Misleading Maps of Meaning?

“Critical thinkers have an abiding interest in the problematic aspects of their own thinking, and they seek out these problem areas, target them, and change something about their thinking in order to reason more rationally, logically, and justifiably.”1

Thanks to this program and blogging every week, I am slowly, painfully, and finally learning how to embrace critical thinking. Therefore, I have been waiting for a few months to actually be more critical of a book, instead of buying into most of the author’s premise. Since Maps of Meaning by Jordan Peterson is undoubtedly a challenging read due to its complex subject matter, I have decided to take the critical approach to this insightful book. After reading the first two paragraphs, I thought, “Whoa, I’m in trouble.” For me it was a tough read, and I was very grateful for when he mentioned science and psychology throughout his writing because these subjects helped me to understand the book a little better.

Peterson argues that human cognition is deeply rooted in our evolutionary past, where our ancestors grappled with the chaotic forces of nature and developed intricate belief systems to impose order and meaning onto their surroundings. He delves into the psychological significance of myths and symbols, illustrating how they serve as maps for navigating the complexities of existence and providing individuals with a sense of purpose and direction. After reading a few pages I was easily reminded of Joseph Campbell’s book, The Hero With A Thousand Faces. In this book Campbell writes, “The purpose of the present book is to uncover some of the truths disguised for us under the figures of religion and mythology by bringing together a multitude of not-too-difficult examples…”2 A few of Campbell’s examples are symbols, psychology, religion, myths, heroes, and mother earth. All quite similar to Peterson’s book.

Since this was a tough read it was actually easier to be more critical of the book. But I also thought, “This is a very intelligent man writing a masterful work and I am going to attempt to be critical of his years of research, insight, and thinking?” Yeah, I’m laughing too. But here are three areas where my weak critical thinking is justified.

Peterson believes archetypal myths are universal across cultures.

“We also presently possess inaccessible and complete form the traditional wisdom of a large part of the human race—possess an accurate description of the myths and rituals that contain and condition the implicit and explicit values of almost everyone who has ever lived.”3 He believes the world has three elements across all cultures.

1. The Great Mother, which is nature, the source and final resting place of all things.
  2. The Great Father, which is culture, protective and cumulative ancestral wisdom.
  3. The Divine Son, which is the process mediates between unexplored and explored territory.

Counterexamples to cultural universality are abundant, such as the Pirahã people of Brazil who have no creation myths or interest in beliefs that go beyond personal experience.4 The Iroquois people of North America do have myths about creation and other aspects of the world, but they do not follow the Father/Mother/Son motif that Peterson thinks is universal.5 Therefore, of the thousands of cultures in the world, Peterson has tapped into only one line of thinking, so his maps of meaning in this area may not be entirely accurate.

Peterson believes that myths are the psychological origins of morality.             

“Meaning means implication for behavioral output; logically, therefore, myth presents information relevant to the most fundamental of moral problems.”6

Billions of people have taken their morality from religion. But there are many exceptions, including:

1. The system of social morality developed by Confucius more than 2500 years ago, which is still influential in China. It emphasizes family and social harmony instead of spiritual harmony.
  2. The personal moral systems of around all the people who have no religious affiliation or beliefs.
  3. The moral views of many philosophers who do not believe in Jehovah God, from David Hume to Daniel Dennett, who have found secular bases for ethics.

Peterson believes religious mythology is the right way to approach moral thinking and acting.

“Mythic truth is information, derived from past experience—derived from past observation of behavior—relevant from the perspective of fundamental motivation and effect.”7 There are many important philosophers who have proposed secular grounds for morality. Three are:

1. David Hume and Adam Smith based morality on sympathy and other moral sentiments, independent of religion.
  2. Immanuel Kant was religious, but his moral theory was based on rights and duties that he thought could be established by reason alone.

In Maps of Meaning, Jordan Peterson argues that mythology provides a psychological tool that helps us create meaning in a chaotic world. This is true even though he is not as critical with his own premise. Being critical of this book reminds me no matter how much research I have done, I can still be wrong or look at my premise from rose colored glasses. So I wrestle with two questions:

1. Where am I wrong in my research, findings, and answers regarding my NPO?
  2. Will I have the courage to mention when I have discovered errors in my research and answers regarding my NPO?

1. Richard Paul and Linda Elder. The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking. 7.
  2. Joseph Campbell. The Hero with a Thousand Faces. xii.
  3. Jordan Peterson. Maps of Meaning. 136.
  4. Daniel Everett. Don’t Sleep, There are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle.
  5. Erminnie A Smith. Myths of the Iroquois. Retrieved March 21, 2024, from https://www.gutenberg.org/files/46140/46140-h/46140-h.htm.
  6. Jordan Peterson. Maps of Meaning. 13.
  7. 390.

Todd E Henley

Todd is an avid cyclist who loves playing frisbee golf, watching NASCAR, making videos, photography, playing Madden football, and watching sport. He is addicted to reading, eating fruits and vegetables, and drinking H2O. His passion is talking about trauma, epigenetics, chromosomes, and the brain. He has been blessed with a sensationally sweet wife and four fun creative children (one of which resides in heaven). In his free time he teaches at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary and is the Founder/Executive Director of Restore Counseling Center.

7 responses to “Misleading Maps of Meaning?”

Hi Todd,
    I appreciate how you tackled this book critically. And I had a similar response when I first picked up the book!
    Thank you for pulling out this quote from Paul and Elder, “Critical thinkers have an abiding interest in the problematic aspects of their own thinking, and they seek out these problem areas, target them, and change something about their thinking in order to reason more rationally, logically, and justifiably.”
    I would love to ask Jordan Peterson what has changed or been re-evaluated in his own thinking since he wrote this book. Since I can’t, I will ask you, What is one thing you’ve been re-evaluating in your own thinking since beginning this program?

• Hey Jenny. It’s hilarious that since you can’t ask Jordan a question, you are asking me. And it’s a good question too. the main thing I have been evaluating is I need to become more of a critical thinker and express myself more in groups. I even need to express myself more in groups when I disagree with someone. This is still hard for me and I need to keep working on this. Thanks for the question.

Oh the courage to be wrong! I believe our culture goes farther and farther away. We need more public apologies without the worry that we will be sued.
    I feel kindred with you as you also found parallels to Campbells book. Thank you for the education from a critical thinking perspective. I am very unsure of this author, and my husband saw it on my syllabus and had things to say (I try to keep my own opinion open (not very well)). I just have something in my gut saying to be careful. I am thankful you wrote you post and its giving me a lot to reflect on!

3. I love the response that we need more public apologies without the worry that we will be sued. I’m gonna use that one this week. Thank you again, Jana for speaking into my life! 😊

Loved the posts, I believe this is exactaly what graduate level thinking is meant to do, get us to thinking more critically. Not an easy journey and can be uncomfortable, but I do believe it leads to much better conversations with others in the “real world”, who have legitimate and compelling questions. Putting your “critical glasses” on when reading anything is a wise practice, thanks for modeling this Todd!

5. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Todd!

I really enjoyed reading your writing. I agree that Peterson’s smart thinking makes our efforts a little harder this week.
    Regarding religious mythology, I am grateful to Peterson for helping me to see the patterns he says are found in all religious narratives. However, in his YouTube broadcast he asked an important question regarding the patterns he noticed in the Bible written by many people and over a long period of time, he asked, “where did the wisdom of writing these patterns come from?”
    It was at this point that I was enlightened by Peterson’s thoughts and questions. I saw that it was precisely at that point that God worked with His great wisdom.
    Blessings.

Todd,

Thank you for being brave enough to tackle this book through a critical lens. It was a challenging read for me as well. I appreciate this, you wrote, “Peterson argues that human cognition is deeply rooted in our evolutionary past, where our ancestors grappled with the chaotic forces of nature and developed intricate belief systems to impose order and meaning onto their surroundings.” This was profound for me and I am still unpacking it. I also appreciate you relating Peterson to Campbell. Campbell has come up so many times over the last few weeks. I am considering a more critical read of his book. I appreciate your voice, please keep it coming.