Pressing On…

Introduction

This week’s book, Leadership: Theory and Practice by Peter Northouse presents different models of leadership. It is, as Dr. Jason Clark said in our zoom meeting last week, the foundational book on leadership for any student. Northouse’s definition of leadership is the “process whereby an individual influences a group of individuals to achieve a common goal.” [1] There are three sections in this book. The first section is primarily an introduction to the book. The second section is the meat of the book. It features twelve approaches to leadership followed by questions and self-assessments that can be taken at the end of each chapter which I really like. The third section deals with contemporary issues like women in leadership.

My favorite models of leadership in this book that were covered were those of authentic leadership and servant leadership. In the rest of this blog I will discuss these models in greater detail.

Authentic Leadership

According to Matt Gavin of the Harvard Business School Online, Authentic Leadership’s key differentiator is the motivation behind it. For an authentic leader, it is not just about the bottom line, it is also about creating meaningful relationships with their team as they work together toward goals. [2] There are several characteristics of authentic leaders worth noting.

1. They’re committed to bettering themselves.
  2. They cultivate self-awareness.
  3. They’re disciplined.
  4. They’re mission-driven.
  5. They inspire faith. [3]

When I think of authentic leaders in our world today, Dolly Parton comes to mind. She embodies all of these characteristics that are listed above. Certainly, over her lifetime, she has bettered herself from growing up dirt poor in a log cabin in the mountains, to where she is today. She knows her strengths and weaknesses, and plays on them very well. It takes discipline to make it in the music industry, especially as a young woman in the 60s and 70s when she first began. She’s mission-driven. She sets her mind on a goal, and meets it, year after year. She’s still setting goals and meeting them. She hasn’t slowed down. And she inspires faith in anyone who pays attention to her.

Dolly said, “I always ask God to work through me and let me be a light of some kind and help in this world, so I always pray for that, and I always want to do good.” [4]

Servant Leadership

Servant leadership is based on the desire to serve and give to your community. [5] “By putting the needs of others first, you empower people to perform at their best.” [6] Servant leaders focus on others and help them grow, usually without recognition. [7] It is the opposite of most typical leadership theories.

When I think of servant leadership, I think of the ultimate example of a servant leader – that is Jesus Christ. In John 13, the Savior of the world showed his disciples that he was the servant of mankind. He was the greatest servant of all time. Beginning with verse 4 Jesus washes the feet of his disciples before the feast of the Passover. In John 13:16-17, Jesus says, “Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.” Jesus is telling his followers they are blessed if they follow him in this servant lifestyle… this serving with no thought of getting something in return.

Another way that Jesus is an example of servant leadership is in the way he cared for the wayward and the least among the people. Most leaders are about power and demonstrations of strength. Jesus spent time with sinners and healed the sick. He touched lepers and spent time with children. He even went out of his way to speak to a Samaritan woman at the well of Jacob. We read about it in John 4. She was a Samaritan, a woman, and a sinner. And yet, Jesus took up time with her. Ultimately she was saved, she and her whole community! What a testimony!

Because of Christ’s own example, I myself aspire to be a servant leader. There’s a lot of work behind the scenes in servant leadership. There’s a lot of days (years) without recognition. But as Paul says in Philippians 3, “I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.” [8]

______________________________________________________________________

[1] Peter G. Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice 6th ed. (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2013), 5.

[2] Matt Gavin, “Authentic Leadership: What It Is And Why It Is Important” Harvard Business School Online (December 10, 2019) Link.

[4] Movieguide Staff, “Dolly Parton Wants to ‘Be a Light and a Vessel Used’ By God,” Movieguide: The Family Guide to Movies and Entertainment (2020) Link.

[5] Bethany VanBenschoten, “What Is Servant Leadership and How To Apply It,” National Society of Leadership And Success (November 25, 2020) Link.

[8] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles.

Tonette Kellett

Missionary, teacher, Bible student, traveler ... Having lived in Kenya and Korea, I now live in Mississippi and work with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

13 responses to “Pressing On…”

Tonette, Thank you so much for your inspiring blog. I like the way you focused on two leadership models, authentic and servant leadership, and provided examples to highlight for each. I thought it was a great addition to include your own leadership style at the end, as well. I’m left wanting to learn more about these two styles and encouraged to delve into the details a bit more in the future. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and learnings.

Jesus!! That’s what it all comes down to. He makes servent leadership even more of a blessing for the one doing the serving. He is the ultimate example of servant leadership and he is truly the authority on authenticity. Well done, Tonette. Thanks for the post and inspiring nuggets!

Tonette, you truly are a shining example of a servant leader. Your heart to serve others is evident in all you do. Thank you for a great summary and analysis of these two styles of leadership. In what ways has this program expanded your style of leadership and how has this book in particular encouraged you to grow?

• Tonette Kellett says:

Becca,

Great questions! I don’t know if this book has exactly encouraged me to grow as a leader, but it has explained things better to me. How’s that? This program on the other hand has certainly helped me become a better leader! Putting into practice the things we are learning week by week has been transforming for me. And challenging. I’m loving every day of it.

Tonette,
    I agree with my fellow collegues.
    Great blog describing two leadership theories.
    I like Beccas question.
    How are you being challenged as a leader presently? Would either of these theories apply?
    You titled your blog Pressing on… I am curious how this might apply to you? How are you pressing on?
    Kristy

• Tonette Kellett says:

Kristy,

Sometimes it is difficult being a servant in a “all-about-me” materialistic world. In that sense, I’m pressing on to be of a servant mindset, to think of others before myself, and to serve as a leader with this in mind. That is what I mean when I say I am pressing on. I may not always get it right, but that is the goal I work toward.

Great post. Was Dolly Parton an inspiration to you prior to reading the book? She certainly is an inspiring example in a number of ways. Do you have a similar contemporary example of a servant leader that you look to as an example in your work?

• Tonette Kellett says:

Chad,

Actually, I do… the principal at our school is an excellent example of a servant leader. He’s a humble man with a servant’s heart. He leads the school as Christ would, by example – not by command. If something needs doing, he is the first in line to take care of it, instead of always barking orders at others. He’s not too high and mighty to mop a floor, pick up trash or drive a bus. He definitely comes straight to mind when I think of this model of leadership.

6. Tonette – Excellent post highlighting authentic leadership and servant leadership. I’m curious WHY you chose to focus on those two models? Please tell me more about that!

• Tonette Kellett says:

Laura,

That’s a good question. I chose servant leadership because of my relationship with Christ. I long to be more like Him in every area of my life, even in the way that I lead. I think I chose authentic leadership because I’m drawn to the characteristics of it… especially bettering oneself and inspiring faith in others. Honestly, I think that’s it.

7. mm Shonell Dillon says:

Great post. As a servant leader what area do you see yourself leading in after you have finished the program.