Moral Truth

Colonialism, as defined by Merriam-Webster is “domination of a people or area by a foreign state or nation : the practice of extending and maintaining a nation’s political and economic control over another people or area[1]” Nigel Biggar, Emeritus Regius Professor of Moral and Pastoral Theology at the University of Oxford, challenges prevailing attitudes towards the colonial past by arguing that the benefits and harms of colonialism are deeply intertwined. He contends that while colonialism undoubtedly inflicted significant harm, it also brought about certain positive contributions.

In his book “Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning,” Biggar explores the complex legacy of the British Empire, acknowledging both its achievements and its atrocities. He emphasizes the need for a nuanced examination of colonial history, recognizing the diverse impacts it had on different societies and regions[2]. However, his approach has generated considerable controversy, with critics accusing him of downplaying or justifying the more egregious aspects of empire, such as slavery, disease, economic exploitation, and violence.

Critics argue that Biggar’s comparative analysis, which draws parallels between colonial actions and those of modern states, serves to mitigate the moral responsibility of the British Empire. Moreover, they contend that his focus on the supposed benefits of colonialism overlooks the profound suffering and injustice experienced by colonized peoples[3]. By attempting to balance the ledger of colonialism, Biggar’s perspective has been met with skepticism and opposition.

Scholars like Priyamvada Gopal, Professor of Postcolonial Studies at the University of Cambridge, criticize Biggar for what they perceive as an attempt to whitewash[4] the crimes of empire. Gopal argues that his comparative approach diminishes the unique and devastating impact of colonialism on colonized peoples, particularly in regions like India where economic exploitation[5] and social upheaval were rampant. Similarly, historians such as Shashi Tharoor, in his book “Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India,” offer scathing critiques of British colonial rule, highlighting the economic exploitation[6], famines, and cultural destruction inflicted upon India by the British Empire.

Despite the criticisms leveled against Biggar’s work, some commentators have praised his efforts to engage with the complexities of colonial history. Scholars like Niall Ferguson, Senior Fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution, applaud Biggar for his courage in challenging prevailing narratives of colonial guilt and victimhood. Ferguson argues that while colonialism undoubtedly had its dark side, it also brought about significant advancements in areas such as governance, infrastructure, and education. He suggests that a more balanced and nuanced understanding of colonialism is necessary to move beyond simplistic moral condemnations[7].

In conclusion, Nigel Biggar’s book “Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning” has sparked intense debate and controversy within academic circles. While some critics accuse him of downplaying the atrocities of empire, others commend him for his nuanced approach to a complex and contentious topic.

The book was challenging for me because overall it seems like he is making excuses for the conduct of empire and attempting to alleviate some guilty conscience. However, there were moments in the book that caused me to pause and reflect on my own perception of moral truth. In the introduction of his book, he writes, “We should forgive our ancestors for not perceiving some moral truths quite as clearly as we do, just as we shall surely need forgiveness from our grandchildren for our own moral dullness.[8]” I kept this in mind constantly as I struggled and continue to struggle with the content of this book.

[1] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colonialism

[2] https://literaryreview.co.uk/cruel-britannia

[3] https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/20/colonialism-a-moral-reckoning-by-nigel-biggar-review-a-flawed-defence-of-empire

[4] Priyamvada Gopal, Insurgent Empire Anticolonial Resistance and British Dissent, 638

[5] Priyamvada Gopal, Insurgent Empire Anticolonial Resistance and British Dissent  109

[6] Shashi Tharoor. Inglorious Empire : What the British Did to India. London: Scribe Publication, 2017., 45

[7] Biggar, Nigel. Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning. HarperCollins UK, 2023, pg 6

[8] Biggar, Nigel. Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning. HarperCollins UK, 2023, pg 23

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

5 responses to “Moral Truth”

Daron, really great analysis and comparison of the pros of this book. Thank you for sharing your perspective. I am so grateful to you and our cohort for continually challenging me to grow and learn. Bless you my friend!

Daron, You did such a great job bringing outside sources into your discussion of this book, sources with varied opinions and insights. I especially like the quote you pulled from Biggar and your closing thoughts: “’We should forgive our ancestors for not perceiving some moral truths quite as clearly as we do, just as we shall surely need forgiveness from our grandchildren for our own moral dullness.’ I kept this in mind constantly as I struggled and continue to struggle with the content of this book. ”

I find this quote challenging and motivating, in a hopeful way. Hoping God will help me grow in my areas of “moral dullness” so that I can see more clearly than I currently do. Thank you for your words and the reminder that we can hold the meaning of this quote in tension with what we are reading or experiencing at any point. That seems to be a key to healing. I appreciate your wisdom.

• mm Daron George says:

Jenny,

I believe tension is the key to healing. We need to be able to hold things we agree with and disagree with. Or a better way I guess for me to say it. We need to hold things we want to change with the tension of the present.

“The book was challenging for me because overall it seems like he is making excuses for the conduct of empire and attempting to alleviate some guilty conscience. However, there were moments in the book that caused me to pause and reflect on my own perception of moral truth.”

This is a book I would love to see you challenge!

Thank you for your insightful dialog!