More than a Monologue: Understanding the Power of Cultural Context

Diversity within leadership is not simply a vivid portrait of varied colors, but a variety of perspectives, customs, experiences and backgrounds. Therefore, leadership as a whole, is the presence of all souls beating in different tempos to inspire the masses. Theology of Leadership Journal invites readers to delve into the theories, perspectives and personal reflections of each author and formulate their own convictions of leadership. The journal invites one to peruse through the varied topics of cross-cultural perspectives, metaphorical language, synergy, authentic presence, suffering and conflict perception. Each page echoes the heartbeat of the masses and challenges the reader to comprehend the cultural context of one’s audience.

Russel L. Huizing welcomes his readers and challenges them to understand the vast perspectives of theology of leadership. He believes that, “Organizations have shifted from a highly localized emphasis with perhaps tertiary connections to outside influences to outside influences becoming the primary driver of the organization.”[1] According to Huizing, leadership is driven by the need to communicate amongst cultural spans because influence is globalized in praxis. Therefore, leadership is the stance of learning. The author elaborates on his position and concludes that, “If Christianity is to inspire through its leadership in not only ecclesial environments but every sphere of cultural influence, then this analysis of Christian leadership must occur.”[2] Therefore, he adheres to the belief that healthy leadership is compelled by global impact and implementation.

Jeffrey J. Singfiel delves into this concept further by giving us a glimpse at Paul’s preference towards team leadership, preparation tactics and contextual understanding of conflict. Singfiel explains that, “Broad cultural dimensions such as individualism-collectivism and power distance also affect the way people interact with each other. All of these dynamics create a complex picture of conflict in the first-century team.”[3] Therefore, the author believes that one must be able to understand the reason and context of conflict in order to move forward towards a solution. Hence, “becoming a real team requires an intentional decision on the part of its members. Teamwork is not a virtue. It is a choice – and a strategic one.”[4] Leadership is a conscious choice and a decision for the betterment of the organization. Consequently, one must understand that introspection is not simply a personal decision, but a cooperate choice. Singfiel advocates for leaders to take on the position of pupil. This approach is more than stepping into one’s shoes, it is delving into their context and allowing them to shape your leadership methodology – it is the willingness to be changed by those you are leading.

Sheryl Sandburg, COO of Facebook and best-selling author delves into the concept of diversified leadership and invites all to lean in and join the table. She believes that, “The opportunity to learn is the most important quality a leader can have.”[5] Sheryl Sandburg alludes to the idea that leadership is tied to the response of the masses rather than the rhetoric of the individual. It is through the lens of submitting oneself to change that one can lead successfully.

Fred Wantaate presents an example of cultural context by conducting a comparative study on the topic of pastoral authority. The experiment reveals that one’s experience, culture and customs impact one’s perception. Wantaate goes on to discuss that, “Experiencing a calling is perhaps the single most important phenomenon that takes place in an individual’s life and has many positive consequences for the individual and organizations.”[6] However, calling is a fluid concept colored by cultural context, societal norms and familial expectations. Consequently, one’s interpretation dictates one’s leadership definition. The author delves deeper and creates a comparative list between cultural concepts of individualism, collectivism, power distance, masculinity, femininity, uncertainty avoidance, and long-term avoidance verses short-term avoidance.[7] He explains that these varied cultural norms influence one’s perception of successful leadership and one’s definition of calling. This is why it is critical to understand that self-actualization is not dependent on Western ideals, but personal and cultural goals. If we refuse to grasp this concept, then we risk creating a schism of expectation because of ignorant assumption.

For instance, Mel Robbins, best-selling author and influencer is the perfect example of the modern concept of calling. Robbins claims that, “When it comes to goals, dreams, and chasing your life, your inner wisdom is a genesis. Your goal-related impulses, urges, and instincts are there to guide you. You need to learn to bet on them.”[8] According to Wantaate, modern calling is driven “towards self-fulfillment or personal happiness”[9] because followers are driven by Western individualism. This is why most books in the Western world create formulas of conversation and multiplication. However, is this really great leadership?

Stephen Woodworth asks us to consider, “In every age, the church must ask, what are pastors for?”[10] Throughout the following chapters, various authors seek to reveal the theology of leadership. However, not all forms of leadership are equal. Hence, leadership methodology must be the based on sacrificial demonstration, not personal oration. Stephen goes on to assert:

While concrete training in the functional tasks of pastoring is an essential aspect of any ministerial training program, it needs to be recognized that such courses are often highly influenced by the liturgies and traditions of their country of origin, emphasizing culture-bound challenges and perspectives that often fail to be universal in nature.[11]

Debby Thomas reminds us that, “Jesus gives a clear call to his disciples, the early church, and Christian leaders today to go against the power constructs of the culture, and to embrace leading as a servant.”[12] Leadership occurs when we understand the individual value of humanity without filtering it through generalized assumption. Therefore, making a difference is not making “them” different. Leadership is simply the art of generating influence that brings change to the soul, not the outward custom or cultural value. Hence, diversity needs to the basis of one’s organization and one’s leadership methodology. Leaders must comprehend the cultural ideas of leadership in order to provide unified purpose. Therefore, cultural nuance needs to be assessed before Christian ministry can make a difference.

[1]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 3., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[2]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 3., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[3]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 12., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[4]Patrick Lencioni, The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2012), Pg. 21.

[5]Sheryl Sandberg and Nell Scovell, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2013), Pg. 35.

[6]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 52., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[7]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 53., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[8]Mel Robbins, The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage (Place of publication not identified: Savio Republic, 2017), 33.

[9]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 82., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[10]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 81., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[11]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 82., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

[12]Russell L. Huizing: Ph.D., “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 73., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj.

Colleen Batchelder

I speak at conferences, churches, companies and colleges on intergenerational communication, marketing, branding your vision and living authentically in a ‘filtered’ world. My talks are customized to venue needs and audience interests. My passion is to speak with organizations and bridge the intergenerational gap. I consult with companies, individuals, churches and nonprofit organizations and help them create teams that function from a place of communication that bridges the generational gap. I’m also the Founder and President of LOUD Summit – a young adult organization that presents workshops, seminars and summits that encourage, empower and equip millennials to live out their destiny and walk in their purpose. When I’m not studying for my DMin in Leadership and Global Perspectives at Portland Seminary, you can find me enjoying a nice Chai Latte, exploring NYC or traveling to a new and exotic destination.

17 responses to “More than a Monologue: Understanding the Power of Cultural Context”

1. Jennifer Williamson says:

HI Colleen, it’s great to have you in the cohort!

I was struck by this statement: “It is through the lens of submitting oneself to change that one can lead successfully.” What are some ways that you put that into practice as a leader? What changes have you been submitting to lately?

• Thanks so much for the wonderful encouragement and welcome! It’s been great getting to know you all and see a glimpse of your personalities in your posts.

Great questions! I currently oversee a team of ten individuals from a variety of denominational background, theological views and personal leadership styles. When we first sat down together and brainstormed on how to reach millennials and generation Z, all of us had very different ideas. However, we realized that we needed to place the needs of the culture before the personal assumptions of the team. When we looked outside our agendas, we sought to understand the cultural context of our audience. This then led us in our business construct and online marketing presentation. We realized that in order to make Jesus center, we had to make Jesus accessible to all.

Summitting to change requires us to let go of our personal preferences and create ministries that truly serve the reality of culture.

Hi Colleen,

Yours was the Blog I was looking forward to reading the most. As we all get to know you, it is going to be fun learning more about each other each week and in Hong Kong.

I loved your citation, “Teamwork is not a virtue. It is a choice – and a strategic one.” Well said! And the more I think about it, the more I think it is true.

Thank you for your words on “calling”. I count my calling to ministry as one of the most precious gifts given. Keep up the good writing.

I am interested, does our Cohort stack up in quality with your original one?

• Thanks so much! It was wonderful reading everyone’s posts and seeing all of the insights. I look forward to meeting you all face-to-face in Hong Kong. The quality of this cohort is top-notch! 🙂 lol

I thought it was interesting that Saint Francis upheld the ideal of inverted hierarchy. This type of mindset is imperative in team leadership, because it asks all to submit to the vision statement rather than a specific ministerial leader. What do you think is the biggest lack in modern leadership today?

Hi Colleen! I’m so glad you have joined our cohort and we get to learn from you! Welcome again!

I appreciate this quote you highlighted:
    “According to Wantaate, modern calling is driven “towards self-fulfillment or personal happiness”[9] because followers are driven by Western individualism. This is why most books in the Western world create formulas of conversation and multiplication. However, is this really great leadership?” – we spent the spring semester focusing on western capitalism and my takeaway is how ethnocentric this country is. Have you been able to sort this out for yourself? And in your own leadership paradigm?

I’m excited to hear about your research topic and your thoughts on women and leadership (a topic very close to many in our cohort).

• Thanks so much for the great welcome! It’s great to be a part of the group.

Wantaate was one of my favorites. I really resonated with his writing and loved his take on leadership. As I perused his writing, I realized how many of our leadership methods are tied to ethnocentric ideals that heavily adhere to capitalistic thought. In a sense, leadership books have gentrified our organizations and created hubs of Western agenda.

I recently spent time in Long Island City and I was shocked at the demographics. This area of Queens is one of the most diversified areas in all of NYC with only 14% Caucasians. I absolutely loved it, because it was a hub of cultural variety, not gentrified tolerance. Too many times, leadership remains a system of inequality because it adheres to a standard of ethnocentric expectation.

As a pastor/preacher and CEO, I’m very pro women being in leadership. My journey has not been one of ease, but one of grace and purpose. I look forward to engaging in this topic more in Hong Kong. Do you find that this type of ethnocentric leadership affects women in leadership? In what ways? How can women pastors address the cultural context of their audience and lead congregants towards a unified goal?

Colleen,
    Greetings, we’ve not met yet, but I am looking forward to getting to know you soon online and in HK. I like your comment, “Leadership as a whole, is the presence of all souls beating in different tempos to inspire the masses.” I agree, formulating our “own” convictions on leadership is part of what LGP is trying to get our cohort to develop. Your comment at the end of paragraph two reads like a promotional advertisement for GFU LGP! Diversity, like other leadership qualities, is a key tool for the right job in the Christian leader’s spiritual toolbox.
    I support your leadership methodology that has some basis in sacrificial demonstration. With Christ and the Apostles serving as leadership role-models there is hope for the rest of us. While “making a difference is not making “them” different” I think it is our differences, through the incarnational presence of Christ within us, that makes the difference. Good post!

• Thanks so much! I’m looking forward to meeting you as well.

I love you comment, “Diversity, like other leadership qualities, is a key tool for the right job in the Christian leader’s spiritual toolbox.” Diversity is a tool – it is a resource that aids us in engaging our audience and displaying Christ vividly for all. Therefore, leadership is more about the reception of the audience, not the speech of the leader. Our words and actions must inspire our audience to be servant leaders; however, their interpretation will filter their presentation.

5. Jason Turbeville says:

Hey Colleen,
    Glad you could join us in the 8s. Your ending really hits it with me, we have to see Paul’s statement to become all things to all people that by all means I might save some. He doesn’t talk about making them change their culture but uses his knowledge of their culture to bring them Christ.

Great Post.

• Thanks so much!

Yes, I agree that it’s imperative to become all things to all people. However, I would elaborate and advocate for team-oriented leadership to attain this goal. When we operate within a diversified framework, we have the ability to expand our reach and empathize with our audience in new ways. This occurs because of the cultural variety that is displayed with our leadership teams.

6. Colleen,

This phrase leaped out at me from your post: “Leadership is the stance of learning.” What I love about it is that if we are learning, we are not static nor stuck. We do not have all the answers. We are curious; we keep asking questions. We avoid retrenching into the safe places; we jump into the unknown with delight. Our circles are not closed to outsiders, but always opening further to others. There is a weakness inherent in declaring that I am still learning, as one can no longer claim I have arrived. May this type of leadership continue to be cultivated through this cohort, as iron keeps sharpening iron… welcome to our messy group!! 😉

• Thanks so much!

As I read through Theology of Leadership Journal, I kept going back to Shery Sandburg’s book Lean In. They both gave great illustrations on leadership understanding and praxis. Her quote on learning grabbed my attention right away, because it truly is the crux of healthy leadership.

Teachability is the greatest form of leadership, because it approaches life with the honest assessment of self. When we consider our convictions and question their validity, we’re able to create organizations that function for the benefit of others rather than the agenda of self.

I completely agree with your prayer. There is nothing better than iron sharpening iron and creating a spark. 🙂

Colleen, welcome to the party. I know we are all happy to see you become part of our quaint little group.

I appreciated your post on “calling”. Part of my own post dealt with this two; I think I have been thinking about what a “true calling” is a lot these days because it seems like the ultimate excuse for people to do whatever they want to with Christianity; after all, if its their “calling”, then how can you question it? However, I believe we have all been “called” according to Scripture, but there is a difference between how we are called and what what we are called to. As a minister, I feel I truly had a calling to this path, for one main reason, I tried to run from it for a while before I finally realized that God was leading me to it. I had been trained without trying, guided without seeking, and fed a desire for ministry without even realizing it was growing in me.

My struggle with the “calling” mentality in some though, is that they justify way too many things and mark it off as a “calling” instead of as an “impulse” or a “reflex”. I think sometimes people are motivated to react or respond, but that does not necessarily indicate a calling from God toward something. Your post mentioned the calling toward leadership, and I suppose that is the point, some people are truly called to lead. I am not convinced that all in authority are called, some may just be thrust there until the right person comes along. The apostle Judas is one of my examples for this; he was not ever really shown as a leader, and yet he was an apostle. He was called to betray Christ, but he was not necessarily called to serve long term as an apostle…he was just used that way.

Colleen first I want to say welcome. There are few of us that don’t always say a lot on the weekly chats because we tend to be quieter. Know that it takes courage to jump into the middle of a pre-existing group. Looking forward to getting to know you better in HK.

You wrote”…healthy leadership is compelled by global impact and implementation.” Wow, ..later you wrote “…it is delving into their context and allowing them to shape your leadership methodology”

How do you think we keep this attitude of teachability while taking on tasks the impact the globe? This is an area we struggle greatly in Asia where the teacher/leader is always right…not teachable.

9. Chris Pritchett says:

Such an important line: “The opportunity to learn is the most important quality a leader can have.” One cannot be an effective leader without being a lifelong learner, but the reputation of bad leaders is such that poor leaders are either unwilling or unable to learn. Learn requires change of mind, humility and the willingness to say, “I don’t have all the answers.” It strikes me that the one commonality of the disciples (except Judas) was teachability. Jesus looked for people who were willing to learn, to form as leaders of his new movement, and they changed the world. Thanks for raising this important issue!

10. Dave Watermulder says:

Hi Colleen,

Welcome to our cohort! It’s good to have you on board and to get a sense of the style and substance of your writing. Thanks for this survey of the journey, and the connections with some of the contemporary writers/thinkers that you engage with. I will see you soon!

Colleen, great to have you in the class. Very thorough and well rounded! Culture context and leadership have all become more and more crucial as I have progressed in this course.

Excited to learn more from your writings.