Never Judge a Book by its Size!

Critical Thinking Picture“What in the world! Is this a mistake? Wasn’t this book on critical thinking supposed to be a thick book like the others? Did I order the wrong book from Amazon? What could possibly be in this little booklet?” After this initial impression of the book, I looked at the index, took a general look at the pages with graphics, read the bio of the authors, and started reading page two. It says, “Everyone thinks; it is our nature to do so. But much of our thinking, left to itself, is biased, distorted, partial, uninformed, or down-right prejudiced. Yet the quality of our life and that of what we produce, make, or build depends precisely on the quality of our thought” (Paul and Elder, 2). Wait! Isn’t that exactly what I just did with the book? Suddenly, I realized that the words “biased,” “distorted” and “prejudiced” ironically described my very thoughts as I started interacting with the book. It was a good reminder that just as the saying goes, you cannot judge a book by its cover—or I should say, you must not judge a book by its size.

I enjoyed this book, because I find that the depth of thought, precise language, clarity of ideas, and helpful graphics found in these pages are a powerful combination. This book is a helpful tool to any serious person who desires to grow in his or her analytical skills. It describes how critical thinkers analyze and communicate information objectively while resisting their own tendencies of egocentrical and sociocentrical reasoning. It invites the reader to “combat irrational tendencies and cultivate critical societies” (Paul and Elder, 24).

As I read the book, it took me through a journey of so many seemingly unrelated memories, yet all connected with a common thread. I remembered my faith crisis while studying theology, which led me to question the very existence of God. I knew then that my crisis was the result of moving from an inherited faith to a faith based on convictions. Now I can see that I was moving from an “egocentric thinking” faith to a “critical thinking” faith built on “intellectual autonomy.” I also remembered one of the first papers I wrote in college. It had many red notes from the professor, teaching me how to make educated assertions. I now see clearly that he was trying to teach me “fairness” and “intellectual humility.” The book also made me think of my ministry experience working with my Elder Board in leading our church through many challenges. One of the essential skills in inspiring trust has been what the authors call “fair mindedness”—the ability to treat all viewpoints alike without being biased.  So, what is the common thread of all of these experiences? It is the importance for critical thinking in all aspects of life.

Whether it be the effort to stay focused on the issue at hand while in a marital disagreement, listening to presidential candidates with an attitude of “intellectual courage,” or writing a post on Facebook with “fairness,” this book challenges me to grow through the stages of critical thinking, so that I may move from being an unreflective thinker to an accomplished one. I believe that this doctoral program will help me grow in that direction.

Authors Paul and Elder introduced the book by asking the question, “Why a Critical Thinking Mini-Guide?” They say, “Critical thinkers are clear as to the purpose at hand and the question at issue. They question information, conclusions, and points of view. They strive to be clear, accurate, precise, and relevant. They seek to think beneath the surface, to be logical, and fair. They apply these skills to their reading and writing as well as to their speaking and listening. They apply them in history, science, math, philosophy, and the arts; in professional and personal life” (Paul and Elder, Back of cover page). I believe this description is a picture worth pursuing. In order to get there, my next step will be to do my best to never again judge a book by its size.

Pablo Morales

Pablo Morales serves as the Lead Pastor of Ethnos Bible Church in Texas. He is currently pursuing the Doctor of Ministry degree in Leadership and Global Perspectives at Portland Seminary in order to understand what it takes to develop a healthy multiethnic church.

6 responses to “Never Judge a Book by its Size!”

1. Marc Andresen says:

Pablo,

I love irony, and I love how you introduced this; especially with the picture. You really set up the value of the book with your contrast.

2. I thought the same thing. That I had purchased the wrong thing online. All the other books were super intense and this one was just to small. But it has packed inside of it some powerful truths and I believe it will be a constant companion on this dissertation journey.

We will be pursuing this for the next three years. Clear, concise, and comprehensive communication with a critical thought to make sure that we are going to make a difference.

3. Claire Appiah says:

Pablo,
    As you reminisced over some of the contours of your life, you were able to come up with the keen observation that, “critical thinking is important in all aspects of life.” I believe that as one becomes increasingly liberated from egocentric and socio-centric thinking, and engages in genuine critical thinking, that person also becomes empowered. Critical thinking will progressively be an integral part of and pervade all life experiences.

• Pablo Morales says:

Claire, I agree with you. I hope that this doctoral program will help us grow to the point that, as you said, critical thinking will progressively become part of how we function in all life experiences.