. 45, No 4 (2022): 783,

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/epdf/10.1080/01419870.2021.1951319

[13] Parvati Raghuram, “New Racism or new Asia,” 779.

[15] Bonnett, “Asia Has Its Own Strands of Racism.”

Jenny Dooley

Jenny served as a missionary in Southeast Asia for 28 years. She currently resides in Gig Harbor, Washington, where she works as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Spiritual Director in private practice with her husband, Eric. Jenny loves to listen and behold the image of God in others. She enjoys traveling, reading, and spending time with her family which include 5 amazing adult children, 3 awesome sons-in-law, a beautiful daughter-in-law, and 8 delightful grandchildren.

10 responses to “Racism: A Worldwide Wicked Problem”

1. mm Kim Sanford says:

Thanks for taking the racism topic in a cross-cultural direction. Ethnic discrimination certainly seems to be a story as old as time, manifesting itself differently in different cultures. It makes me curious (and sad at the same time) what it looks like in other places beyond America, Europe and Asian cultures and even in other time periods.

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Kim,
      Thank you for responding to my post. As I noted, racism isn’t talked about very much in Asia. What is it like in France? Is racism a big topic or an American problem? What do you notice is different in your context?

• mm Kim Sanford says:

Yes, racism is a huge topic here although it looks a little different. I definitely see what Malik says, that it’s as much about discrimination between social classes as the color of anyone’s skin. There are also some very significant differences in lifestyle and culture between various ethnic groups here in France and that can lead to some significant discrimination. That said, I have also heard first-hand stories of flat-out racism, racial profiling by police, etc. and in a way it’s more openly admitted and talked about here.

• Jenny Dooley says:

That’s interesting that racial discrimination is more openly discussed. It was always hard for me to discern if racial and class discrimination were ever openly talked about because of my own language barriers, but it was generally known there existed a lack of free speech and much fear of repercussions. Government persecution of ethnic groups were often kept secret. Though discrimination occurred regularly speaking up and taking action was usually very costly. It was always disturbing to come across armed military personnel gathered around small groups of protestors and during elections.

Finally, a GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE.

You wrote – Asia is equally complex when it comes to race, identity, and social injustice. Asia represents a unique blend of racial, ethnic, cultural, linguistic, and religious diversity, and long histories of migration, imperialism, and colonialism. Parvati Raghuram notes, “Asia… has a different racial hierarchization, which has emerged sometimes in parallel and unconnected to Western racisms, but sometimes entangled with it.

Asians/Orientals/Chinks/Japs (pick a label) have been killing each other for THOUSANDS of years because of angles of slanted eyes (I suppose Ican say that because mine are slanted),

No “color” has the market on racism. It is a product of Babel and the human condition. I wonder if it is a TEST that God set before us when he split us into different colors. Racism would fuel wars, conflicts, lynchings and other horrid sinful behaviors.

White against White (Russia/Ukraine), Brown against Brown (Palestinians/Israel), Yellow versus Yellow (Myanmar junta/Christians).

The list goes on.

Fortunately Putin has the solution Nuclear war on land and in space.

Sigh….Come Lord Jesus!

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Russell,
      Thanks for responding to my post. I sometimes fear that Jesus isn’t going to come back until we figure this out or at least get a whole lot closer. I think every generation has to work it out. I just hope I leave a clear message of the love God has for all people behind for my grandchildren and future generations.

3. mm Pam Lau says:

Jenny,
    I love your last paragraph:
    “These “othered” stories of racism and ethnic discrimination are worthy to be told, listened to, and honored because without them we may have an incomplete and distorted view of racism. These stories call us to take notice of the nuanced way racism impacts people around the globe.”
    Do you think Malik meant for his readers to apply his history of racism to all ethnicities or do you believe he was only writing about Western civilizations? Your post opens my own thinking to his book!

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Pam,
      I think he is writing about the development of racism from a Western and European perspective and history. If I remember correctly he stated his focus and noted that racism can appear different in other parts of the world. I don’t think he went so far as to indicate that racism started in Europe, but he certainly highlighted the influence of European philosophers, scientists, and colonial history which certainly had a global impact, and possibly spread a different kind of racism to other parts of the world.
      Thank you for your response and question.

4. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Jenny,

I like that you relate racism as a Wicked problem. As we talk about this problem, as with all wicked problems, we know it’s unsolvable, but we must engage in the work. In your context, what are you being called to do to solve this wicked problem?

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Jana,
      The word calling in your question has given me pause. It should be a calling! I truly hope racism is not an unsolvable problem and that I have a role to play in untangling it. I think in my context (my NPO being in Southeast Asia) where racism is just being openly discussed the “calling” is found in noticing, listening for, and providing safe spaces for the issues and wounds to be discussed. My question for myself is, how do I attend to those who have been harmed by racism within as a foreigner and as such associated with privilege, colonialism, etc…? I’m not sure how that would be received. I’m curious about how subtle forms of racism might exist within Christian communities in Southeast Asia. Racism is a pretty taboo subject in the region.