Oh the Irony of it All!

Introduction:

Editors Nohria and Khurana have put together a voluminous and informative book with the purpose of advancing academic research in the field of leadership. In Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice, the authors confirm that there is a lack of solid research on leadership—because, among other things, “leadership is an elusive construct, riddled with so many ambiguities that is is hard to ever define let alone study systematically.” (L. 101) They also acknowledge that the vacuum of academic research on leadership as a discipline is being filled by the popular writers.

The authors see a risk involved in filling the vacuum with popular writers, namely the risk of clouding the mission of academic institutions who are training leaders. Additionally, they fear that students will transpose a desire to be change agents for “credentials and connections, and some knowledge, but not lessons about leadership.” (L 107) The are concerned about the future of leadership, the development of leaders and the ability for institutions to train leaders adequately based on research and not on popular culture. Therefore the purpose of this book is to advance and encourage academic research associated specifically with leadership and do it in a way and form that is assessable and not only to present scholars but to the future students and scholars. (L. 114)

Analysis and Application:

Do we actually have a vacuum in leadership? I would say yes! Is there a need for academic research-based literature on the subject? Yes! Do we need another book on leadership? Well…in this case I would say yes! Since the beginning of this program I am amazed at the shear numbers of books there are on leadership. Because I haven’t read anywhere near most of them I can’t say that most of them are posing as self-help 10 step leadership books. But I have seen enough to know that there is a difference between leadership material that develops leaders and leadership material that is there to make money. Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice is one that aims to both inform the academic discipline of leadership and practice and give solid information to those who want and need to lead.

Because I am often involved in teams of leaders, I was immediately drawn to the chapter written by Wagerman and Hackman titled “What Makes a Team of Leaders Leadable?” I was pleasantly surprised to see that the authors have highlighted what I have experienced when serving on leadership teams. The irony factor keeps these types of teams from performing at a high level. According to the authors, it is ironic that teams who are made up of high-level leaders often do not function at a high level. (L. 5844) They label this irony the “Four Ironic Features of Leadership Teams.”

The authors inventory the apparent irony. Leadership teams are often composed of powerful people, however, their teams are not designed well, not lead well and not resourced well. Though they are all leaders, the members of the team often have no relationship with each other and don’t want to attend meetings. Members are often overworked and overloaded in their responsibilities; however, the meetings they hold are long and often time wasting. Leadership team members often have power struggles that sabotage the team’s performance; however, they are not willing to talk about them. (L. 5844-6027)

Building on this foundation, Wagerman and Hackman give recommendations to address the irony. Their recommendations begin with the advice that leadership teams should have a clear and defined purpose and function with clear outcomes. Second, meeting agendas should be crafted so that, “the work of the team is always focused on meaningful, interdependent activities.”  To that, I add a hardy Amen! Third, each members’ role should be shaped and clearly defined. Finally, political dynamics can be held to a minimum when it’s members have the freedom to talk openly about their individual concerns without fear of retaliation either from the boss or from the other team members. (L. 6093 – 6124) These are so basic how could leaders miss these. That, of course, is the irony of it all.

And now the reason for the early post. I’m heading out the door to travel to the mountains of eastern Slovakia.  I am leading a team who will be ministering in some remote Roma villages. It’s in these villages where academics meet the realities of life of a people who live on the margins of society. Even in conditions of abject poverty and persecution the Roma people are giving their hearts to Christ and it is changing their lives and by extension their communities and the world. In the center of the great revival and social change among the Roma people is a small group of Roma leaders—started by one—who are practicing leadership in very difficult circumstances. With little resources and even less political power, they are leading their people out of darkness into a marvelous light. I can’t wait to see these men again and work alongside them, even for a moment. They are humble leaders who inspire the best in me and all who know them.

Jim Sabella

19 responses to “Oh the Irony of it All!”

1. Jim, I’m thinking those Roma leaders need to write a book on leadership. Sounds amazing! What an honor to be a part of such a significant group of world changers and kingdom makers. I also think you’d author a good leadership book due to your vast leadership experiences combined with your unique world view. Maybe I’ll get a sneak peek with your dissertation.

“The authors inventory the apparent irony. Leadership teams are often composed of powerful people, however, their teams are not designed well, not lead well and not resourced well. ”

Unfortunately, there are many church leadership teams that resemble this statement. Churches sometimes seek out pastors who are outgoing, dynamic communicators, and have strong opinions. Unfortunately, these characteristics don’t always insure success in leading teams.

I like Lencioni’s book: “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team”. I have read it with my Eldership and am trying to implement it to try to build good leadership teams. I think it takes time and considerable skill to get the best out of a group of leaders in a team setting. I think I have a way to go on this one.
    I hope you had a good time in the mountains!

• Jim Sabella says:

Geoff: What a great idea to read it with your leadership team and develop together. I’ve struggled with vision casting and leadership building with our team leaders who are spread all over Europe and in a couple of time zones. Skype or GoToMeeting works but have their drawbacks. They say that presence is everything. I’m waiting for someone to invent the Star Trek transporter!

God bless you as you travel, Jim. And God bless the Roma’s.
    “Leadership team members often have power struggles that sabotage the team’s performance; however, they are not willing to talk about them.”
    We read “Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership” by Gary Macintosh and Samuel Rima in seminary. They talked about first, recognizing and admitting that you have a problem, and then secondly, what to do to change.
    I agree with Stu that this seems hard for church leaders. Maybe they don’t want to appear unspiritual? Maybe they really do see themselves as the authority that no one can question? Maybe they sincerely think they need the people’s respect for their office?
    I don’t know, but I do appreciate your attitude of humbleness as you seek to lead your teams using the four principles you summarized.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Mary! When you say…

“Maybe they don’t want to appear unspiritual? Maybe they really do see themselves as the authority that no one can question? Maybe they sincerely think they need the people’s respect for their office?”

It’s probably all of the above. I also think that we have very few good models of functioning teams because in our western culture we love the single leader/star. Our sons often told us that they don’t care to play soccer in the USA because the “team” mentality is missing. They say that there has to be a star on every team who gets all the passes and scores all the goal. If there is no star the team feel they have not succeeded. I think that may be indicative of many teams, even in the church.

5. Jim, again I wish to be traveling the country as you. What an awesome experience to be working in mission across the world.
    You are already in global leadership and capable of writing a book on it!
    Leadership as a pastor is a challenge for many because many never studied leadership. They are just following what they have learned from under their spiritual fathers. I believe pastors should have studies in business management as well as spiritual learning.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thank you Lynda. You make an excellent point when you say…

“I believe pastors should have studies in business management as well as spiritual learning.”

You indicate the necessary balance. All business is not good; nor is the complete absence of business acumen. If we could just learn how to lead productive meetings, with the required implementation and followup, we could get a lot more done. Thanks Lynda.

6. Jim I am praying for you and your teams as you travel! The three points you outlined in your post I use on a daily basis in my line of work as a Platform Manager. First having clear definition and focus is so important. It helps everyone on my team, including myself, stay on track and also measure our performance. I have an agenda for all of my meetings. I also email pdf versions of my agendas so that everyone can have a copy of the agenda and what was discussed after the meeting. It is be so successful for my organization. Third going back to the first point. Once their is a clear direction and focus for the organization, then the roles that are needed to accomplish the mission and goals will also have clearer definitions and intended outcomes.

Overall great post Jim! 🙂

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Christal! I’m a bit embarrassed to say I had to google Platform Manager. Here’s what they said:

“These individuals not only must have solid computer skills but also need to have strong communication skills for working on a team in addition to being able to function independently.”

Wow! You are the expert! You do this stuff every day! Thank you for the great advice and the tips too.

I thought of you, Jim, as I read this chapter! I think of my own stories of church leaders (or missionaries) coming together to create a common goal, only to experience jostling and maneuvering of leadership roles, to the detriment of building a common direction.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Katy! My Dad once told me that except for the bank president, basically everyone in a local bank makes the same amount of money. The only difference is the title. In the case of the bank, the title can be more important than the salary. This can be the case within non-profits too—position is the highest level of achievement (Luke 9). And so we fight for them often at the determinant of the whole organization.

8. The ironies of leadership teams perfectly described the reasons I hated management team meetings Jim! Even though we all liked each other, we didn’t have a system of interdependency or a sense that we were on the same team. Monthly statistics and department-wide kudos subtly encouraged competition over collaboration. I would blame it on the setting, but I have seen pastoral teams and faculties operate this way too. I love the image of your Roma leaders who are coming together despite hardships for a common Kingdom mission. Thank you for sharing that!

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Kristin! Like you, It seems that many in our cohort have a lot of business experience. I have limited experience in the business world and so I’m grateful for the insights. As you mention, competition over collaboration exists on every team. However, I have not seen it so much in the Roma setting. I’m wondering if it has to do with the marginalized circumstances in which they find themselves and the importance their culture places on good leadership. I don’t know. Could make an interesting study sometime. Thanks Kristin!