Our Quickly Changing World

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s prophetic voice from May 1983 both depicts the very vivid situation of the USSR of the day and bluntly challenges today’s Christian to evaluate their role in society.[1] His clear and honest description of where humankind has lost sight of personal morality and the effect on the overall decay of society. I am personally challenged to look within my own character to see where I have pursued “material success” at the expense of “worthy spiritual growth.”[2] This is particularly important when looking for and accessing current sources of input.

I found George Friedman’s The Next Hundred Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century,[3]to be provide a geopolitical prophetic voice. This book was written at the beginning of the 21st Century to predict the shifts of power, resources, and political strength. Friedman highlights which countries will have significant roles in world influence, specifically, Poland, China, Russia, and Ukraine. He talks about the significance of migration, water, control of the airwaves, and war. I also found his perception of US foreign policy as being one that creates more chaos, due to its similarities to the behavior of adolescences.

Personally, I am looking for individuals that can substantiate their position with documentation and are willing to entertain an opposing point of view. In our current polarized climate, it is difficult to find people that can disagree with one another and still be in an open conversation. The strength of a source is in the depth and breadth of its contributors.

I have three sources I go to on a regular basis. Two of these sources tend to be more conservative voices. The third source is more of relevant source for current conversations around leadership in today’s workplace.

The place I go to for a broader national and North American perspective is Wendy Bell Radio.[4] Wendy Bell was a news anchor and reporter for many years. Her research skills are demonstrated in her documentation. She posts the documentation she cites in the resources on her webpage. She will ferret out sources from government sites, conservative, liberal, as well as inside and outside of the US. Bell regularly brings in correspondents from Canada and Mexico to share the situation on the ground.

The second source I go to on a regular basis is Brandi Kruse and her podcast UnDivided.[5] Kruse is a former Seattle local political news reporter, who has gone independent. She is a Libertarian. Her logical stance and fearlessness to ask the hard questions of local politicians from all sides of an issue is reminiscent of Solzhenitsyn’s candor.

Finally, for input that is more leadership related, I listen to Brené Brown’s podcast, Dare to Lead.[6] Brown covers a wide variety of leadership topics and conversations with interesting individuals.

The current events of the day often make me want to dig a hole and bury my head in it. But for me these voices are able to provide some insight as to what is going on.

[1] Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, “‘Men Have Forgotten God’: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s 1983 Templeton Address,” National Review, December 11, 2018.

[3] George Friedman, The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century, 1st ed (New York: Doubleday, 2009).

[4] “Wendy Bell Radio,” n.d., https://wendyradio.com/get-the-apps.

[5] Brandi Kruse, “UnDivided,” n.d.

[6] Brené Brown, “Dare to Lead,” n.d., https://brenebrown.com/podcast-show/dare-to-lead/.

Denise Johnson

Special Education teacher K-12, School Counselor K-12, Overseas field worker in Poland,