Mining for Gold in the Classroom

After reading Tom Camacho’s book, Mining for Gold, my mind is full of thoughts of coaching. While I ran track and cross country in school, and so know something of coaching from that standpoint, I know very little of coaching from the author’s point of view. Basically, God as a refiner, and transforms us until we reflect His own image. [1] We as leaders in turn need to see the value of people around us. [2] I found lists throughout the book, in every section. These were included to help the reader make application of the material given. In one of the sections there was a list on building a coaching leadership culture. It is this list that I have chosen to focus on for this blog, and to apply these items to teaching young people. [3] I have chosen to do this because it is the most applicable to my own situation.

Pray

In this item, the author recommends praying over your own life and those of the people around you, in my case, my students. [4] This is something I do regularly. It is in fact common practice for me to lay hands on the desks of my students before the day begins and pray by name for each of the ones that will sit in those desks during the day. Scripture encourages us to pray for all people in 1 Timothy 2:1.

Depend on the Holy Spirit

The author states, “The Holy Spirit is constantly at work in the lives of people.” [5] There are several passages about spiritual gifts, and I think 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 makes it particularly plain that they are given through the Holy Spirit. In thinking about my students, I know that those that are believers have been given spiritual gifts as well. And I know that those that are not yet believers have the Holy Spirit at work in their lives because “it is not God’s will that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9) [6] In working with them, I must depend on the Holy Spirit in all I do.

Be Real

If anyone can see through you, it is teenagers. They know when you are being fake with them. They know if you genuinely care about them, or if you are just putting on a show. Camacho advises us to be honest about who you are. [7] I would add that when working with young people, be honest with them as well. They already know the truth. Don’t pretend.

Be An Example

This one makes me think of the times in Scripture where Paul will say “imitate me as I imitate Christ” such as in 1 Corinthians 11:1. I strive to live my life in such a way that my students, and my co-workers, will see Christ in me. I believe that is what this point is all about.

Be Patient

Camacho says, “Let God work out His will in His way and in His timing.” [8] Patience can be tricky working with middle school students. If you’re not careful, everything could become a battle. You have to take a step back from the situation at hand, take some deep breaths sometimes, and give it to God. You have to do exactly what Camacho is saying here… Let God work it out.

Mine For Gold Everywhere, All Of The Time

I love this step – see every individual as a treasure! [9] Don’t be guilty of lumping them all together as a group or a class. Think of them individually, even as someone’s child. Know their parent, and the family they come from. Know where they live and their homelife. Then see beyond that. Allow them to thrive with you! [10]

Build A Culture Of Grace

2 Corinthians 12:9 reminds us that God’s grace is made perfect in our weakness. [11] Camacho says that God’s grace is His supernatural power to change everything. [12] I’m so thankful for His grace in my own life, I can’t help but extend it to my students when they need it.

Allow All The Gifts To Play

I need to allow my students to express whatever gifts they have to bring to the table, not only the gifts that I relate to me the most. [13] It doesn’t need to be just about what I most enjoy. [14] I need to keep in mind that the gifts of the Spirit are many, and my gifts are few. All of them need to be welcome in my classroom.

In summary, this book taught me much about coaching and leadership, which I was unfamiliar with. I was able to apply it to my role as a teacher, and I enjoyed that.

______________________________________________________________________

[1] Camacho, Tom. 2019. Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders through Coaching. First published. Nottingham: IVP, p.1.
[2] Ibid, p.26.
[3] Ibid, p.78-79.
[4] Ibid, p.78.
[5] Ibid, p.78.
[6] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles, p.1540.
[7] Camacho, Tom. 2019. Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders through Coaching. First published. Nottingham: IVP, p.78.
[8] Ibid, p.79.
[9] Ibid, p.79.
[10] Ibid, p.79.
[11] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles, p.1463.
[12] Camacho, Tom. 2019. Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders through Coaching. First published. Nottingham: IVP, p.79.
[13] Ibid, p.79.
[14] Ibid, p.79.

Tonette Kellett

Missionary, teacher, Bible student, traveler ... Having lived in Kenya and Korea, I now live in Mississippi and work with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

9 responses to “Mining for Gold in the Classroom”

Being real with teenagers! I couldn’t agree more! In the counseling office, I either win or lose their respect in the first 2 minutes!
    Tonette,
    I love how you applied this book to your life and leadership role! I like how you wrote your first paragraph. You showed the ‘working out’ very well. I am hoping to improve this in my blogs. I appreciate the example you provide.
    You share:
    “Think of them individually, even as someone’s child. Know their parent, and the family they come from.” This is what I like about you Tonette. You have shared in other blog posts how you know your students personally. I know your influence (Spirit led patience and prayer) is finding a deep place in your students!

• Tonette Kellett says:

Kristy,

Thank you for your ever-present encouragement! You are a blessing to me. I pray I am that same blessing to my students each and every day I am with them.

Tonette, I so enjoyed reading your blog and learning about your practical application of Camacho’s Coaching Leadership to your classroom full of middle school students. As I read, as is so often the case when I read your blogs, I couldn’t help thinking what an amazing gift you must be to your students and their families.

I especially like the section entitled, “Mine for Gold Everywhere, All of the Time.” I find this to be so exciting, as well, in the students with whom I work. I appreciate your words, ” Know their parent, and the family they come from. Know where they live and their homelife. Then see beyond that. Allow them to thrive with you!” Do you find that this approach to teaching comes naturally, or is this something of which you are continually reminding yourself? It does seem like some people are natural “coaches.”

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and insight!

Jenny,

Thank you for your comment. I think that with my students, since I have taught most of their parents, a relationship with their families is natural at this point. I don’t really have to try at it. In the beginning it took some effort. Now however, it just seems second nature.

You are certainly mining for Gold, Tonette! What a beautiful thing you do. Is your administration okay with you praying on the students or is it just sometining you do when they are not present? I absolutely love it!

Thanks for sharing.

5. Tonnette,
    Thank you for sharing what you learned through this process. I appreciate your application of how it applied immediately to teaching and the benefit of others.

Bless you!

Tonnette!

I love your blogs because I always know that when I read one I am going to find out more about you!

“Allow All The Gifts To Play”

This is key and always a reminder for a TYPE A personality like me… I am working really hard to allow others to try, and I don’t have to do everything myself.

I wonder…. what has been one of your biggest surprises when you have allowed all the gifts to play?!

• Tonette Kellett says:

Alana,

Thank you for your kind comments. As for my students and their gifts, I continue to be pleasantly surprised when I step back from trying to do everything myself – as you pointed out – and allow them to thrive in the classroom. Some are natural leaders, some are artistic, some mathematical, or logical, others express themselves very well in front of the room in demonstrating things. I just have to give them opportunities to shine. I try to do that.

Tonette,
    Today is March 28,2023. You interviewed for a position at your school, a coach for fellow teachers today. Wow! What a super opportunity for you! I know that you would/will do great in this role!! I am glad you feel good about your interview. Now the waiting. In this waiting time, I pray that the Spirit encourages you. I pray you can rest in Him.
    I love how you have the courage to put yourself in the position of helping other teachers. This is different from being a teacher. You are a leader among leaders!
    I know that this is true of you:
    “Camacho advises us to be honest about who you are.”
    I know that you were 100% honest in your interview and this is how you are in your classroom and among the staff. May God bless your genuine/hard work!