Once Upon A Time- Faith in America

This is the real story of religion in America. For all its piety and fervor, today’s United States needs to be recognized for what it really is: not a Christian country, but a nation of heretics...”[1]
Image result for African American Fairy TalesGrowing up as a young girl, I have seen a lot of fairy tales. Each fairy tale had strife, issue identification, and some sort of resolution. “Once upon a time” became a novel prefix to my life. Like most children my age, I grew up surrounded by every Disney fairy-tale. They made every story something to be desired. Something that was chased and obtained. So for me I knew I had much to accomplish.  I grew up as an oldest of four children. My parents chose to home school us at an early age. Post preschool, I remember having all of my early education from my mother.  Until I was in the third grade, I spent every grade from preschool to second grade in a home school environment. I had my best learning opportunities in home school. Every morning at 7 am I said my pledge of allegiance to the United States Flag, my Christian pledge of allegiance and sang the Black National Anthem. This was our daily ritual in home school. Ross Douthat wrote that “the spread of the Christian home-schooling movement represents an ecumenical attempt to create religious subcultures in-corrupted by the secular culture and the bureaucratic state.“[2] While his statement may be perceptive truth magnified amongst various contributors. One has to beg the question, how do Christian sub cultures continue to foster their beliefs in a culture that negates what it means to be a Christian? I believe in my context I have been able to go through life continuing to discover what it means to be a Christ like presence on earth.  I found it humorous that while reading his conclusion he made the statement “Jesus never said that the gates of hell would not prevail against the United States of America“[3]. The reason being, I know so many Christians in America who feel as though we are so blessed. As if we are far removed from ever experiencing hell. It is as if they have hand picked those who will spend eternity there.

Fast forward to my current scenario, our son is attending a Charter school. He is learning Mandarin and also growing into what it means to become a young man. We have found that he now prefers to understand his world in the Chinese culture which includes speaking in  Mandarin and still maintain his understanding in English.It is not very uncommon for an American to want to immerse themselves into another language while still living in the the United States. As parents, although we do not fluently speak the language by which he chooses to grow in and communicate. We support him in his endeavors to grow, learn and obtain cultural experiences that may be beneficial to his learning experience. Even as far as to ask his teacher to translate his prayers so that he can pray in the language he feels the most comfortable. In reading Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics by Ross Douthat, He discusses how our religion has brought disdain on our faith by the way in which we practice and are encouraged to demontrate our faith in this country. Last week, we discussed the varying essays that appeared in the works of James Hunter. His works invoked a dedication to a full understanding the Christian climate in Amerca. He attempted to formulate an argument  that did not weigh on the side for validation for current Christian witness but one that ensured that everyone involved understood the importance of  a faithful incarnational presence we have to foster in our society in order to bypass the stigmas and bridge the gap within our communities.  Going beyond our innate feelings and ability, I am willing to acknowledge trade offs that exist contextually based on our community engagements. I don’t think we can, ,in 2017, attempt to pacify the political involvement or circumstances that we come across. “The fact that there is no single model for a Christian politics, no uniquely godly leaders or nations or parties, doesn’t absolve Christian citizens of the obligation to bring their faith to bear on debates about justice and the common good” [4]

Some would say we have no place in the political arena. I do not fully disagree. What I would advocate for is a presence that has meaning and contributes effectively in the communities that we are called to serve in.  Even in an attempt to find a common resolve Douthat stated that “My hope throughout has been to persuade even the most skeptical reader that traditional Christian faith might have more to offer this country than either its flawed defenders or its fashionable enemies would lead one to believe” [5]. I would exclaim that the truth is that Christianity must be experienced in our lives daily.. I would add that it must be lived out loud! It begins and ends with tranformation within our own lives.  How can we assume that we can influence others when we gall to see our own issues and flaws. Douthat goes on to add that “To make any difference in our common life, Christianity must be lived—not as a means to social cohesion or national renewal, but as an end unto itself. Anyone who seeks a more perfect union should begin by seeking the perfection of their own soul. Anyone who would save their country should first look to save themselves. Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” [6].

[1] Ross Gregory Douthat, Bad religion: how we became a nation of heretics (New York: Free Press, 2013),5.

[4]Ibid, 284.

[5] Ibid,294

Christal Jenkins Tanks

5 responses to “Once Upon A Time- Faith in America”

“One has to beg the question, how do Christian sub cultures continue to foster their beliefs in a culture that negates what it means to be a Christian?”
    Christal this is what I struggle with too. I think we all do. I agree with you that we can’t avoid political involvement. But I wonder if each Christian should do however much she is called to do. What I mean is, for most of us that will be to keep up with the issues and vote intelligently. Many will get involved in other ways and I pray that God would lead some good people into high offices as well. I guess it just keeps coming back to ‘faithful presence’ AND faithful living. It would be great if somehow the Holy Spirit would revive the whole church (all Christians not just some denominations) to “first look to save themselves. Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”

Thanks for sharing your story (I must admit, I had to Google “Black National Anthem”). I really enjoyed your conclusion…

“What I would advocate for is a presence that has meaning and contributes effectively in the communities that we are called to serve in.”

We live at a time where Christians are very focused on national and global issues. Any while these effect us, as individuals there is little we can do about them.

Yet, we can serve that elderly shut-in who lives on our street. We can welcome a refugee family from Syria. We can volunteer as a “Reading Buddy” at a local elementary school. There is so much that we CAN do locally. Thanks for the reminder.

3. I like fairytales too! So much so, my marriage curriculum, One Kingdom is based around fairytales. CS Lewis actually referred to the gospel as one of the best fairy tales ever told.

“I would exclaim that the truth is that Christianity must be experienced in our lives daily. I would add that it must be lived out loud!” Very true and beautifully said. Thanks Christal for the reminder.

4. Christal, I agree with you that it makes more sense to live faithfully where we are called (even in politics) than to view politics as something from which Christians must always abstain.
    You quoted, “My hope throughout has been to persuade even the most skeptical reader that traditional Christian faith might have more to offer this country than either its flawed defenders or its fashionable enemies would lead one to believe.” My problem is that Douthat sets himself up as some sort of omniscient narrator (Katy’s descriptor) who is neither flawed defender or fashionable enemy, but is the one who understands both and can offer the best remedy. I find it hard to trust someone who does not freely admit her/his alignments and agendas.

5. Christal,
    I love your term perspective truth. That is what my review of this book mostly encompass. America’s laws, in our history, were developed on Christian values. But I say they were developed by those with Christian values. This country is not a Christian country but lead by those who say they have Christian values.
    How can one judge if our leaders are Christians?
    By their fruit.