Obstacle or Opportunity: Is it Really Just about Politics?

Most political conflicts have little to do with politics. They are rooted in more fundamental disputes about moral values, moral knowledge, the definition of the human being, and even metaphysics.[1] Matthew Petrusek

Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture, by Matthew R. Petrusek, is not a quick how to guide for engaging in respectful political discussions. It is a deep dive into how to argue with purpose. I generally avoid talking politics. It’s an uncomfortable encounter for me at best, but when I find myself seemingly placed in a certain political camp without ever opening my mouth, I’m a deer caught in the headlights. How do I respond when assumptions are made. Assumptions put everyone on the defensive. That is not a good space from which to engage important topics. I’m rethinking my approach in light of this reading. I need to consider engaging in thoughtful interactions because ultimately human lives and souls are at stake. Considering that our political conflicts don’t have as much to do with politics as we might think has me looking for what is unseen, maybe even listening for what is unspoken.

What lies underneath the political conflicts? Are our socio-political ideologies and disagreements a smoke screen for deeper spiritual and existential questions about life, identity, and death? Aren’t we all wanting answers to the same questions? Isn’t that what the author is getting at and that the answer is found in Jesus? As I write I’m reflecting on how often identity and the demand for human dignity which Francis Fukuyama raised, the ideology of identity synthesis discussed by Yascha Mounk, and the ideologies highlighted in this book come up with counseling clients and spiritual directees. Political tensions, a changing moral landscape, the uncertainties of life, and personal fears around social concerns are all opportunities to explore one’s existence, theology, and relationship with God.

Petrusek believes that “…the hyper-politicization of society constitutes an opportunity for evangelization rather than an obstacle.”[2] This encourages me to enter the conversation. I appreciate the invitation to consider that understanding and responding well to today’s political culture is an opportunity to share the hope of the gospel. This approach allows politics and religion to stand in right relationship with one another, “both in service to God, and for authentic human good.”[3]

Petrusek goes on to assert the principles of Catholic social thought, which are grounded in moral absolutes and flexible in application, offers an alternative perspective to the ideological frameworks of Utilitarianism, Liberalism and Libertarianism, Progressivism, and Non-Theistic Conservatism.[4] I don’t pretend to understand all of the ideological underpinnings of these perspectives. However, they all seek resolution to the complex issues of how we live in harmony together, care for one another, and strive for the ideals (admittedly differing) of a perfect society. Am I willing to listen and engage? Am I willing to be flexible with my approach? Am I willing to forgo some discomfort to point to Jesus, the Word of life? Am I willing to offer a different moral perspective?

For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world, and against spiritual forces of evil in heavenly places.

Ephesians 6:12 MEV

We are not fighting against people. The social concerns of our day and the injustices which prevail are valid. They call for a moral and Christ-centered response. Petrusek’s useful comments regarding ideology helped clarify for me the danger of not engaging in the dialogue.

• Ideology provides a totalizing view of reality, including political reality, without reference to the transcendent.[5]
  • Ideologies ground their vision of both what is good and how to achieve that good in something other than God, and as such, relegate all power to govern human life into human hands alone.[6]
  • Ideology reduces moral reality in a way that forces individuals and communities to make choices between authentic goods.[7]

What is missing from our man-made ideologies is God. Leaving God out makes idols of our own ideas and ideals. God needs to be courageously brought into the discussion. The world needs our Christian voice and hope.

In Chapter 10, Petrusek introduces the “How To” I was seeking. 1. Use the Socratic method to engage debate. Be willing to ask sincere questions and listen. 2. Seek clarity, not simplicity. Embrace complexity. 3. Be disposed to learn something new. Listen for new perspectives and flexible solutions. 4. Be a happy warrior. Go into the world joyfully seeking to spread the Word. 5. Don’t be afraid of courage. It takes courage to do the right thing and speak up. 6.  Don’t compromise the faith to gain a (temporary) ally. Avoid the temptation to use highly generalized language. Ouch! And my personal favorite, 6. Be ready to make strategic retreats and take shelter. In order to do the hard work of changing the world we need to be intentional about rest and retreat. 7. Remember: God does the sowing and the harvesting-but we tend to the ground. Be ready and willing to pull weeds and rake rocks. 8. For God’s sake don’t make everything about politics. Keep in mind that the real issue isn’t politics. It’s about a broken world that we all long to fix, that indeed God has called us to attend to, and the person standing before us in any debate, conversation, fight, or argument is a beloved human being created in the image of God. God wants every soul home.

Through the practice of spiritual direction I am learning the art of listening and companioning others. Listening with the Holy Spirit has aided many difficult conversations. May the voice of the Other be clearly heard as we turn every obstacle into an opportunity to make our God known.

[1] Matthew R. Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture (Park Ridge, IL: Word on Fire, 2023), 40.

[2] Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology, 3.

Jenny Dooley

Jenny served as a missionary in Southeast Asia for 28 years. She currently resides in Gig Harbor, Washington, where she works as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Spiritual Director in private practice with her husband, Eric. Jenny loves to listen and behold the image of God in others. She enjoys traveling, reading, and spending time with her family which include 5 amazing adult children, 3 awesome sons-in-law, a beautiful daughter-in-law, and 8 delightful grandchildren.

8 responses to “Obstacle or Opportunity: Is it Really Just about Politics?”

1. mm Pam Lau says:

Jenny~ You wrote, “Through the practice of spiritual direction I am learning the art of listening and companioning others. Listening with the Holy Spirit has aided many difficult conversations. May the voice of the Other be clearly heard as we turn every obstacle into an opportunity to make our God known.”

I am curious how you have learned what the Spirit of Christ might say or how He might respond to the hatred and animosity expressed today? Often what is most universal is deeply personal – and you are walking alongside individuals in a deeply personal way. I want to learn from you!

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Pam,
      I don’t have any easy answers for your question. But taking a non-judgmental stance and relying on the Holy Spirit to do the convicting helps me hold space and silence for others. I also pay close attention to the gospels and how Jesus interacted with those opposing him. He asked a lot of questions, paused, and told a lot of stories which I think gave space for people to examine their hearts. He never forced anyone to change their minds and he let people go without making a decision. I have found that if people don’t have safe places to vent and soft places to land they can’t sort out their true feelings and thoughts, and possibly come to some better solutions, responses, or behaviors.

You are an amazing listener Jenny, we all need to be more like you in that regard! There were some things I liked, but also had to challenge in this book, but I do agree that we should engage others, rather than run or just fight, and how we engage people matters.

“What is missing from our man-made ideologies is God. Leaving God out makes idols of our own ideas and ideals. God needs to be courageously brought into the discussion.”

I could not agree with this statement more. I believe our understanding of “truth” or version of it can become an idol. God IS love and I believe the life and heart of Christ help us to better define what love is and looks like. Keeping that in mind as we engage in our culture is important. Simply listening with genuine curiosity can create a much better dialogue. Thanks for you posts!

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Adam,
      I couldn’t agree more. “I believe our understanding of “truth” or version of it can become an idol. God IS love and I believe the life and heart of Christ help us to better define what love is and looks like.” I didn’t agree with everything in Petrusek’s book or his tone at certain points, but I am a firm believer that everyone has a perspective and experience that I can learn from. It is not likely I will ever argue or debate anyone. But I find the thinking processes of those who have that gifting fascinating.

HI Jenny,
    You wrote, “Through the practice of spiritual direction I am learning the art of listening and companioning others. Listening with the Holy Spirit has aided many difficult conversations.”

I am starting to read a book called, “Listen Well, Lead Better” by Steve Harling.

Hopefully I shall LEARN something.

Selah…

• Jenny Dooley says:

Sounds like a good book, Russell! Let me know how it helped and if it should be on my bookshelf. Also, I would love to hear what you heard at the symposium. How were you able to hold space for those who think differently, the same, or who may be uninformed?

4. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Jenny!

I am intrigued by your insightful and well-written post. Thank you!

You wrote, “What is missing from our man-made ideologies is God. Leaving God out makes idols of our own ideas and ideals. God needs to be courageously brought into the discussion. The world needs our Christian voice and hope.”

In your opinion, is the approach that Petrusek offers the only way to answer the challenges of secular ideology? Or is it true that Petrusek also opens up space that other approaches are also possible to collaborate in the evangelization that the church carries out to answer the challenges of secular ideology?
    Thanks

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Dinka,
      No, I don’t think that Petrusek’s way is the only way. I do believe listening, respectful dialogue, healthy disagreement, and attention to the underlying fears are very important. I have had some very interesting conversations in which fear and uncertainty was the bigger issue and something we agreed on. Understanding why we form ideologies and what lies underneath is key to being able to empathize without having to agree. Emotionally charged interactions won’t solve much. I like how Petrusek suggested asking socratic questions. Our next book is reminding me that the art of asking good questions with a view to understand is a better approach then more rhetoric.