Politics can’t be a dirty game!

Introduction: As I share what I have gleaned from Dr. Petrusek’s work, I believe his work, like many other bold believers, is very important in encouraging people of faith to step out into a hostile world and engage culture boldly in faith. As someone who has seen a good share of instability due to conflicts and civil unrest, I will add a few comments of my own regarding religion and politics.

Impressive Work

Looking at Dr. Petrusek’s credentials, his work so far proves he has done a fantastic job studying his craft. Dr. Petrusek specializes in Christian ethics and moral theology, and he received an MA at Yale University and a PhD in religion and ethics from the University of Chicago. He is a professor of Catholic Ethics and Assistant Director at the Word on Fire Institute.

My Summary

In Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to Political Culture, Matthew R. Petrusek has not only done an excellent job of revealing the outstanding work of social good done by Catholics but has also challenged us not to fear but to boldly proclaim the good news of Jesus amidst this hostile secular culture. He is helping us deal with our over politicized culture and hopefully make a difference in how we engage our community with faith rather than fear. Dr. Petrusek reveals to us that the secular ideologies of our day, namely utilitarianism, classical liberalism/libertarianism, progressivism/wokeism, and non-theistic conservatism, have much to do with the errors and deficiencies of the current political decay. [1]

Bishop Barron says it best referring to the work of Dr. Petrusek.

“Petrusek shows how catholic teaching while respecting the genuine concerns of these worldviews, responds to their errors and deficiencies by providing a more rational and moral alternative.”[2]

Bishop Barron adds a statement that I unfortunately find very true. Many people would rather stay away from anything politics.

For many, the best way forward for the Church is steering clear of the sociopolitical arena altogether. But there is hope: Our hyper-politicized society is an opportunity for evangelization rather than an obstacle. Evangelization and ideology offer readers an understanding of the roots of our broken political culture and a map for redirecting it back to the transcendent God and the authentic human good.[3]

Politics can’t be a dirty game!

Many people have chosen to stay away from politics, calling it a dirty game. Who would then dare join Politics? Christians, especially, are attempting to live pure and holy, serving Jesus as a model of Love, Joy, and Peace.

There is a quote that I love attributed to Edmund Burke, though others say it is falsely attributed to him, saying that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. When good men decide to remain uninvolved in politics for a very long time, politics might as well fall back to the opposite side (in the devil’s corner).

Created to be like Jesus

We were created to be like Jesus, aren’t we? In response to my friend’s question in a recent blog, I mentioned Romans 8:28 as my place of solace. I think that a more difficult task is in the verse that follows (Rom. 8:29). We are to be conformed to the image of God’s Son, and becoming like Jesus on this side of heaven must be the most challenging task. We would instead wait till the time we see him face to face in our glorious mansions, which he promised us, rather than agreeing to identify with him in his suffering and pain. Jesus was and will always be our model, a servant who did not spare life and comfort as a heavenly King taking our sinners’ place till Calvary’s cross.

Conclusion

We may not all be called to become politicians, but we might look for ways to engage culture with the salt and light of the gospel than we have done before. If it takes full engagement in politics for some, may the will of God be done, I will cast the first vote. When I took Resilience on the Wings of Joy as my doctoral project, I referred to a need for being vulnerable and possibly getting wounded for authentic relational connection. That is the only place where authentic trust leads to healing. Without this kind of openness and selfless service, progress toward who God created us to be and to maximize our potential in this world for his glory will not occur.

[1] Petrusek, R. Matthew, Evangelization, and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to Political Culture (Word on Fire Institute, Park Ridge, IL 60068, 2023), Kindle.

[2] Bishop Robert Barron, “Word on Fire,” Arguing Religion: A Bishop Speaks at Facebook and Google (blog), January 1, 2019, books.wordonfire.org/evangelizationandideology.

[3] Bishop Robert Barron.

Jean de Dieu Ndahiriwe

Jean de Dieu Ndahiriwe is a Clinical Correctional Chaplain and former Child Refugee from War-torn Rwanda. A member of the Maxwell Leadership Certified Team, Jean is passionate about Servant Leadership and looks forward to seeing more leaders that inspire Lasting Peace and Justice for all, especially "the least of these".

10 responses to “Politics can’t be a dirty game!”

1. mm Becca Hald says:

Jean, thank you for sharing. You wrote, “Bishop Barron adds a statement that I unfortunately find very true. Many people would rather stay away from anything politics.” I admit, I am one who would rather stay out of politics, but I also understand the importance and the privilege of voting. I think there is a balance we need to find as followers of Christ – a balance between doing nothing and trying to do too much. There are no easy answers, but, as you say, I will continue to look for ways to be salt and light.

2. Tonette Kellett says:

Jean,

Thank you for your post. You are a wonderful example of a Christian being salt and light where you are placed. Thank you for your friendship.

• You are so kind, Tonette.
      I thought of you while interacting with a native inmate in my care. She told me she is struggling to find herself worthy of the good life (driving, living in a good house, and maximizing her education) while her people are living in the worst life situations on reservations. I thought that as a missionary to natives, you would have a much better answer!
      Thanks again for shining bright among the native communities.

3. mm Chad McSwain says:

JDD,

I was drawn to your conclusion:

“I referred to a need for being vulnerable and possibly getting wounded for authentic relational connection. That is the only place where authentic trust leads to healing.”

I absolutely agree. I find that this is the best way – Christ centered way – to lead with true change. That is not always easy and requires courage to lead the way. I look forward to hearing more about your project!

4. Chad,
    Thanks my friend. Christ-centered way indeed, may we look at Christ for our empowerment and Change ourselves and others.

5. Jean De,

Like Chad, I was drawn to your conclusion. Great Post.

6. mm David Beavis says:

Hey Jean,

Thank you for your insights. I was compelled by the admonition to not be on the sidelines, but to be engaged in the cultural/political conversations. How would you advise doing this as followers of Jesus without getting co-opted into the Christian Nationalism we see doing great damage in the American church?

• Thanks, David,
      You have a great point here, and I wish I had an answer. The challenge is the lack of an authentic, apolitical, unified voice among the faith leaders.
      One solution is to have a strong leadership voice from Christian leaders, united by faith and not divided along political or racial lines (I haven’t seen one). Hopefully, this group of faith leaders can work together to silence these Christian Nationalism tendencies.
      I also think if more people of faith could be bold enough to take political offices, it would make a difference, and I am confident if we got more people of faith in politics, we could start to see more values-based, people-centric servant leadership policies that honor God and help lead more like Jesus.
      I am not naïve to suggest it is simple or this world will become heaven; good, Godly values have brought America where it is. The more people try to move away from godliness instead of instilling godly values, the more danger ahead.