Never Assume

In my last post I mentioned that “My American evangelical bubble is deflating; maybe that’s good.” Jason Clark asked me to comment further on what I meant and why I thought it was ‘good.’ I’d like to answer that in this post. My reality has been deflating generally since I started this GFES graduate study, and specifically since engaging with this weekly group of sojourners at Cork Grinders. It is the reality of the assumed. I could be happily oblivious by assuming we’re all thinking, understanding meaning, perceiving reality and doctrine basically the Untitledsame way.

I can preach sermons, lead Bible studies, offer counsel, administer teams; I’m comfortable as long as I stay in the world of the assumed. I know how I understand things like the trinity, deity of Christ, inerrancy of scripture, nature of man, sin, salvation, etc. I assume my thinking on these doctrines is grounded and tested and therefore I feel solid. I know me and I assume others in my community are on the same page. I assume we’re all one happy family – we might use different words at times, but basically we are singing from the same song sheet, or at least that’s what I was assuming.

My studies and my ongoing conversations using “Theology: A very short introduction” by David F. Ford, are poking holes in my assumptions. Why? Questions. Asking lots of good questions. When at fourteen I became a committed Christ Follower, owning the faith as my own, I didn’t have questions. I grew up in the church and I had a solid religious education from the cradle on. So when I grasped onto the faith, it was the faith I already knew, and I experientially made it my own. I didn’t need to figure things out, didn’t need to explore, and didn’t need to ask questions… I just believed. Thanks to God, I was in a biblically grounded community, and He directed me to some great schools but still I never questioned, not significantly, anyway.

Opening up a dialogue, not about doctrines, or orthodoxy per say, but about theology as a practice generates lots of questions, questions that I find that I’m not necessarily ready for. Here are some questions prompted by this book:

• Why is it that a belief that was founded in self-sacrifice spurs on such great violence?
  • Whereas the past doesn’t change, our faith is based in history. But how we perceive knowledge and truth changes. So does postmodernity change our orthodoxy?
  • How is our theology interacting with matters of public importance? Should it?
  • Why, starting in the 20th century, has there been an explosion in Trinitarian theology?
  • Inasmuch as God is infinite, why do we even think we can understand God; in other words, what’s the point of studying theology if God is beyond comprehension?
  • Which biblical laws do we keep and why? Is there a Christian ethic?
  • If the center of Christianity is that God loves humanity, loves me actively, pursues me specifically, then how could I understand myself as free?
  • Are the Christian and the Muslim akin theologically? If so how? If not, why not?

Those are but a few questions after reading half of “Theology: A very short introduction.”  If you’re looking to spark a conversation with lots of questions, questions that won’t be easy, questions that will generate debate, if that’s your goal this is a great resource. Many questions, however, do have thoughtful, weighty answers, and in a community of diverse Christ followers you may find yourself agreeing with ideas that may never have occurred to you previously.

For me, my comfortable bubble, my unquestioned evangelicalism, is being penetrated by lots of questions. For the first time I’m not the guy with all the answers. What a blessing. The group is answering many questions and pushing the dialogue further. I’m also free to ask questions of my own; it’s OK that I don’t know all the answers.

‘Deflating’ and yes it’s ‘good.’ It’s good because by listening, by not answering, by learning from others in my community I’m learning a different posture. My previous posture was that of “having the answers” even if I didn’t – I better be able to bluff it or divert the question. But instead of “having the answers,” what if I had a posture of “I’m curious?” I’m curious about you, about what you think and believe, and why. I’m curious about God and who He is, who we are in relation to Him. Having to have the answers tended to separate me from others (clergy/laity). Being a curious sojourner means I’m with you – sometimes God will give me some discernment, sometimes it will be given someone else in my community; sometimes questions will only generate more questions. I’m good with that!

Dave Young

husband, dad, friend, student of culture and a pastor.

15 responses to “Never Assume”

1. Dawnel Volzke says:

Dave,
    You eloquently captured much of the same sentiment as I had starting this program, and I’m sure there are others that feel the same. Learning to be curious and to explore through dialog can be uncomfortable at times, so I appreciate being in this group where we can explore together and push each other beyond our bubbles. I’ve found that I also enjoy “being a curious sojourner”. It makes me think about what church would be like if we offered a similar safe place for others to explore and grow…Thank you for sharing!

• Dave Young says:

Dawnel,

If you’re not overwhelmed with reading as I am, then you might enjoy Larry Crabb’s Safest Place on Earth. Your comments remind me of the vision of the church that book advocates.

• Dawnel Volzke says:

Thank you Dave…I’ll certainly put this on my reading list. You are right, though, my list of books is growing more quickly than I can engage with all of the great material!

2. Jon Spellman says:

Dave, thanks for this. You said: “For the first time I’m not the guy with all the answers. What a blessing.” I’m curious, is it a blessing or is it creating angst, emotionally speaking? Or can it be that emotional upheaval can be a blessing at the same time? Are you finding it easy to shift to conversing eye to eye instead of thundering from the lofty “sacred desk?” I mean, you’ve got that awesome voice!

J

• Dave Young says:

Jon, There is a little bit of angst with not having answers. It goes back to a traumatic experience as a child, I was sent to special education classes because of a learning disability. Kids called me a retard, and a made a commitment to never be seen as dumb, or stupid. Really a wicked little commitment. On the one hand the commitment shaped my identity – chase after education; on the other hand I almost have a panic attack when I’m on the spot and I don’t have ‘the answer’. So bottom line I’m just not taking myself as seriously, and I’m getting over some of my wounds, but yes still angst.

3. Phillip Struckmeyer says:

Dave, What a great definition of the bubble: The reality assumed. I love how that explains how one ends up in a bubble. We just assume a reality that fits our story and experience and hangout there without question. I was listening to some video vignettes on the greek philosophers for a bit of my thesis/dissertation study and was amazed by the deep thought derived primarily by questions and thinking rather than by questions and teaching. It feels like I am definitely in a culture where the majority just want question and teaching monologues vs. a question and thinking dialogues or journeys. It really does feel like we are being called to the deeper end of the pool to swim and it is pretty funny how different the pool is when you suddenly can’t touch the bottom. Doing the dog paddle with you friend, Phil

• Dave Young says:

Phil, maybe it’s not even ‘questions – teaching’. Maybe it’s just teaching. Unfortunately I’ve known those church folks who down’t even want the rigor of questioning. Just tell me what to think. I guess I’ve fit that bill too, for too long. Thanks for journeying with me. 🙂

4. Nick Martineau says:

Thanks Dave…I love the curiosity. It’s one thing to be curious for answers and it’s another thing to just be curious about people. Meeting all the people in this program has reopened my curiosity about people. Our God has uniquely made each of us….it’s weird isn’t it? I’m curious why some of us ask questions others would never think to ask. Most times I’m too quick to think of answers and not curious enough to learn about the person asking the question. Good job getting yourself out of the typical “pastor role” of having all the answers.

5. Dave Young says:

Nick, I feel the same way. What a great cohort and mentors, a learning community that I’m blessed to be a part of.
    🙂

6. Travis Biglow says:

I think that is really important to open your mind to more! I think learning is important by listening and reevaluating some of your thoughts. I felt elevated reading because of the way the book dealt with other people and how they perceive our religion and faith and how we view theirs. We are in a changing world and with that comes changes to the way we think so the “bubble might just have to bust for new knowledge”

God bless you Dave!!!

7. dave, I have really valued the wisdom of friends along this unpredictable journey we call faith. These words from poet and author Madeleine L’engle —

“When we were children, we used to think that when we became grown-ups we would no longer be vulnerable.
    But to grow up is to accept vulnerability.”

And from a psychologist who some remember for a little book called “The Road Less Traveled.”

To develop a broader vision we must be willing to forsake, to kill, our narrower vision. In the short run it is more comfortable not to do this – to stay where we are, to keep using the same microcosmic map, to avoid suffering the death of cherished notions. The road of spiritual growth, however, lies in the opposite direction. We begin by distrusting what we already believe, by actively seeking the threatening and unfamiliar, by deliberately challenging the validity of what we have previously been taught and hold dear. The path to holiness lies through questioning everything. — M. Scott Peck

8. Dave Young says:

Len,

You’re are gifted at getting to the heart. Are you a counselor too? Might be another gifting.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    dave

9. Mary Pandiani says:

With each of your questions that were prompted from the book, I found myself more and more uncomfortable. Then I realized, it’s the same way I feel when I’m in a group of people who only want to find the right answer. What if we disagree? Can we still choose to love each other in the name of Jesus Christ? Our society has become so polarized that we’ve lost the grace by which to listen and receive, then acknowledge where there might be differences as well as similarities.
    Your self-revelation is such a gift to all of us, Dave. While you would never strike me as someone who had a framework that needed to be deflated, you willingly shared your interior life with us. That means I now have permission to share mine. I think you’re on to something when it comes to being able to part of a community who can live theology together.

10. Brian Yost says:

“For the first time I’m not the guy with all the answers. What a blessing”
    Isn’t it refreshing to not have to have the answer for everything? I was speaking at a church this morning and spent time talking about questions with a guy after church. We talked about the pressure in ministry to have the one right answer for every theological question. My response was that if you are part of a church in which the pastor knows the answer to every question raised about scripture, you are probably in a cult.