MONEY …MONEY… MONEY

One of my favorite groups the O’Jay’s has a hit song that has a line in it that says… Money, Money, Money. The lyrics go on to say,” some people got to have it, some people really need it”. I thought of this song as we were told we would be reading about Bitcoin. My initial thought was “WHY”?  When thinking of money and religion/leadership my heart flutters. So many people have gotten tricked by the “mighty dollar”. So I was a skeptic from the very beginning.

I was a bit intrigued by the authors research about statistics. It reminded me of when the pandemic first started. Although we could visibly see people dying in groves, the daily routine was to look at the numbers. The numbers meant something more than what we were witnessing. The numbers gave a person that was willing to take a risk the courage to go out or discouraged them. When trying to listen to your own thoughts there was always that person that said you can’t believe what the news is reporting. My thoughts were some of these same people did not make it to our next conversation.

I also remember the statistics that almost caused me my Social Work license. The questions on the test that still don’t make any sense to me. Statistics continue to play a part in my life I am sure, but what I use most is the stats on whether it will rain or not. My ability to find the mean and the mode went out the window a long time ago. Ok, so math is not my thing unless we are talking about percentages off a sale price (somewhat a joke).

On the subject of risk taking and Bitcoin it takes courage to deal with anything that puts your money at risk. I have heard the statistics of how many people have done well financially with Bitcoin and still the statistics don’t sway me. I imagine that there is statistically a large amount of people that have place their trust in both numbers and money. I can not relate. I have no riches and I don’t follow much statistical data outside of my work.

My fear keeps me from even doing any research on the risk of it all. I have a greater belief that I don’t have to take a risk with. There are no statistics involved but yet an awesome track record. I have a promise that my every need would be supplied. This is the confidence I need to lead, this is also where I place my trust no matter what the numbers read. I won’t say that I will never need to know how to determine if the numbers are right. I am not saying that statistics are of no importance. If Bitcoin is a blessing to someone willing to take a risk, by all means go for it. I’m going let my blessings come from up above. I am confused enough, I don’t need. to be confused with money, money, money.

Shonell Dillon

A daughter of the KING of kings and the LORD of lords. A lover of LIFE!

3 responses to “MONEY …MONEY… MONEY”

I am with you Shonell, I love a good sale! Does it really matter how much I spent if I saved so much? Can you really ever have too much fabric? Okay, I digress! I also do not understand Bitcoin or investments. I have never put in the time and effort to learn because my husband has an MBA and he takes care of our investments and finances. If I ever need to know this information I will put in the effort, but for now, I leave it to him. I am learning more about statistics as we do research, knowing that there is more to the numbers than what we first see/ In what ways can you benefit from understanding some of the information about statistics the authors portray (other than how much you can save from a good sale, which is important information!)?

2. mm Daron George says:

Shonell!

I absolutely love the O’Jays! One of my all-time favorites by them is Love Train. I won’t place the lyrics here because you won’t be able to get the song out of your head for weeks. In your post, you said, “My fear keeps me from even doing any research on the risk of it all.” I am curious, does this apply only to bitcoin or does it play into other areas? I know you are a business owner and that takes a significant amount of risk and yet you overcame your fear of starting (if you had fear of starting).

Hi Shonell, Thank you for sharing your personal experience with stats, numbers, and the focus on money. I especially like your concluding remark, “I have a greater belief that I don’t have to take a risk with. There are no statistics involved but yet an awesome track record. I have a promise that my every need would be supplied. This is the confidence I need to lead, this is also where I place my trust no matter what the numbers read.” That is such a good reminder that God has an amazing track record and we can securely place our trust in God’s person and ccare. Do you see any risk in having faith in and entrusting our wellbeing to God? Thanks for your comments.